Wood Cutting Session

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If you go out for a cutting session, when do you stop

• When I run out of wood to cut

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • When it gets dark

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • When I have cut a certain volume IE cord/face cord/pickup load, etc

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • When I get too hot/run out of energy

Votes: 19 50.0%
  • When my saw/saws are out of gas

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Just curious how you define a “cutting session”. Let’s say it’s a Saturday morning and you are heading out to cut wood. How much wood/how long do you cut before calling it a day?

I’m a volume guy. I usually plan to fill the truck and trailer each day. Or just the truck if I’m out in the evening.

When I start to get low on food or the ice when its all melted which is a maximum of six weeks. I often take twenty gallons of ice with about sixty to eighty pounds of food. The ice will last an easy month during the summer so having food that is starting to spoil says time to go home. Yeah kind of a pig I would say. I like fired potatoes with eggs, taco and every thing else too. I can average three to five cords a day cut and piled with my winch. Then the next go around will have me and helper splitting for a month. Gets me enough to spend the rest of the year delivering. Thanks

Just curious how you define a “cutting session”. Let’s say it’s a Saturday morning and you are heading out to cut wood. How much wood/how long do you cut before calling it a day?

I’m a volume guy. I usually plan to fill the truck and trailer each day. Or just the truck if I’m out in the evening.

My sessions were by the hour. Back when my 'wooding' work day was about 6 hours. That was either cutting or back in the woodlot splitting/stacking. I've slowed down considerable with age, it is now down to about 4 hours. Usually make 4 if I am out cutting. Probably do around 4 in the woodlot but not in one session.

Retired now and plenty ahead on the wood supply. As I get older, my sessions get shorter but everything is close to home so I can get out often with no inconvenience.
Normally I keep it to one task per session.
I will cut one day, haul the next and so forth.
At this point I can go longer on some days than others. On a good day I would call a pickup load a decent effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to go until I had a full load but now that Wayne helps me and he won’t leave his invalid wife alone for more than 3 hours then now a “session” is 3 hours, be it cutting or loading. Fine by me, now I’m not all sore and stiff the next day. I don’t know what happened, woke up one day and I was in my mid-60’s.

I rarely do long wood cutting sessions and try to squeeze in shorts bursts when I have time. So my most common stopping point would be a specified time period. Of your list I would say a certain amount of wood is closest (for example: I have *time* to go pick up one truck load or split a pile of rounds.) I have used all of the reasons you listed though.

I usually have firewood in various stages around the property including logs, rounds, splits, and completed stacks so I work on what I can when I can. Just did a 15 minute splitting session before dinner.

When I was in my late 40's - early 50's I would cut & haul 2 or 3 loads of rounds, truck & trailer, to fill my landing, about a 10 or 12 hour day. Then I would split & stack it as time allowed. Now that I'm in my 60's 1 load or maybe 2 on a good day, no more than 6 or 7 hours cutting & loading/unloading.

Cut till I run out of fuel for the saw, walk back to thre barn and get one with a full tank cut more. wife will call it is dinner time so quit.
After dinner fill the saws and put new fresh chains on and go cut till all the 4 saws are empty.
I do 90% in the winter. let it lay all summer then in the fall start hauling split in the woods what I can't lift in the trailer and some times every stick. depends on how well it is splitting.
Like to split when it is freezeing cold out side any way and make a day of it.

:D Al

I normally just cut and split till my 5x8 trailer is full. If i have to take atv i will put some in truck and some in trailer. Usually 3 to 4 hours is plenty of time for me then my back says quit.

I dont lime to cut too much ahaed at the bush i cut at now. Its rite off the road and afraid someone will steal it.

When i cut at my uncles place which i really havnt last couple years couse been so wet in fall and spring i used to go and cut all day but that was with a buddy from work. And we could do quite a bit in a day. And my boy would haul the wood to my little landing spot. Then i didnt need the atv when it came to getting it.
Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

I try to cut to get a full trailer/truck to maximize my efficiency. If I have more than I can load I stack in the woods then use that to fill under full loads from that area. I hate spending the time traversing the trails with an under loaded trailer.

Dark? - turn the tractor lights on and keep going until done.

Latest posts

Back