Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A flyer came in the mail today from a local Stihl dealer. My wife said "Ooh honey, did you see this? Look at all these chainsaws!"
It was pretty much all homeowner saws but at least she recognizes my affliction if not understands it. Lol.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Well fellas the sheet hit the fan tonight when I got home. I knew it wasn't good when I drove in behind the house and the lights were on in the barn. I drove back into the field and hand bombed off another load of cedar from Tobermory. I figured the wife was in there and up to no good. I tried to sneak past the barn but she spied me and yelled over that she required my presence in the barn. She decided to clean the area of the barn where I store my saws. She found 16 saws. She says I have a problem. We had a short discussion about the various saws and why I needed so many that to her looked exactly the same. I may have told a fib or two explaining the small differences between some of the saws. I then pointed out that she has multiples of tools for her grass cutting business too. 3 blowers, 4 ztr's, 20 trailers, 4 hedge trimmers etc. She then reminded me that I bought all that stuff too. I figured I better cut it short and head to the house before she did anymore "cleaning". There are 3 saws in my truck, 3 more waiting sitting on a top shelf in the shop waiting for parts, 2 sitting under the old furnace in the shop and a buddy has one or two that he borrowed awhile ago. I'm thinking that I need to build a little cabin in the bush behind my place to store some of my "extra" saws before she gets back to cleaning up the barn. I should likely make it big enough for a bed too. I just wrote up a $400 order for saw stuff from Lazer, maybe I'll just wait abit before I send it in.
I'm getting a heck of a chip pile at the job site in Tobermory. This is the biggest pile there is 3 other ones about 1/4 this size. Them Stihls are dropping the trees like crazy, maybe only a dozen left to come down but about 30 on the ground to clean up yet. A pic of some of the big poplar logs there are a few oaks in there too but not real big. They got the rest of the footings poured today and the wall forms dropped off. 20191003_145854.jpg 20191002_142523.jpg

Attachments

• 20191003_150035.jpg
    20191003_150035.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 16
Well fellas the sheet hit the fan tonight when I got home. I knew it wasn't good when I drove in behind the house and the lights were on in the barn. I drove back into the field and hand bombed off another load of cedar from Tobermory. I figured the wife was in there and up to no good. I tried to sneak past the barn but she spied me and yelled over that she required my presence in the barn. She decided to clean the area of the barn where I store my saws. She found 16 saws. She says I have a problem. We had a short discussion about the various saws and why I needed so many that to her looked exactly the same. I may have told a fib or two explaining the small differences between some of the saws. I then pointed out that she has multiples of tools for her grass cutting business too. 3 blowers, 4 ztr's, 20 trailers, 4 hedge trimmers etc. She then reminded me that I bought all that stuff too. I figured I better cut it short and head to the house before she did anymore "cleaning". There are 3 saws in my truck, 3 more waiting sitting on a top shelf in the shop waiting for parts, 2 sitting under the old furnace in the shop and a buddy has one or two that he borrowed awhile ago. I'm thinking that I need to build a little cabin in the bush behind my place to store some of my "extra" saws before she gets back to cleaning up the barn. I should likely make it big enough for a bed too. I just wrote up a $400 order for saw stuff from Lazer, maybe I'll just wait abit before I send it in.
I'm getting a heck of a chip pile at the job site in Tobermory. This is the biggest pile there is 3 other ones about 1/4 this size. Them Stihls are dropping the trees like crazy, maybe only a dozen left to come down but about 30 on the ground to clean up yet. A pic of some of the big poplar logs there are a few oaks in there too but not real big. They got the rest of the footings poured today and the wall forms dropped off. View attachment 763408 View attachment 763409
That lot clearing is a pile of work. Is this for a friend or are you doing a side business? A heck of a commute!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Cant help ya,

Im in a similar boat just just haven’t got caught yet. But now that i have a blue saw i have to be super carful.

It i easier to ask for forgiveness than permission [emoji2373]

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Jeff, it's a customer that we are building a house for. We sometimes do the tree removal for customers. Usually I drop the trees then just hire in an excavator and get it done but this one was so many trees and the trash pile would have been huge so I've been kind of working on it when I have time. And of course the job always ends up being more than you expect. Job was quoted to remove all trees that could fall on the new house so basically 80 trees over 20" diameter and maybe 200 that were smaller than 20". Poplars were almost 100' tall, we're chipping everything under 7" just to get rid of it. Have a huge pile of stumps back in the bush already too. I'm hauling the cedar home each trip and trying to talk my nephew into taking everything else for his mother in law who lives about 6 miles from the site and burns wood. We're doing another one right in Tobermory but the customers looked after the tree removal. The excavator operator knocked the cedars down and cut it into chunks to fit in the dump truck to haul to the local dump. 20 to 28" cedar. Damn shame.

Ok, I’m a dummy when it comes to this. I think I’ve seen these before, not sure. At the Paul Bunyan Festival I want to buy a good rope and do they make a type of winch for rope that works similar to a ratchet strap but spits out the rope like a capstan winch? I looked into a capstan winch but since I ain’t making my living at this I can’t justify the price for a capstan winch. Thanks.

Ok, I’m a dummy when it comes to this. I think I’ve seen these before, not sure. At the Paul Bunyan Festival I want to buy a good rope and do they make a type of winch for rope that works similar to a ratchet strap but spits out the rope like a capstan winch? I looked into a capstan winch but since I ain’t making my living at this I can’t justify the price for a capstan winch. Thanks.
Look at the Maasdam rope puller

I love those rope pullers, but I got mine through Baileys, may have cost more with the rope but they gave me the tensile strength ratings. Make sure the rope is up to snuff, after that they work great!

You can just pull rope through it to get it tight fast, and you will learn the correct amount of tension, too much and the rope will not hold, but you can get it very tight.

What is nice is that rope has some stretch to it, so even when you are working alone you can make it tight and it will pull nicely!

I use mine all the time, on very large trees I will use two.

I purchased a pair of tow straps with hooks to connect to the trees on each end. Works well.

I love those rope pullers, but I got mine through Baileys, may have cost more with the rope but they gave me the tensile strength ratings. Make sure the rope is up to snuff, after that they work great!

You can just pull rope through it to get it tight fast, and you will learn the correct amount of tension, too much and the rope will not hold, but you can get it very tight.

What is nice is that rope has some stretch to it, so even when you are working alone you can make it tight and it will pull nicely!

I use mine all the time, on very large trees I will use two.

I purchased a pair of tow straps with hooks to connect to the trees on each end. Works well.
I know you can’t really judge by reading but does that one I linked seem suitable?

I know you can’t really judge by reading but does that one I linked seem suitable?
Looks like the same one I posted, except that it comes with some type of anchor sling. Like @MustangMike , I use a couple of heavy, web, tow straps from Menards as anchors and STEEL caribiners for rigging (not the aluminum climbing ones).

Philbert

Back