Husky 240 & white smoke

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aarone1991

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I went to use my Husky 240 chainsaw today that is about a year old and it started just fine no issues. However, when I would push the throttle white smoke came out.

So I started it and let it idle at high speed for about 30 seconds and no smoke came out. But when I pressed the throttle it began to smoke again. Why is it doing this? Why would it only smoke when I push the throttle. It also began to start shaking so i turned it off.

Also i dont know if it's relevant but after shutting the chainsaw down the end of the bar was very very hot.

Any help would be appreciated.

Is the white smoke coming from the exhaust port, or off of the bar? Any chance the smoke is condensation burning out of the muffler?
Could be condensation. Steam usually make white smoke. That was my first thought until he said the bar got very hot. Clutch could be slipping too if the sprocket tip is locking up.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I had an interesting issue once,
Had one saw that the case bolts had come loose in which bar oil was leaking into the crankcase and through one of the bolt holes on the flywheel side.
Anywho white smoke out of the exhaust cause it was burning bar oil leaking from the tank into the crankcase

On a side note, when the saw was off it was literally smoking from the cylinder! Confused I looked and the fins were dripping in hot fricken oil lol
After some detective work I found that the bolt that was loose was on the flywheel side, and it was leaking oil. When the flywheel spins it creates a low pressure zone just behind it, which sucked bar oil out and around the loose bolt and was spewing it all over the cooling fins!

What a mess to say the least... had to pull the flywheel to get to it among the ignition module as well and then tightened all the bolts. Problem solved

Did someone accidentally top off the fuel tank with bar oil? The only saws I have had that did that were Homelite top handle XL's that had a faulty duckbill that allowed bar oil to backup into the crankcase.

Could be bar oil being sucked into the crankcase instead of going to the bar. That would explain why the bar was getting hot.
See what happens if you empty the oil tank as much as possible, remove the chain and reattach the bar only, then run it. See if the smoking at full throttle stops.

Try this first-dump out your current fuel and mix some fresh stuff. Cut a couple minutes to see if it resolves itself.

Your bar heat is another issue. Does the chain move freely with your hands when you rotate it with the saw off?

Try this first-dump out your current fuel and mix some fresh stuff. Cut a couple minutes to see if it resolves itself.

Your bar heat is another issue. Does the chain move freely with your hands when you rotate it with the saw off?

I emptied the tank, let it idle until it died and then put a new mix in and it has stopped smoking.

The chain does move freely by hand.

Latest posts

Back