New toy/tool

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You got a hell of a saw and for a steal of a price. I got the smaller brother to your saw, the DCS6401 and paid I think $290 a few months ago. I’ve done a muffler mod and the saw flat out rips. Strong runner for 64cc.

I might have to buy one of those Smurf stickers myself. Pretty cool.

how do you like that bar on your makita? what size is that? 20"?

I use TsuMura, when the 28” Husky bar wears out I’ll switch it to TsuMura.

I have never seen one of these babies sold for less than $400, even the 6421. Yep, you stole the saw, no doubt about it. This saw will rip logs with a 32" bar and chain and an Alaska saw mill, even wood as hard as ash:
View attachment 763536
That's awesome! Actually what attracted me the most about this saw and deal was the ability to eventually get a Alaskan saw mill to use with it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I see them fairly regularly for cheap here in Oregon. Cheapest I’ve gotten a 6401 was for $150. But I often see good deals here in Oregon compared to other parts of the country.

Can someone tell me if I can get smaller, less aggressive felling dogs for this 7901? I like them but don't need them to big. Any aftermarket or smaller Dolmar or Makita saw have some that will fit? Thanks!

Can someone tell me if I can get smaller, less aggressive felling dogs for this 7901? I like them but don't need them to big. Any aftermarket or smaller Dolmar or Makita saw have some that will fit? Thanks!
Yes they do take up useable bar length but I’m pretty sure your stuck with them unless you reduce their size yourself. Be warned, they are EXTREMELY hard. I modified a couple pair to get rid of the standard chain catcher and went to a roller catcher. Had to use a solid carbide drill to drill them out, they ate standard and tungsten bites like a fat lady at an all you can eat buffet.

Could probably buy the newer version of the spikes and just grind them down. Just buy a single and run it inside. Or check ebay for falling spikes and see if you can make something work.

Stihl calls these bumper spikes rather than felling dogs. I actually like the Dolmar version better than Stihl's version. Dolmar's (and Makita's) are a better design in my book. Just MHO.

Yeah I like them, but like said above, they take up usable cutting space. Not a big deal but I wanted a 20 inch bar for my purposes and now feel like a have a 18 after having the 20 on there lol!! Probably need to have the 24" back on but I like the balance of the 20" better... First world problems.

Back