What's wrong with me? My chain? My saw? See this dust flying fine as flour?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No I think it's an illusion. No chisel in this chain. I always buy chisel but this came on the saw.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Pretty basic stuff here.

'Most' of the cutters appear to be semi-chisel, so they will never have a point at the corner. Not sure about the apparent mixed cutters on the chain (?).

But if you can see light reflecting from any cutter edges, they are not sharp.

The depth gauges appear to be filed funny, and inconsistently. It is the top of the depth gauge that matters, and they should be rounded over to match a new, factory profile. Rounding them over towards the gullet does not do anything.

If the depth gauges are too high, you will be taking small bites, and could end up with more powder.

Even if the chain is correctly sharpened, you may end up with powder, if the wood you are cutting is extremely hard and dry. But that chain could use some attention.

Philbert

Seriously, sharpen the chain and show us your starting point. Sharp chains stand out, whereas dull chains are difficult to tell from a picture. When I look at someones working chain, I see if it will prick my finger tip. Looking don't tell a whole lot.

Ok... I was second guessing after looking at the picture. I made two laps around that chain and ALL links are the same. There are only semi chisel (Stihl) and no RS chisel teeth in this loop. I'm sure of it.

Yes that tooth on the right sure looks like full chisel, but no links have that square edge that seems to be pictured. ALL has a round edge profile. Weird because the picture sure does look it. EDIT: Looked at the picture on a computer screen and it's clear that it's just the light making the illusion of a chisel cutter.

I only buy full chisel. Unfortunately the saw came with this loop on it. Seems like lots of guys just buy what the store sells or maybe hit mud/rocks and like that stuff.

If you do not understand what Harley an Philbert are saying, just trash it and start with a new chain. Unless you are gunny.
I definitely understand what full chisel is. Have used it since the beginning. Not sure why the picture looks it but it's an illusion. I spun the loop twice after seeing this discussion, and all side tooth profiles are round (no sharp square edge).

Ok, clean the gulley and file a C into those teeth.

This was sharpened on an HF grinder since the tooth lengths varied terribly when I bought the saw. Used a caplier and the grinder to get them within 0.010 of each other (and not much life left I realize) . May have to hand file to get the C back and will be close to gone by then. Just ordered an Oregon LPX loop.

Buy this.

STIHL 5605 007 1029 Complete Saw Chain Filing Kit For 3/8-Inch, 13/64-Inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002YT2UUS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ap9JDbS2PE0TB

File to the angles on the guide & use the supplied gauge to get all your depth gauges, ( the shark fins), correct.

Husky has something similar but I’ve never used theirs.

Consistency is the goal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I use that guide as well and it works great once you learn how to use it.

OP What kind of wood are you cutting? Green/dry what species. Some wood can be very hard on a chain. I can cut 5 times the amount of green oak compared to dry pecan on a single sharpening. Are you cutting forks or strait grained wood. Forks will dull a chain faster then strait grain wood.

Back