Homelite Super XL. Worth it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd try to get it at a little lower price, they're good ol saws. I just got one off ebay that was supposedly a non runner, it ran excellent and had a fresh carburetor rebuild with new stihl chain from a dealer.

I'd try to get it at a little lower price, they're good ol saws. I just got one off ebay that was supposedly a non runner, it ran excellent and had a fresh carburetor rebuild with new stihl chain from a dealer.
I talked her down to 75, I'm comfortable with the price as long as it's a good runner.

On the Super XL`s the electronic module/coil is a prone failure point, replacements though are now easy to find AM but still a bit pricey. I have had truckloads of them here, my late FIL cut with them commercially for 30 years or so.
It’s only the blue Wico/Prestolite modules that are known to be bad, the Black Phelon ones are super reliable.

I have one of the super XL old blue models. I haven’t ran it much as it continues to boil the fuel In the tank no matter what I have done. It runs good for 10 mins or so then starts acting up. I haven’t played with it lately but when I need to get work done it is not the saw I choose.

Not knocking the saw. I’m sure there not all like mine.
MOst likely air passage between crankcase and tank is plugged, you have to remove flywheel to clean see video starting at 2:45

I have to admit I did not remove the flywheel as i don't have a puller. I cleaned under it best I could but yeah its probably clogged. I need to find me a puller and get that flywheel off.

Well folks, I drove almost 75 miles to pick up the saw (I honestly didnt mind the drive). I had asked that they not "pre-start" the saw so I could see how she fires when cold. After doing the standard starting routine and yanking on that SOB for about 10 straight minutes I left without a saw. I was a little bitter about the fuel I wasted driving there but thats the gamble we take when buying on CL :(. For the heck of it I picked up a Jonsered 2238 with a 3 year warranty for under $100 from a big box store. I realize that it is a homeowner wimpy saw, but for the $79 for the saw and with the $8 I paid for the additional 3 years of warranty, who cares. Should be just fine considering I am well aware of what I'm getting.

With that being said I just got the cheapo saw delivered today, not a bad little runner. But I realized I was almost out of bar oil so I ran to the local hardware store and they had a Jonsered 2255 for $250.... With this being nothing more than a Husky 455 ($430 saw) wearing red clothes, I kinda have to buy it right? I dont need it at all, and I realize that the 455 is just a larger cc homeowner saw, but with as much as I will cut with it I would imagine a good tune and this would last me many years...

Did you try dribbling a little gas in the carb of that Homie? Sometimes that is all it takes.

The 22338 is not a long term saw but for 87 bucks still a great deal. 2255 is a fantastic saw especially at that price. With a muffler mod (and a timing advance if you feel like it) that will be a great running saw!

Did you try dribbling a little gas in the carb of that Homie? Sometimes that is all it takes.

The 22338 is not a long term saw but for 87 bucks still a great deal. 2255 is a fantastic saw. With a muffler mod (and a timing advance if you feel like it) that will be a great running saw!
At $250 I'm having a hard time saying no....

So your dealer is selling new old stock Johnnys for roughly 40 percent off?
To answer your first question, no I didn't tickle the homie. I was pretty put off by the fact that it was advertised as a good runner, only to find neither I nor the owner could get it running using solid starting techniques.

And as for the 2255, it's at a local Bi-Mart. They don't service but still the price is right. It doesn't even have a "sale" sticker. I'm thinking either mislabeled (though I did check the barcode and matched it with the item) or maybe it's just because they don't sell many saws and want to move it? Not sure but yes it's new and they have 2 on the shelf. Might pick them both up and flip one. Could give someone a heck of a deal and still put $50 in my pocket.

To answer your first question, no I didn't tickle the homie. I was pretty put off by the fact that it was advertised as a good runner, only to find neither I nor the owner could get it running using solid starting techniques.

And as for the 2255, it's at a local Bi-Mart. They don't service but still the price is right. It doesn't even have a "sale" sticker. I'm thinking either mislabeled (though I did check the barcode and matched it with the item) or maybe it's just because they don't sell many saws and want to move it? Not sure but yes it's new and they have 2 on the shelf. Might pick them both up and flip one. Could give someone a heck of a deal and still put $50 in my pocket.
They still have 2255's here and they are still full price. If you want to lay the capital out you may as well make some $....assuming they come with original boxes.

Not that this is an interesting thread but, picked up a 2255 for $250 today. Brand new in box. Fired right up and ran really good after a tune. Should be a good saw at a great price :rock:

Just had to comment.... The store only has the display model 2255 left. I had to ask, they said 10% off which makes it only $225. If I can get them down to 20% off I won't be able to say no :rare2:

I love my SXL and the only complaint is vibration in hands/arms if you run more than a tankful of fuel in an outing. I put nearly 2 gallons through mine in the past week and can feel it LOL.

As Jerry mentioned, the mid production SXL's with the blue module (coil) are very prone to failure. The older points ignition saws and the newer electronic ignition saws are nearly bulletproof. They made a zillion of these saws though so if you did have a blue module saw that failed you could either buy the replacement coil (about 55 bucks) or find a parts saw with either the early or late model ignition to swap out.

BTW that manual they are offering is for a different model of Homelite saw but I am sure that does not matter in the big picture.

Enjoy the saw and post up if you have any issues, someone will be able to help you!
Yeah I pretty much agree with the parts saw thing. I’ve been working on an xl-12 and it literally said hey, you got me running after rebuilding me for a week. Ima seize on u ha. I mean it’s unseized now I just don’t wanna deal with it anymore. So surprise it became a parts dummy. I literally put parts from my xl-12 “mainly just the badges” on to my super xl. Made it look pretty. Pull cord says xl12 and the bar cover says xl-12 but I know it’s a super xl

Back