Dead Tree Fell, now hung up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sr73087

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
About a week ago I had a dead tree go down. The base is on the ground, but the top is leaning against what I believe is a tall hemlock. Technically this is on my neighbor's property, but its going to fall across my driveway and if some of the wood looks ok, I can use the firewood. Is there anyway safe way to take this down from the ground? I was thinking maybe pulling it out would be safest option.

IMG_7562.JPG IMG_7573.JPG IMG_7574.JPG IMG_7575.JPG

About a week ago I had a dead tree go down. The base is on the ground, but the top is leaning against what I believe is a tall hemlock. Technically this is on my neighbor's property, but its going to fall across my driveway and if some of the wood looks ok, I can use the firewood. Is there anyway safe way to take this down from the ground? I was thinking maybe pulling it out would be safest option.

View attachment 763136 View attachment 763137 View attachment 763138 View attachment 763139

If the butt is loose pulling is probably safest if you have the horsepower to move it. I also cut a notch in the top and undercut the bottom and walk them down but one has to be really careful!!!! Cut a big thorn for a neighbor last year in 7 pcs and had to winch every cut to get it out of adjoining tree

View attachment 763136 View attachment 763137 View attachment 763138 View attachment 763139
I think this is what they call a "widowmaker."

Always my 1st option...but sounds like it may fall across a driveway? If that is the only way out, don't want to have to find the chaps on the way to an important morning meeting!

Let it fall on it's own and then cut it up!

Agreed, but like ATH said it will end up happening at the most inconvenient time. It happened before, maybe 2 years back I had another tree in that same general area get hung up and eventually come down on a windy night.

Looks like a dead EAB killed ash?

The dead top is really dangerous. If you try to make cuts along the bottom the top could snap and there is no control of where those pieces would go.

You might be able to pull it sideways (part way up) toward the driveway to free it from the hemlock, depending on how it's hung up.

Pulling the stump end can be a PITA as the end tends to dig into the ground. Could do a partial cut and yank the stump end there.

Either way a long rope needed so you are well away from the hanger, and a truck/tractor or a winch/come along to pull with.

Might want to see what someone would charge you to just put it on the ground. Not worth getting killed.

My idiot helper could pull that down safely. Cut the base from the stump. Put three of four come a longs towards the nearest some what straight in line tree and put tension on them. Put some rounds underneath the tree. Stick a bottle jack under the bottom and crank. The tree will keep moving slowly away from where it is hung up until laying down. No dare devil steps needed. Thanks

Attachments

• KIMG0069 (1).jpg
    KIMG0069 (1).jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 37
  • KIMG0072.jpg
    KIMG0072.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 35
  • KIMG0073 (1).jpg
    KIMG0073 (1).jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 33
My idiot helper could pull that down safely. Cut the base from the stump. Put three of four come a longs towards the nearest some what straight in line tree and put tension on them. Put some rounds underneath the tree. Stick a bottle jack under the bottom and crank. The tree will keep moving slowly away from where it is hung up until laying down. No dare devil steps needed. Thanks
You shouldn't call your horse an idiot. :rolleyes:

Technically this is on my neighbor's property, but its going to fall across my driveway and if some of the wood looks ok, I can use the firewood. Is there anyway safe way to take this down from the ground?
Depending on your local laws, it may be your neighbor's responsibility to take care of this. The hazard is undeniable. If it falls onto your property causing injury or damage it is likely your neighbor would be deemed negligent for ignoring the obvious danger. If it falls onto your property without causing injury or damage beyond the inconvenience of being an obstruction across your driveway, then the burden of clean up might be on you. But a responsible neighbor should remove the known hazard rather than to take the risk that when it inevitably does come down there will be no person, no vehicle, no other objects of value in the crash zone.

Since you indicate that you could use the firewood, you might contact the neighbor and offer to split the cost to have professionals bring it down, and in return for your contribution you get the firewood.

Here are links to some web pages that address the issue: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=negligence+tree+falling+on+neighboring+property&t=ffsb&ia=web

should have sent your idiot helper my way last spring, 28" thorn and everytime I cut it loose the butt buried 18" deep in the ground. D7 Cat might have drug it except I had no room to get anything with wheels or tracks in there.

I don't really have anything to add, since the prior replies cover all of the important issues. But I have a hard time getting a good feel for just how big a tree is that?

Its roughly maybe 60 feet but gets pretty small toward the top. As far as diameter, at the base I can probably just get my arms around it.

Cripple it on the stump then find something larger or heavier to send right down the hung tree, the big deal here is to make dang sure if you use a Swanson or conventional face it have a step on the back or a Humboldt face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it down yet? I don't like giving homeowners advice on things that may be dangerous. It means I am assuming your equipment is as good as mine, and you know how to use it as good as me. This could be easy. I'd take a 150', 17000 pound bull LINE and tie it a couple feet above the ground. Like Ted, I'd put several large limbs or rounds under the log to help it roll, and keep it off the ground when it comes down. Find the largest healthy tree in as straight line with the direction of pull. Put a lanyard around the base, and hook a snatch block to it, and redirect the rope out to the drive way. Some times it takes several redirects to get the rope to truck or tractor. Put the truck in 4 wheel low and slowly pull it out. I know my truck would pull it out even if the stump digs in. My Massey 135 , or JD 2010 would pull it out if it doesn't dig in too bad. They are both in the 3-4000 pound range. If it digs in both tractors would probably spin. Lighter equipment may work, but I would not try it. Good luck, and look up, that's where the danger comes from.

Back