Stumped (pun intended) stihl ms361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeSteed

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I figure one of you "AS" geniuses have to know this one. Because I'm stumped. I am trying to figure out if the ms361 shared any parts with the 036 or if I have some sort of Frankensaw situation going on. A few months back, I had finished rebuilding my trusty old ms361 that was the first new saw I had bought. I recently acquired an extremely neglected ms361 and a low mileage 180c for free. The 180c had bar oil issues. A quick set screw fix and I'm in business. The 361 needs alot of new parts. So I am refurbishing the thing basically.
Anyway... to the point..... I am going off of part numbers ordering things. So far everything matches ms361. And it's obvious just by looking at it even though it is missing all model labels and badges... But this dang chain brake handle. When I type this number in, I'm getting a chain brake handle for an 036. Are they the same? Does anyone have the 036 and ms361 to compare these handles? The 036 oem handle/ guards are more readily available and a little cheaper than the ms361 handles. If they're identical I'll roll with the 036 handle. But I want this saw to be right. It just makes me wonder. Well if these interchange why aren't they listed as such. Especially in the AM world. Or what is done to this saw that idk about. Seems like a bone stock neglected saw. All stihl everything on it still. The CB handle has been on the saw for a good while as well by the looks of it. And before I started breaking it down, the chain brake works great. The handle is just cracked. So I'm just curious if anyone can inform me. Here's what I have for oem part numbers.

1135 790 9100 = ms341 ms361 handle (what the saw should have)

1135 792 9100 = 034 036 ms360 handle (currently what this saw is wearing as shown in pictures)

I truly appreciate any input on the mystery
Take care y'all!

Attachments

• 20191004_090559.jpg
    20191004_090559.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 21
  • 20191004_090330.jpg
    20191004_090330.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 22
If the brake handle fits and operates the brake then save yourself some money and order what’s on it. Hope that answer helps but I see you’re from the “Show Me” state so my answer may not cut it.:)

Ha! That's the dead truth for us MO guys! Nah I'm kidding. I never cut with the saw or anything. It ran and is an ms361, for free. So I was tickled pink and just wanted to get to work on it. However compression was sitting right at 120 when I got it to the shop and started tinkering, so I knew there were issues that needed addressed before it's too late. Well I can't see the cylinder fully yet, but a piston is in order for sure. Cylinder may also have 1 large gouge past the nikasil unfortunately. I'll know this weekend. So far I've pulled probably 2 pounds of sludge and wood. Still alot to go before I am comfortable exposing the crank. I'm hoping to be able to save the bottom end at least so I'm taking my time and making sure nothing gets where it shouldn't.
Anyhow..... I appreciate the input regardless. I just hate to put an 036 handle on it again if there's something different about them that could potentially harm the functionality of the saw when the brake is actually needed from kickback or some sort of accident (God forbid) and I don't want to hurt the saw itself. Or anything. This saws AV was all rotted out, screws were loose and missing, etc. So nothing felt solid. It will in a few weeks. Hopefully. I may do some porting if it needs a cylinder. So could be a couple months with work being so busy.
I would if nothing else still like to know if these things are identical. If they are, what else is identical? Or is a 362 brake handle using the same mounting points also. Etc. Etc. The 362 does have a BA looking CB handle.
But in all reality when I run into things like this, I'll research first, then ask in hopes for a solid answer. Just for the info, knowlege, etc. I like things to be correct. I like to be right if I'm going to put out info myself.... Truth is, I just don't know everything dang it. Lol! Sure wish I had an 036 too. PRO model preferably. That was my favorite saw to run. Bone stock also. When my father traded his 036 PRO for a newer, smaller, lighter saw...I liked to come unglued on the inside. Told him I would have bought him whatever small saw he wanted for that 036 PRO. But it is what it is. He still has the little ms 250 he traded for and likes it alot after I did the MM, tune, and tsumura lightweight bar. Still no 036 PRO by any means. But, Meh..... What do ya do?!
Ramble on like I just did perhaps?

Hey, Thanks again!

Not sure if it's my network or what, but I can't seem to open that attachment. Maybe when I get home from work, I'll be able to see it.
Not an attachment. I couldn’t get it to link but I figured you could type in that listing title to find it.

Not an attachment. I couldn’t get it to link but I figured you could type in that listing title to find it.

Thanks! That thing is now mine, will get a new set of Cabers, and will find itself a new home atop my 1978 032 AV!

Very much appreciated Dahmer!

1125 792 9100 is on the 034
1135 790 9100 is on the ms361

Thanks HarleyT.
I had different part numbers for the 034-ms360 handle. But that does make sense. It is my understanding that the ms341/ms361 are the only 2 with the 1135 reference number
My part number matches yours for the ms361 handle

Yet the chain brake handle on My ms361 isn't a part # 1135 790 9100 as stated.

It's wearing a part # 1135 792 9100 shown in the pics. Do you have any idea why it's a different part number than all other ms341/ms361 chain brake handles? It's a genuine stihl CB handle. Looks like it's been on the life of the saw. Never seen another handle share that number. So it's got me "stumped" per say. An odd duck? Or a stihl factory misprint? I'd sure like to figure it out.

Thanks again for the input!

It's wearing a part # 1135 792 9100 shown in the pics. Do you have any idea why it's a different part number than all other ms341/ms361 chain brake handles?

It is often the case that the number on the part itself is not the real part number for ordering. I`ve seen that many times. The real part number is always in the IPL.

Also keep in mind, although they may be nearly identical and fit, The brake handle is part of the inertia actuating system of the chain brake. Check the weight and dimensions as well. If it's lighter or shorter, it may not trigger the brake as quickly or at all if the saw kicks back. If, heaven forbid, there is an injury, there could be legal issues.

Also keep in mind, although they may be nearly identical and fit, The brake handle is part of the inertia actuating system of the chain brake. Check the weight and dimensions as well. If it's lighter or shorter, it may not trigger the brake as quickly or at all if the saw kicks back. If, heaven forbid, there is an injury, there could be legal issues.

Yes I agree! 100%!
Safety is something I am very strict about. Safety is not up for debate! It had me questioning the safety and the build of this saw at first. Because I had the part numbers wrong for the 034,036,ms360 handle. Which is actually 1125, not 1135. So that part of the question was squashed pretty early on. I had thought maybe somehow someone rigged up an 036 system to fit on this saw, because of the odd part number on my brake handle. But that doesn't seem to be the case. And all parts on the saw including the brake handle, and braking and clutch components are stihl 1135 parts. So I believe I am good to go on that.

Though the brake handle part number doesn't match my IPL or any part # I've seen anywhere else, it's still an 1135 series CB handle on the saw. Just on odd duck I suppose. I do appreciate the input!! :cool:

It is often the case that the number on the part itself is not the real part number for ordering. I`ve seen that many times. The real part number is always in the IPL.

Thanks a bunch DND 9000! That is what I wanted to hear. Though I have pretty much assumed that now after getting my part numbers right, It's a good thing to know that this isn't uncommon. I haven't run into an odd part number like this on a genuine, and original Stihl part. Never. But I am also not a saw mechanic or builder by trade. Only by hobby.

I really appreciate the info! Now I know. Always follow the IPL, and don't put too much thought into the part number it came with as long as the series numbers match. That was a Yuuuuge help in the knowledge department! Take care! :cheers:

Back