Off topic - mower problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm working on a pretty tired Craftsman 6.5HP mower and I can't get it to run smoothly unless I push down on the recoil cover while it's running. As soon as I do that, the engine smooths out and sounds good. Lift my hands and the engine revs immediately drop and engine runs rougher and slower until it ultimately dies. I've checked the head bolts - besides being on the front, running horizontally, they were tight. I can't see what would be affected by putting the equivalent of 20-30 pounds on top of the engine.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have.

PS - Carb is not issue (cleaned old one, tried new one, no change), spark plug (ditto), gas (drained, filled with fresh)

Sounds like your stopping a vibration affecting the govenor, for shitz see if the govenor Is loose coming out of the block

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put up a pic, so we know what you have.
Model numbers off of the engine too.
It's B&S 123K02 0479 E1
Pics:
P1000877a.jpg P1000878a.jpg P1000879a.jpg

Sounds like the governor spring or throttle linkage.
Have checked the governor and all springs/linkages appear correct.

Sounds like your stopping a vibration affecting the govenor, for shitz see if the govenor Is loose coming out of the block
I can find no issues with the governor. Manually working the throttle linkage while running has no effect on the problem.

Ok is this an auto choke engine?
Yes, it is auto choke. That appears to be working properly and manually diddling the choke linkage while running has no effect on the problem.

View attachment 762571 Some engines have an intake manifold that goes from one side to the other under the shroud
It has that sort of manifold. It appears to be sound (no cracks or pieces missing) and the screws bolting it down are tight.

These are all things I checked before posting and I'm happy to have confirmation that I wasn't wasting my time checking on them. Thanks and still searching.

Those intakes can crack right at the screws, just JB welded on the other day. Yes it lasts a loooog time.[emoji111]
I'll pull the intake off and check it out. It's possible there is a crack behind/underneath that's hidden. Thanks for the JB suggestion. I haven't needed that stuff in a while and have forgotten how versatile it is.

If you are pushing down and it smooths out, sounds like something has cracked and you are pushing it back in place sealing off the crack. I would definitely pull intake and inspect it. Been there and done that. Had a crack on bottom of intake pipe. JB welded the crack over and fixed the problem. Free pressure washer and the fellow that gave it to me was out of $600 for a new one. Never told the guy what I did to fix it, he thought the pump was causing the problem.

Steve Sidwell

Those intakes can crack right at the screws, just JB welded one the other day. Yes it lasts a loooog time.[emoji111]
If you are pushing down and it smooths out, sounds like something has cracked and you are pushing it back in place sealing off the crack. I would definitely pull intake and inspect it. Been there and done that. Had a crack on bottom of intake pipe. JB welded the crack over and fixed the problem. Free pressure washer and the fellow that gave it to me was out of $600 for a new one. Never told the guy what I did to fix it, he thought the pump was causing the problem.

Steve Sidwell
I did find a small crack that was only visible when I pulled the intake. The JB is setting up as I type. Will know by tomorrow if that fixes the problem.
Thanks, guys. Will let you know if the problem is gone and if not, what other avenues to pursue.

Craftsman products cause my blood pressure to go up, and foul language fills the air around me. Good luck with the issue!

Back