Damage to saw by starting up and not using

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mathewl1989

Reaction score
Hi

My company does regular weekly checks on a Stihl saw by basically starting it up and running it at high revs for 20 seconds and then shutting down. It rarely gets used for cutting.

Can someone tell me if this is bad for the saw and how it is bad, and also if so if there is any evidence or links that they can throw my way to prove so?

Thanks in advance

You best just let it idle for awhile til all the parts inside can get lubricated instead of just revving up a dry saw til fuel/oil mix get to them. Maybe revv it up a few times after its idled and warmed up for a few minutes. Nothing like the death of a two stroke engine from p revving a cold motor.

Steve Sidwell

If given the option I would run the saws empty and store them with no fuel in them. Unnecessary to put extra wear on them and not good to run them at high revs without a warm up period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Steve

thanks for the reply. other than that is there any other damage or negative impact on the saw from doing this?

we currently use the Stihl longlife pre mixed fuel as it can often sit there without been used for a long time

If given the option I would run the saws empty and store them with no fuel in them. Unnecessary to put extra wear on them and not good to run them at high revs without a warm up period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At least in my area (winter, sub zero temps), fuel freezes at 90 below. SO, fuel is a natural anti-freeze. Do not drain! Let it sit and protect against any lingering water-like residuals.

Kind of mixed on it myself.

On one hand in order for the saw to run then it has to have fuel/lubricant in all the area's that it needs it, on the other hand I prefer to let a saw warm up for a half minute to a minute myself (maybe just an old way of thinking) but letting the ring/rings warm and expand without red lining it out of the gate.

With that said what is considered "high revs" for 20 seconds? WOT? if so then if there isn't a load on the engine then I think it's looking for trouble when going that long of a period.

Since fuel is being left in the saw then make sure to shake the saw some to mix it up again before starting it. Just my 2 cents worth of opinion and 2 cents wont get you anything worth a dam.

You best just let it idle for awhile til all the parts inside can get lubricated instead of just revving up a dry saw til fuel/oil mix get to them. Maybe revv it up a few times after its idled and warmed up for a few minutes. Nothing like the death of a two stroke engine from p revving a cold motor.

Steve Sidwell

Why would you need to let it idle to get the parts lubricated if the oil if the oil is mixed in with the gas?

I want to make sure it's getting mix to the bearings, all of them. That's just the way I am. I've never had but one saw failure. Was sold a so call plated piston. Found out after running a few tanks it wasn't. Bare aluminum on bare aluminum don't work. That company no longer gets my business. My first saw was made in 1983, and its still running. I warm up my 2stroke equipment before I run them and haven't had any problems. Same as a 2stroke dirtbike, warm them up before riding.

Steve Sidwell

I never let my saws warm up and I have never had one fail because of it. I raced 2 stroke motorcycles for over 20 years and did the same with them. Crank'em up and let'er rip. No issues what so ever. But I do warm up a 4 stroke but only briefly and hammer down.

I'm not an expert, but starting cold and going right to WOT with no load doesn't sound like it can be good for the saw.

I start mine and let them run for a short time (10 or so seconds) at throttle lock. Blurp it a couple times, then set it down and let it idle as I put on my PPE.

When I shut it down at the end of the day, I go WOT then hit the kill switch and leave it WOT until it winds down.

I just can't do it, like my equipment too much in fear something would happen. Don't care too much for thumpers.

Steve Sidwell

I'm the same way, MAYBE, it doesn't matter, I ain't finding out the hard way, I let my saws warm up a bit before WOT, or heavy load.

I'm not taking that chance, I have too much invested in my saws, I've done things that way with my "Old Reliable" 266XP for over 28 years, and my 23 Compact, Top Handle for more than 25 years, Both still running Excellent without any Major Repairs, just normal maintenance, think that I will keep do things the way that I have been, seems to be working;)

Personally, I just couldn't bring myself to Piss Rev, one of my own saws cold, a Brother in Laws Stihl?;):surprised3::):laughing::laughing::laughing:

Doug :cheers:

Retired firefighter. Each Ladder truck and heavy rescue had several saws. Start every morning. Idle until warm piss rev a bit idle a bit. Refueled and put back. Keys to success, the dedicated driver operator each shift does truck and equipment checks. On emergency scene, the same operator starts any saw needed. Guaranteed start and run, no flooding. Concept is ownership.

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

You must be talking of fire dept. I'm an AC tech by trade and we service fire stations. I see this being done by the fire fighters at multiple stations when im there for ac service call. They start them and let them idle on the concrete and rev them up on concrete to see if bars are oiling. It makes my skin cringe to see them bouncing around on the concrete. I start my saws once a month rather they need it or not I let the amsoul and nonethenol furl sit in my tanks full. The non full tanks will pull moisture out of the air. I do drain my bar oil when I store my saws cuz the heat pushes it out of all most every saw I have and it makes a mess

I never let my saws warm up and I have never had one fail because of it. I raced 2 stroke motorcycles for over 20 years and did the same with them. Crank'em up and let'er rip. No issues what so ever. But I do warm up a 4 stroke but only briefly and hammer down.

Not everyone has been so lucky with that procedure...

Not everyone has been so lucky with that procedure...

To be fare I don't usually let anything sit more then a week or two. So it's not like the oil has dried up from the last operation. And the average temp is pretty hot here in TX so when it 90+ degrees, warm up is a relative term.
Now as for how a 2 stroke runs in different climates thats something else. I always loved when a cold dry front came through because a 2 stroke would run better then when it's hot and muggy. Down here it can be 70/80 degrees one day and 30 the next.

Latest posts

Back