Dolmar 5105 issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only 50cc that pulls 3/8 full comp to my liking. There is a size/weight penalty though. Good compliment to a 70cc or larger saw, but too big to be a true "small" saw. Good all arounder IMO. I've worked on quite a few of them now and haven't experienced the problems that people claim. I have quite a collection of 5100, 5105, 510, and 460 parts now so I'm sure I'll see what all the complaints are about at some point.

No problem. I'll try my best to make myself clear. The 5100 had problems early on, and I don't care for some of it's design. I personally think they're better options available, if you have a little extra money. It's a good value and is all the saw many people need.[emoji111]

Only 50cc that pulls 3/8 full comp to my liking. There is a size/weight penalty though. Good compliment to a 70cc or larger saw, but too big to be a true "small" saw. Good all arounder IMO. I've worked on quite a few of them now and haven't experienced the problems that people claim. I have quite a collection of 5100, 5105, 510, and 460 parts now so I'm sure I'll see what all the complaints are about at some point.
I would guess most of those saws are long gone. The worst was the spun bearing problem, which ment a new case. The carbs were also pretty bad with erratic idling. A run of bad cylinders and overheating didn't help. Again that stuff has been fixed.

You need to find that out yourself, that's a part of the threat package. Look for carburetor tuning in this forum - I could tell you what I know but what difference would that make?
I’ve always been pretty good at adjusting carbs, but I plan on putting some fresh 50:1 mix in it tomorrow and re-tune.

So the H445 is now house stained free, but you personally reject it as "not good enough" because you are just "better"?

Andyshine77 was responding to the "Why not?" in your quote - talking about the 5105, not your h445. I was a bit confused too before taking a second look at it.

Andyshine77 was responding to the "Why not?" in your quote - talking about the 5105, not your h445. I was a bit confused too before taking a second look at it.

Yeah I guess so, I was responding to the red wine I've consumed so far and it makes no sense at all.

But thanks for clearing that out.

In defense of the 5105;

It has a remarkable powerband for a 50cc saw. Mine has power everywhere with instantaneous throttle response. Lightning. I believe mine is a 2013 model?.

Yes it's fat. Very. Fat.

But man, that motor..!! It feels like one of my jonny 590's with just a bit more everywhere. Delicious.

I haven't many hours on mine (50?-75?), so time will tell.

I paid 125.00 for it, so I guess I did ok. Need a new chain, though.
I'd say you did very well, paid about that much for my beater 5100, which needed some parts and work. One good thing about the that saw, it has the torque to pull a 20" bar in hardwood, most other 50cc saws are not all that happy with that configuration.

I'd say you did very well, paid about that much for my beater 5100, which needed sime parts and work. One good thing about the that saw is that it has the torque to pull a 20" bar in hardwood, most other 50cc saws are not all that happy with that configuration.
Thanks, Andy! I will try to find an 18” chain for it tomorrow.

I had to get a chain made for it today. It takes 64 3/8 drive links. Hard to find a loop around here. The bar is not great, but is straight. I will have to order a bar later. No Dolmar dealers around here.

On older saws, I used to adjust the high carb adjustment until it had a little “burble” at high speeds, but on these newer saws, I don’t get that, but I don’t want them to “scream”. I think I have the 5105 about right. I’d rather have it a little rich. Opinions welcome on this. I don’t have a tach.

On older saws, I used to adjust the high carb adjustment until it had a little “burble” at high speeds, but on these newer saws, I don’t get that, but I don’t want them to “scream”. I think I have the 5105 about right. I’d rather have it a little rich. Opinions welcome on this. I don’t have a tach.
The 5100 is rev limited, tuning in the cut or with a tachometer is the best option. Caution must be used! the limiter can sound like for stroke burble if you're not familiar with the sound, and you can go too lean trying to clean up that burble.

The 5100 is rev limited, tuning in the cut or with a tachometer is the best option. Caution must be used! the limiter can sound like for stroke burble if you're not familiar with the sound, and you can go too lean trying to clean up that burble.
Thanks! I’ll open the high a little more to see how it sounds. I don’t have the burble, but it sounds about right.

Back