Unrealistic and misleading Chainsaw reviews.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you and likewise wow(tesla)!

For sure let's get back to the shredding of wood fibres, the one electric chainsaw that really caught my eye lately was the greenworks 80v, it seems
To be of a decent enough size, and with the option between the 2.0a and 4.0a it's doesn't seem like it would be that big of a slouch for the average home owner, as one of the reviews I read said if you have two 4.0a batteries, one on charge, you can cut all day long, and even the option of a factory 18" bar. But again, i wouldn't spend a cent on it
Unless I had the ability to give it a good work out and see if it would actually stand up to what it says it can

https://www.greenworkstools.ca/en/product/45405/80v-18-brushless-chainsaw

It may be good, it may be total garbage, but it's for sure a step forward at the very least, and if a company is investing money into something, than they must be confident in what they have designed and produced for the piblic, stihl does have a battery operated model as well, but I haven't read up
On it yet, it's kinda feeling I have a bit of reading to do when I get the chance

You may refere to me by Tesla anytime. He was way ahead of his time. I'm going to buy a low priced Electric saw when technology builds one that doesn't over heat (I've burned bearings up and melted plastic housings) and can buck up a big tree without a battery going flat. That saw will sell for no more than 200 bucks. Until then, these Electric Chainsaws in my tool shed will do me. Wallyworld was selling an 8 amp Worx for about 50 bucks. Item WG305 ?. The specs talks about an OIL PUMP as IF this saw actually has one. The oil pump is a rubber primer bulb you push by hand.
Worx makes a pole saw that looks very much like this BUT the pole saw actually DOES pump oil. But that's a different saw. Most people wouldn't catch on. The cheap saw oiler is only a push bulb oiler. Words in the specs said, oiler provides luberation from the oil reservoir with oil-indicator which makes it easy to operate. Sounds easy right, sounds like Auto oiler to most folks. No mention of aa Manue oil pump that you must constantly be pushing on. It sounds like it's easy. Fill that reservoir and start working. To me thats Misleading!!!!. Even a twisted truth is a straight out lie.
I very much wish to protect and enlighten people so they can make wise decisions. Some people may actually like a manual oiler but they should know what they are buying and it should be made clear. I have seen little Mrs. Honesty selling her honor more and more in my lifetime. If we were all kind, honest, and had a character strong enough to own our own words and deeds what a wonderful place this big blue Marble would be. Have a great night.

Well, I had a chance to read some of the reviews on that 80v saw, kinda embarrassed I said anything about it lol! Seems garbage, and the batteries are not durable, and all the manufacturer seems to say is a pretty pre-programmed response, not "oh shoot, send it to us and we will get to the bottom of it!" So right away, with what people have been complaining about, and it seems to be a pretty consistent thing happening, either the battery Calfs, or the motors sensors either get clogged and fail, or the motor fails. Sooooo STAY AWAY EH! I can't be totally negative though, some people had some decent things to say, but even with what they have said, battery life seems to extremely questionable, and probably in the hands of someone savy,
Would wear out in a matter of cuts with any real tension put on the blade, same with car manufacturers, you CAN get great mileage, if you feather the throttle if you barely Coax the vehicle to move
Forward at a green light, and drive like a liberal in the fast lane at all times (WESTFALIA OWNERS IM TALKING TO YOU!!!! Hours of operation for westfailias should be be between 3am and 4am weekdays only). Soooo, yah, my two bits in a shell, but no real experience with it, so what can I really
Know. There has been more than a few times someone has told me something "sucks" without any real explanation, to try it for myself and really like what they were ney saying. I do hope a real battery manufacturer steps up and collaborates with a quality manufacturer and work together to creat something actually awesome, like if husky or stihl worked with tesla on a high amperage application that does have acceptional power and battery life for field use.

Now.... to the ugly truth, and wow, i am with you, again, with what your saying, I think companies have grown so big, that they feel they are immune to actually saying what their product is actually all about, and waaaay too
Often, cherry picking of strong points and twisting of the truth and skewing the words said to make a circle take up 100% of the surface are of a square and still fit inside the parameters they have laid out for their product. This is wrong, and I do believe that companies should be held accountable.

