How do you file the propriety husqvarna chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phourgenres

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
On the husqvarna chains they have a weird depth gauge that hooks around and form a upside down j, unlike the upright tooth with oregon. I can't find any literature online how to file these down. I tried the traditional way, but its way too much work to do manually. Even the husqvarna filing kit is setup for the "oregon style" depth gauge.
'

And to think I bought a 100 ft roll of that barbed wire.
When it first came out (1998?), Oregon claimed it was 30% faster than their fastest chain, but it’s actually 30% slower.
An Oregon rep said, “file the damn things off!”
Anyway I sold that chain to wood ticks, hort wankers and rock mechanics, who didn’t need to know any better.

Oregon Vanguard chain?

If so, file the part of the j closest to the front of the cutter down straight across, .025 below top of cutter is the recommended amount. I think.

Yeah, got a lot of those chains in tote, on the back of a shelf.

That's what it sounds like to me as well. It has nothing to do with Husky vs. Oregon chain - as it is Oregon Vanguard, that has been branded for Husky.

Hopefully this model has been discontinued, even though it IS possible to make them work quite well (the cutters themselves are very good chisel ones - it is the "green" rakers that are the problem) - at least as long as room for chip transport isn't a factor.

Neither Oregon nor Husky tried to sell such chain over here, that I know of - but of course I don't know everything.

And to think I bought a 100 ft roll of that barbed wire.
When it first came out (1998?), Oregon claimed it was 30% faster than their fastest chain, but it’s actually 30% slower.
An Oregon rep said, “file the damn things off!”
Anyway I sold that chain to wood ticks, hort wankers and rock mechanics, who didn’t need to know any better.
Any comparison that showed that the Vanguard was 30% faster (or faster at all) must have been against other "green" chain (that mostly was semi-chisel back then, not chisel), or with Vanguard chain that had been specially "doctored" - and certainly not a fair comparison against "yellow" chisel chain with the same cutters.

Either that, or the comparison was "staged" in some other way - if it ever happened.

I had one of those on my 460 rancher when I bought it. It was a real pain doing those depth gauges
Me too, I am pretty sure they are not designed to be filed thus the curled over raker. The amount of time it would take to file each of those off even on a 20” full comp would cost more than a new chain without them.
Not only will you probably blow through a small flat file it’s gonna take you probably an hour!

I’ve never tried but I’m assuming it ain’t worth the time :)

I heard so much whining about Vanguard chain from you guys, I almost refused when someone gave me a loop.

Turns out it’s damn fast and smooth chain, and filing those depth gauges isn’t any different from any other chain I have. Just what is it you have trouble with? The only negative I found is that it’s hard to get a file in there the first time, but after that no problems.

I got fed up filing the vanguard chain I had. Threw it away before I got halfway through it. It was free so didnt hurt my feelings.

^ This^

I heard so much whining about Vanguard chain from you guys, I almost refused when someone gave me a loop. Turns out it’s damn fast and smooth chain, and filing those depth gauges isn’t any different from any other chain I have.

Several posts like this in the forums.

Any comparison that showed that the Vanguard was 30% faster (or faster at all) must have been against other "green" chain (that mostly was semi-chisel, not chisel), or with Vanguard chain that had been specially "doctored" . . .

Good to 'see' you posting SawTroll!

Philbert

I was pulling bars and chains off of 10 series Mccullochs today and there was an additional 8 loops of vanguard on those saws, as well there was quite the mix of other safety chains. Bleak day for chains I would actually use.

If I was inclined to run a “safety” chain, vanguard would probably be the one, as I am not into the tote they go. Separate totes for the other types.

If you get a loop that the file skates across the depth gauge it will probably need to be ground, sometimes it seems like a bit of chrome is in the wrong place. A dremel tool will work if you do not have access to a chain grinder.

….

If I was inclined to run a “safety” chain, vanguard would probably be the one, as I am not into the tote they go. Separate totes for the other types.

…..

I certainly would have wanted to try Vanguard as well, if "green" chain was an option. It just isn't though.

Recently had no choice but to buy a saw from a chain hardware store or face a week of downtime in a very remote area.

They only offered safety chain for sale.

Their tech told me he is not allowed to use the words “kickback” or “safety” when describing chain now. Only “aggressive” or “regular” and apologized they didn’t have any “aggressive” chain I could purchase.

I told him that’s OK; a majority of the potential customers in there were probably better off with safety chain.

Recently had no choice but to buy a saw from a chain hardware store or face a week of downtime in a very remote area.

They only offered safety chain for sale.

Their tech told me he is not allowed to use the words “kickback” or “safety” when describing chain now. Only “aggressive” or “regular” and apologized they didn’t have any “aggressive” chain I could purchase.

I told him that’s OK; a majority of the potential customers in there were probably better off with safety chain.

We bought 3 or 4 new 362s and a 462 over the last year or two. The Stihl dealer wouldnt allow them to leave with normal chain. Stihl policy.

They did give loops of normal chain though, just "sold separately... off the books"

Latest posts

Back