• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Muffler Modding

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone does basic muffler modding? I have a number of homeowner grade saws that I would like internal baffles and/or cats removed. Open up the muffler, remove innards, and close them up. If you’ve got the ability to braze in an exit pipe that’s even better. Otherwise I can add gills when I get them back.

****To be clear, I’m not looking for a referral to one of our member saw builders who charges $50 plus to do this. That’s totally worth it IMO for pro saws but not for the saws I’m working on.

It would be 10 to 15 bucks to ship muffler back alone. Plus about 10 bucks for a stick of brazing rod plus the cost of the oxygen and acetelyne also about 6 to 10 bucks for a deflector to buy to braze on the muffler. Some mufflers take upwards of 4 hours to uncrimp and cut the baffles out crimp back together lay out the extra deflector open up factory Hole larger drill hole for the extra deflector with a 40 dollar uni bit and braze the additional deflector on then paint the muffler with a can of high heat muffler paint that cost around 10 to 12 more bucks. That's why it's 50 bucks to do a muffler.

Fwiw

I often leave the baffles in and braze in a pipe that bypasses. Gutting it is a real pain on some saws

Not sure if it helps, but I got a guy that TIGs the 5105 and 5100s Dolmar mufflers back together for me for $20. Totally worth it! Probably not so worth it to ship though...

Not sure if it helps, but I got a guy that TIGs the 5105 and 5100s Dolmar mufflers back together for me for $20. Totally worth it! Probably not so worth it to ship though...
That would definitely be worth it. I have a corporate UPS account so shipping is cheap.

Do you do the gutting then he puts them back together?

That would definitely be worth it. I have a corporate UPS account so shipping is cheap.

Do you do the gutting then he puts them back together?
I grind off the seam, gut and open up the outlet, re-assemble and rubber band together, and all he does is run a bead around it.

Still a pain in ass to cut apart I do 361s that way then braze a second deflector on the fw side. Or uncrimp. It's still same amount of time to uncrimp and recrimp or cut then tig or braze all the back together. I found you have to move around welding back together or brazing and take breaks to let I cool so you dont warp muffler

Still a pain in ass to cut apart
On the Dolmars it's just one trip around the can on the belt sander.
I found you have to move around welding back together or brazing and take breaks to let I cool so you dont warp muffler
Like I said, $20 for the welding seems like a no-brainer to me.

On the Dolmars it's just one trip around the can on the belt sander.

Like I said, $20 for the welding seems like a no-brainer to me.
I just do my own from start to finish don't want 20 bucks in round trip to ship on top of that still puts you back to 50 vucks

If you're doing it for the $$ sure, but there are guys here who have helped me out, and I would help out.
Who said anything about being in it for the money. There isn't any money in theses saws. It's a passion and a hobby. I got 3 rebuilds sitting here trying to sell with muffler mods. I got over 200 in each one in materials plus labor and I'm taking 500 for 460 650 for 461 and 750 for 064 shipped and no takers . I may make 100 profit on each saw If I'm lucky. Back to the muffler If it's 20 bucks to weld it as you said it's 10 to ship it puts you at 30 and 10 for him to ship it back from guy who is welding it. For 20 bucks.that is 40 bucks for shipping and welding or 20 for each no matter how you slice the pie.

Who said anything about being in it for the money. There isn't any money in theses saws. It's a passion and a hobby. I got 3 rebuilds sitting here trying to sell with muffler mods. I got over 200 in each one in materials plus labor and I'm taking 500 for 460 650 for 461 and 750 for 064 shipped and no takers . I may make 100 profit on each saw If I'm lucky. Back to the muffler If it's 20 bucks to weld it as you said it's 10 to ship it puts you at 30 and 10 for him to ship it back from guy who is welding it. For 20 bucks.that is 40 bucks for shipping and welding or 20 for each no matter how you slice the pie.
Hard luck life eh?

So you purchased an 064 that needed rebuilt for $450+ :eek:

there’s no gov program to subsidize poor chainsaw flips....... free markets a **** eh?

Wondering if anyone does basic muffler modding? I have a number of homeowner grade saws that I would like internal baffles and/or cats removed. Open up the muffler, remove innards, and close them up. If you’ve got the ability to braze in an exit pipe that’s even better. Otherwise I can add gills when I get them back.

****To be clear, I’m not looking for a referral to one of our member saw builders who charges $50 plus to do this. That’s totally worth it IMO for pro saws but not for the saws I’m working on.

Anybody can do a muff mod with a dremmel and a little gumption

Dremmel= $40
Gumption= FREE

A long while ago.... I hacked and whacked my way through my first muffler mod with a pair of tin snips :rare2:

To be clear, Steve asked if anyone wanted to mod some mufflers. He didn't ask for a bunch of reasons why you don't want to mod his mufflers. Also, I've only met Steve once, but I think he's got a fair grasp on basic math.

So you purchased an 064 that needed rebuilt for $450+ :eek:

there’s no gov program to subsidize poor chainsaw flips....... free markets a **** eh?
That's not what all I said. So are you saying my labor don't account for anything and I also said over 200 in parts in each sae. That one being the most. New bearings, 30 bucks seal kit 40 bucks fuel line 13 bucks fuel filter 5 bucks , oil line kit, 8 bucks muffler mod, 20 bucks in deflector and solder often and acetelybe alone recoil rotor 8 bucks , starter pawls, 4 bucks fuel valve, 5 bucks fuel vent 6 bucks impulse line. 8 bucks carb kit 10 bucks the tank was broke bought a used oem tank, 50 bucks replaced 2 av mounts, 25 bucks the cylinder I pulled off was bad KS I had to put a used oem cylinder I had a mahle there 100 used alone all day if you can find one, a new meteor piston and caber rings, 30 bucks new plug, 5 bucks new plug wire lead 5 bucks , then it had firing issues I had to change fw and coils thats 75 in used parts I had here. There is an update on carb box and intake boot and I had an air leak I had to buy a used carb box were it's flat and not curved for 12 bucks cuz saw wouldn't run right, new oil worm gear another 8 bucks fuel and oil cap gaskets replaced 7 bucks a chain catcher another 5 bucks not counting my labor of probably 25 to 30 hours getting thing right. So there you have it cowboy add it up. I will also tell you same don't be a wise guy. And there is no reason why a msn can't mod his own mufflers with a dremel and bits. I was merely giving examples. It's not a poor decision either cuz if it don't sell I don't give a F U C K it can stay here with the rest of my collection. I'm not hurting for money nor am I gonna give it away. So have a great day sunshine

Latest posts

Back