Ps, good marnin everybody! Happy Monday as happy as that could ever be!

Oh what a day to be alive.... I'll
Pull out a saw and cut at least one down

Attachments

• IMG_3516.JPG
    IMG_3516.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3517.JPG
    IMG_3517.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 8
Well, I went by one of the local saw shops in Nanaimo, to ask about a price on a 60cc pro saw, and I noticed a husqvarna electric saw, and it did seem to be pretty quality, real bar and chain on it, and felt nice to hold and move around with, certainly nicer than my 12 amp, but still chorded, it definitely had me intrigued, would be interested to see how well it would work, probably do just fine for around the house, even if it was cutting up chords of wood, or even
Taking smaller trees down if you have a long enough extension, and the know how to do so.

I have a Jonsered (identical) that I bought used. Similar to my Makita with the 'in-line' design. Again, when I saw Home Depot renting some of these saws, I realized that they were not the same as the ones they sell in their aisles (they do sell the Makita gas and electric saws through their PRO desks). I have not tried the STIHL electrics, but they look pretty substantial too.

I have cleaned up a lot of storm damage (electricity gets restored pretty quickly around here), and cut up a lot of wood delivered by sellers, local tree work, etc. I have a 100', 12 gauge extension cord that I use with mine (and other electric tools when I was working my house).

Philbert

I have seen the stihl battery operated chainsaw, it seems to be..... plastic, to say the least, it felt light, and easy to
Use, and for a climber, no pull start, and branches not being overly large in diameter, might be appealing to
Some, just squeeze and go, would for sure make things less awkward, and that's the first thing that came to mind when I held it, was awkward places, and positions, or less than roomy circumstances would probably involve a lot less cursing to just remove the need to either have it started, or start your saw to make things easy. But there is also some other tiny tiny saw options out there that I am recalling now, one of these looked to be a battery drill, with like a 6-8" bar on it, and just being able to pull it out of a belt, and it's extremely compact size, would be very very appealing to me if just a simple trimming job was needed to be done and there was nothing over 4-5" branches in need of being cut, liiiike right off my deck, to trim back overgrowth, or even for
Packing around the woods for a day of trail building, without the need of a saw, even though my bikes are 2 strokes and I'd have allllll the premium high octane premix fuel that's in the tank to just yank the fuel line and fill up a saw with, (and yes, I do run 100+ octane in my saw) but just to have that ability with a a couple battery packs to
Go trimming pesky branches on the trail, with ease, and without swinging an axe or a hatchet to accomplish, would surely help out huge, I'll look for that hand held jobby and get a picture of it up. I'll be off to Muncie Indiana this week for work, sooooo, if anyone is around that area, and would like to meetup for dinner a couple beer, and to meet a friendly Canadian who just wants to hang out, let me know! Would be nice to meet some new people, and have some good conversations, itle be my father and I traveling, and he loves to talk once he gets a few beer in him hahahahahahaha

Thanks for everybody's time in posting, it's been lots of fun and more to come!

So cool. Every day that I wake up feeling none or not much pain is a good day. I'm planning on playing with the cs590 today. Maybe the Sthil 029 flush cut a few stumps. Have a great day.

Ps, when I asked the owner of my local saw shop, what 60cc saw he recommends, he walked right past the huskies, right past stihl, and put a cs620wp in my hands, said he could bring me in a husky, but for as many echo 60cc's he has sold, he has had the least amount of things go wrong for the number of them he sold, and he has sold many of them, and wouldn't even recommend a ms362, looks like my 660 is gonna paired with an echo soon.

Okay boyo's check this out! It's Bosch made, and I have a few of their impacts, and they are awesome, but this would be super neat to try out!

Attachments

• IMG_3548.JPG
    IMG_3548.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 2
The smaller saws definitely are attractive for trail maintenance, and the battery saws offer a low noise advantage. Don't overlook a folding hand saw for some stuff like branches; the nice Japanese style teeth cut right through most live stuff with ease. And a good pair of compound, anvil type loppers go through most wood up to 2".

