Help with a 372 clutch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, first off, its one of my landscapers fathers that he asked me to work on. Yeah, I'd be glad too. I'm regretting those words now. Heres the problem. Had several air leaks. 1 in the fuel line, 1 in the impulse where it comes through the intake block. Took care of those. Theres one remaining one pto side seal. Put a piston stop in the bore and tried wrenching it off. Wasnt coming off. So, got the air impact. I've had one saw that I couldnt get it off with. That one I had to heat up the clutch past melting red and it finally came off. Put the air gun to it, it was on there so f****** tight it pushed the stop up and boogered up the spark plug threads. The piston stop was down tight, before you ask. Got the threads all back to normal, tried it again, same result. I dont want to heat it, not yet. Do you guys think some PB on the clutch and crank will help. Dont want to send it away for a spark plug hole insert! Or is there something else that Im missing that will work?

Are you sure youre going the right way?
Id be using rope instead of the piston stop. No way to damage the saw when done right. Normally I tap my clutches off with a screwdriver. Take a picture of the clutch and post it.

Hmm, that might be a simple fix. Worked all day to come home to this and my brains fried. I'll try the rope, it worked a long time ago. I might just go back to it. The piston stop is convenient, but for the occasional stripped threads I guess better safe than sorry. Thanks, something that simple!!! You know I'm tired. And yes, I'm going the right way. I'll let you know tomorrow what the outcome was. @Ginger15

Do you have clutch removal socket, if not make one with an old socket and angle grinder. Use impact with spark plug in, make sure you are turning to the right. Never fails, replace seal and o-ring.

Got the clutch remival tool. Just went out because it was killing me. Put some rope down the hole, at least it didnt strip out the spark plug hole. Still no go. I mean this sucker is on there. Put a little PB on it, letting it sit overnight. I'll win, the question is when....

Goes on clutch side crank shaft, under oil pump bushing. O-ring, bushing, washer, then oil pump after new seal. Also make sure to use thread locker, sealant on pump bolts, top bolt is open to bottom end.

K, thanks. Yeah, easier said than done. I already tried that but I value my wrist! Lol. It wasnt coming off. Had to heat it again and it barely moved. Heated it again and got it to move enough to put upwards pressure on it. And guess what? No rubber o ring. Somebodys been in there before. Boogered it up a little but it can be replaced. I'll be happy when this saw walks out the door.

Back