Broken cylinder fins

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madsaw

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
If 2 fins are broke on a cylinder how bad does affect the cooling of the saw? The 2 fins in question are the top 2 on the intake side on the flywheel side. Its just the corners broke off into the hole that goes through to access the cylinder bolts. Would this be much of concern or is this cylinder junk. This is a new cylinder.
Thanks for the info.
Bob

No big deal bob.

Ive cleaned out some of my older saws and found one side of the cyl fins Completely full of chips/oil/gunk and they ran remarkably good in this condition.

Didnt notice a huge difference after cleaning them either other than the saw was lighter.

Madsaw said:
If 2 fins are broke on a cylinder how bad does affect the cooling of the saw? The 2 fins in question are the top 2 on the intake side on the flywheel side. Its just the corners broke off into the hole that goes through to access the cylinder bolts. Would this be much of concern or is this cylinder junk. This is a new cylinder.
Thanks for the info.
Bob

With out a picture, it's hard to say, but it may not be the end of the jug.

Blend the fins as well as you can, run the saw just a little fatter then you usally do and if I'm wrong, you will know soon enought.

Look at how dirty some air-cooled are run , some gain a little power.
Kevin

I'd not worry too much about it.. I don't think there's too much magic in exactly how many fins you have or not. I've seem some broken cylinders that work just fine.

I would think that as long as its only 2 fins, and just a little bit of em broke off, that its no big deal. now, were it all the fins totally gone, like down to the jug, I'd be a bit concerned.

Madsaw said:
Thanks for the info.
Bob
Not a problem. Don't worry about it. Try to keep the fins clear of debris and relatively clean though.

Interesting one this...

I have just stripped a junker for parts and found that the cylinder, and piston, were okay, but that the top two fins were broken off on one side. I figure that these are above the cylinder's bore anyway (yes, I know heatsink) so haven't been concerned. Put them both on another saw and it runs! Haven't run it enough to see if they cause a problem yet, but I don't think it should be a cause for concern.

And another thing I did not add is the fact I will be using it on a firewood saw on the farm. So, about the only time you have any time to cut is in the fall and winter. At that point and time of the year you are looking at lower air temps to help keep it cooler any how. After this last winter with a boiler furnace I found out It likes less then a year dried wood any how. Feed it a spring dropped fresh cut wood in the winter is best compromise in it. Had some 2 yr old stuff. Yeap just like throwing in a hand full of paper. Believe it or not I have had great luck using spring cut Box Alder mixed with oak.
Here is a pic of the cylinder in question, it is a new set.
Thanks all
Bob

Last edited:
Bolt it on and run it. You'll never notice the small pieces of the fins that are missing when in use.

Reviving an old thread. I'm rebuilding an MS460 - cause of death: blunt trauma. The entire case is good - cylinder, piston, crank, bearings, seals. The only problem is some broken cooling fins on the clutch side.
20190930_175806.jpg 20190930_175602.jpg
The top fin is a little ragged, but almost intact. the bottom fin is intact. The four in between are broken off to some extent. I would really like to use this cylinder. I'm considering :
(1) Doing nothing
(2) Adding a piece of metal a little thinner than the fin to the surface of the broken fins with either high temp epoxy or solder.
At the temperature of the fins, would 50/50 solder hold? 60/40? Acid flux? Copper or aluminum flat stock? I don't have a TIG welder. The 2nd picture gives the impression that the fins are bent , but they are not.
Suggestions?

Thanks for the info.
Bob
If this was a 550xp first edition I’d say you are f*d lol
*lil bit of over exaggeration ;) *
Some saws run real hot with the stock setup, some do not. I can tell you that my 372 x torq doesn’t get hot at all it seems. Couple fins broken on that model would not be a big deal.

Run it. Keep it a bit fat.

You’ll be fine.

Cylinder fins could be repaired, but a different used oem jug is cheaper and easier.

Do you have the broken pieces? Epoxy won’t allow heat transfer, so nix that idea. High temp braze my work, but you’re working on the edge of the aluminum melting so there is a chance or total failure.

OK. I was thinking of brazing, but it's a stock saw and I'll just run it as is. I never let anything accumulate in the fins. I was probably trying to make me feel good about it rather than the saw.
If you had a buddy who did aluminum welding you could probably get it all fixed up for a case of beer. Any shop would change you more than the price of the saw.

Latest posts

Back