I have also cut wood up to 8" diameter with a cordless reciprocating saw (Sawzall), which is also nice for roots, due to the replaceable blades.

Philbert

Last time I saw those they were not available in the US. Looked like for model making, but who knows how they would work?

Philbert
Probably a lot less tiring that going manual, but I agree with you, a good folding woods saw is a hard combo to beat, and it works the pipes hahahahahaha, love the input, and being what they are, and their size being compact, may be those little teeth won't cuz overly quick, but just given the dexterity and control you would have, could make awkward places a lot easier to manipulate, and you are absolutely right, recip saws do mow, and the noise factor, being we do cut trails on crown, and timber property, being silent is absolutely needed........ for good reason hahahahahaha

And just to toss it out there, you guys have been incredibly accepting, most forums you get jumped all over to stating your opinions, and this site just isn't the case, everybody has been extremely nice and that's a breath of fresh air! So I give you my sincere thanks and gratitude for being awesome!

THANK YOU!

And just to toss it out there, you guys have been incredibly accepting, most forums you get jumped all over to stating your opinions, and this site just isn't the case, everybody has been extremely nice and that's a breath of fresh air! So I give you my sincere thanks and gratitude for being awesome!

THANK YOU!
Yes, you are correct. The guys here are all cool. As an old coot with a sack full of huge Grandsons I kinda get a feel for the ages of posters. Lots of young guys and very respectful. My big ole 6'4" Grandson always saying yes sir papaw. Those young men are so funny. Then there are some really smart fellers (pun intended) here too of all ages. My brother talked me into buying a reciepicating battery saw for the ATV. I seldom use it. That cs352 just does so good. Have a great day

My 2 cents , the electrics are the future ! Lawnmowers , trimmers , chainsaws and now even snowblower,s . Sign of the times perhaps , especially with the **** ethanol fuel were getting forced down our throats . I agree electric saws still have a long way to go until they can seriously be compared to any prograde saw . However , for many residential small cut applications they are a valid alternative . Also hell yes do not believe all the manufacturer or dealer sales hype , try the unit prior to buying . P.S. To 2 stroke smoke , nothing like the smell of Klotz- R in the morning to make you feel alive ! lol. :) .

Broken, not much in this world excites my brain like the pop of a finely tuned 2 stroke, even a leaf blower turns my head, sends my brain into a cascade, and just makes my heart skip a beat, big v8's are sweet, turbos are awsome, but nothing, absolutely nothing, has more perk than pre mix being burned every time a piston see's TDC, and that 2 stroke sound, idle, mid rpm, or wide open, it's just audio bliss. But, to say the least, electric power is coming, wether we like it or not, let's just hope
DFI 2 strokes become the norm over 4 strokes, due to the fact that DFI 2 strokes have dominated every market they have entered over their 4 stroke comparison.

2-stroke , yep definitely with you with that theme . Back in the 70,s i raced snowmobiles semi professionally for over 15 yrs . Castor oils were the key to engine survival back then , especially with the limited oil technology of that era and multi cylinder air cooled engines . My specialty was engine tuning and the sound of venerable 2 stroke confirmed by plug analysis along with carburation tuning were key to engine performance and durability . Later within the late 80,s to early 90,s liquid cooling allowed even further engine performance gains via tighter tolerances and higher compression and higher rpm ranges . In this realm , engine mortality demanded oil technology improvements , out went castor oils requiring routine engine decarbonizing in came Premium Grade Synethetic oils . I currently utilize Amsoil Sabre premix grade oil in all 2 stroke applications . Although designed to be mixed primarily within 50:1 to 100:1 ratio,s I find 50:1 to be ideal for maximum oil protection for the engine while significantly reducing any carbon fouling issues . I too love the smell and sound of a well maintained 2-stroke doing it's thing ! P.S. Where in the Great White North do you reside . I,am up in Northern Ontario just North of Superior .

Back