3/8 vs 404 sharp-gevity... is it true that 404 holds an edge better in dirty firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

777funk

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score

I know, I know... don't believe everything you see on TV (YT in this case)... but this seems pretty convincing! Maybe he hit some trash with the 3/8 chain and killed it early. More tests may be needed. But this video about has me buying a 100' roll of 404 and selling any saws that can't run it... lol.

What's your experience?

i know this is a chain thread but that saw is a bad S O B ! what saw is it and who ported it . tell us about the saw and stuff. well i finally got to the part of video tree monkey 661! S O B tree monkey makes a fine saw better!

I know, I know... don't believe everything you see on TV (YT in this case)... but this seems pretty convincing! Maybe he hit some trash with the 3/8 chain and killed it early. More tests may be needed. But this video about has me buying a 100' roll of 404 and selling any saws that can't run it... lol.

What's your experience?

You could believe Julian aka @redbull660

i know this is a chain thread but that saw is a bad S O B ! what saw is it and who ported it . tell us about the saw and stuff. well i finally got to the part of video tree monkey 661! S O B tree monkey makes a fine saw better!
661, most likely ported by Scott aka treemonkey, aka @crabby cooter. He did a 461 for me and it rips.

Figure out how to use a file first.
Been using a file for years. Grinder in my other thread, not so much. I know little about using a grinder. Not saying I'm an expert with a file, but I can get a chain plenty sharp enough for what I think are good chips. This picture is my first test of my 038 with 3/8 semi chisel. Grinder then file with no guide. Rakers knocked way down. I'm no logger. Probably have less than 20 cords of wood under my belt in my 5 years of cutting as a hobby. I knew a guy who cut 20 cords a week. So what do I know. No reason to not read and learn. I plan on heating with wood until I can't carry a saw or wedges. May as well get good at it.

You can not compare Apple with Oranges if you are trying to bake an apple pie. 3/8'' works better for higher speed. 404 works better for slower speeds so how can the two be compared. I like setting up some of my saws to run a little slower using 3/8'' which works OK, 404 stays sharp longer hands down, but it takes much more of a power head to do it. Thanks

I run 404” saw chain on my 85 cc and up saws. The 404” tooth is long thus it lasts longer over 3/8” teeth. Semi chisel is less forgiving in 3/8” & 404” chain. Full chisel cuts a tad faster but one touch of dirt it dulls quicker over semi chisel.

.404 in hardwood hands down, always get it whenever it's possible. The cutter design is very robust and will hold edge better. I've cut through nails when bucking, 404 will dent a cutter and rest will be fine. Sometimes you won't even notice you cut through something, because 404 cuts slow and rough. 3/8 will get more than few cutters scraped bad if you cut nails and stuff. Always 404 in hardwood when there's enough power

Back