Toasted my clone ms660 on amsoil at 100:1

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4 0z to 2 and a half gallons of gas get 8 cans of gas to one quart of oil . No carbon build up not much smoke no oil running out the muffler . Amsoil was made for 200 to 1 . I put amsoil in my Harley fat bob the first thing I notice was it ran cooler on hot days .

I'm not sure what would possess someone to actually do that (run so little lube in an engine). ????

Coming from the times of 16 and 20:1 , 40:1 seems lightly enough lubed as it is. That's why I err to the 30:1 side...

There's always been that 80 or 100:1 oil around. An old, old one was "Optimal" (IIRC). Many engines have been ruined at those ratios.

Ruining at 100:1.

I'm not sure what would possess someone to actually do that (run so little lube in an engine). ????

Coming from the times of 16 and 20:1 , 40:1 seems lightly enough lubed as it is. That's why I err to the 30:1 side...

There's always been that 80 or 100:1 oil around. An old, old one was "Optimal" (IIRC). Many engines have been ruined at those ratios.

Ruining at 100:1.
EPA!

I was watching some videos on that oil. Some guys are running it in dirt bikes at 60 or 80 to 1.

But I've also read that Euro specs on 80cc and up saws calls for 33 to 1, even though 50 to 1 is suggested for the same saws in the U.S.

Seems logical to me that a bigger saw would need more oil.
The guys using it in dirt bikes at that ratio are morons.
There is no reason, nor any advantage to using a 100:1 ratio.

Well it's almost October and the guy with the diff hasn't had anymore problem running the GM lube instead in Amsoil.

Steve Sidwell
175k on my f350 and I hauled a 5000 lb camper with it all summer with no issues with Amsoil 75w140 in the rear axle.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

Don't know what the deal was on his but it had a AAM diff in it and I've been no fan of those. Cheap made in my opinion. Too much Chinese and Mexico parts in them. Lube was foaming up and was having bearing failures.

Steve Sidwell

Don't know what the deal was on his but it had a AAM diff in it and I've been no fan of those. Cheap made in my opinion. Too much Chinese and Mexico parts in them. Lube was foaming up and was having bearing failures.

Steve Sidwell
My last 2 trucks were GM with AAM axles and I never had any issues with Amsoil gear lube in those either.
I think there is more to this than meets the eye. Possible additive used, over filling or aftermarket cover that raised the fill level to high or caused excess paddling.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

Amsoil make some fantastic lubricants, some of the very best. It's only their marketing that is bad.
That's why I have such a hard supporting AO because the people that work there act like such Richard Head's about their products.

Was wondering if you still prefer R50 or something else?

Amsoil make some fantastic lubricants, some of the very best. It's only their marketing that is bad.
In the first places Amsoil doesnt refine oil. They buy base oils from X company and additives from another and blend them.
In the second place the big boys like Chevron, Shell, and Mobil will not sell there best base oils and additives to Amsoil.
In other words Amsoil isnt among the best by a long shot.

Then on a whim I bought a bottle of amsoil and ran a tank at 80:1, seemed fine, thin oil. I wanted to believe in the magic of 100:1, I can't explain why I feel silly in retrospect. So I mix up a gallon at 100:1. Still not really working the saw too hard. Except for slabbing of the side of a 12" birch. Ran it wide open for several minutes. And then I was messing with the high idle and like and idiot using my cellphone to try and tune the sucker. I usually tune by ear but I had both ear plugs and music earmuffs going. (muffler ported) I knew the phone was giving bad readings and I increased the high idle speed too much. Kapow, she sized hard, metal shavings coming out the exhaust etc.

Maybe someone else asked but how exactly were you using your cellphone to try and tune? Just curious....

Back