So I was thinking today...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
David Allen Coe-If that ain’t Country:

“There were thirteen kids and a bunch of dogs
A house full of chickens and a yard full of hogs
I spent the summertime cutting' up logs for the winter
Trying' like the devil to find the Lord
Working' like a mule for my room and board
Coal-burin' stove, no natural gas
If that ain't country, I'll kiss your butt...”

We started using Poulan 25's later in their production for our primary climbing saws. Out of nostalgia, I'd been looking for one for several years.people either thought they were made of gold, or complete basket cases. Finally found one badged as a Sears. I'd say they will run with anything in their class made today.

You mean, like one of these?
258KypV.jpg

nEvRvBv.jpg

Just got it cleaned up, didn't start will do some carb work soon. Probably will fire up with some coaxing and fresh gas, but I'll give it a good one over for good measure ;)

Maybe because I'm still young-ish, I don't mind the hard work, even so much as to do the old fashioned way with an axe. I like my power saws and other per tools, but my timber and firewood gettin' rig is still fairly manual, and I'll keep it that way!

They didn't have any money back then. A dollar was a days pay. As impressive as a chainsaw would be to them, there not gonna give 2 years pay for it. Besides some back woods preacher would have you burned at the stake for dancing with the devil. lol
There were still town and city folk who had the money to pay. As far as the back woods preacher...yeah you probably got me there! Haha

Most farmers in my child hood days had times to do every thing. Many are wrong by todays standards. Today Hay is cut in mid June, we cut ours around mid July so the seeds would reseed the field during raking.

We didn't lay around in the winter whineing there was nothing to do or whineing it was to cold to be out side.
Put the tire chains on the pick up and drive into the woods and fall trees and limb them, Carry a bit of Kerosine and make a brush pile fire so we could change out our wet gloves and dry them.
We didn't have a snow plow for our tractor, they mostly sat from the first freezing in Nov to the non freezeing in April. Daddy would pour alcohol in the radiator to finish up the buzzing. started useing antifreeze about 1960.

When the snow got to deep for the pick up we drove to the woods and used a toboggan to manualy haul our axes and cross cut back along with the kerosine.
Today I shake my head over what they call cross country skis, skinny things.

Same in the summer once the crops were in the ground before haying time we were in the woods building our buzz saw piles once haying was finished before the grain harvest we were again in the woods building that buzz saw pile.
Wasn't any whineing I remember about it being to hot to do any work or there was nothing to do.
Sure was a treat in the summer after working in the woods all day to make a right turn and end at the lake for a after dark swim.
Most times how ever you had to be content to take a dip in the cattle tank. The bath tub was a round galvinzed affair you used in the winter by the pot belly stove in the laundary pantry room.

:D Al

Mine came just as in the pic, starts and runs great. It's a Screamin Demon. Only thing is, one of the bolts that hold the muffler on is stripped, and it keeps coming loose.

Nice looking saw you got there, definitely older than mine and looks different, though similar. If that's a 25 then mine is definitely based on the XXV Micro. I want to say that this one is smaller displacement than the XXV, which is 38cc and I think that what I have, a Craftsman badged one is 32 cc, but not certain.

Our old Poulans with the XXV logo looked just like the one above. I don't remember having any with the 25 logo, but the pics I've seen, they looked the same. We used them into the mid 80's. I'm gonna go check Acres to see what they looked like.

I typed a big reply and forgot to hit post. As I remember all of ours had XXV on them. Don't remember ever seeing one with 25 on it. So, I just looked at Acres and the S25CVA looks like the ones we had. It's called a 25, but the logo on the side of the saw says "SuperXXV", and I seem to remember the counter vibe logo. We did have a bunch with the banana, anti kick back bar, that could not be flipped over. If I find a real Poulan one, I want the banana bar.

Just for clarification, I understand that XXV and 25 are the same. But they do list the Roman numeral verse the 25 as different models.

My brothers Allis 75 chain saw looks like this one.
Allis-Chalmers-Chainsaw-Model-75-Rare-Original-1970%E2%80%99s.jpg

Has one screw for the muffler which also kept coming loose. A small engine repair friend installed a stud with some good lock tite and used a drilled nut with a small cotter key and it never came loose again.

Also had a problem with the bar nut cominh loose drilled that to and use a cotter key to keep it tight.

Nice Little saw, loved to use it for cutting camp fire wood. Fit inside the Propane tanks storage area of the camper.

:D Al

Back