Mityvac Stripping

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m not sure why I do it really, often times it’s frustrating to put back together. However, when I get something new, that I know can be taken apart (or at least designed to be!) I like to do so. There is something about giving me confidence in using it and being free of concern if something were to go wrong, knowing I can take it apart and fix it.

Anyway, I stripped the Mityvac gave it a good oil with the manufactured recommendation of vegetable oil (news to me that grease damages o-rings!) and thought i’d share the internals. Do you also love taking things apart? Chainsaw or not, do you find it addictive?!

420E33F3-3DE6-49C1-807E-DC351411BC6C.jpeg

I'm guilty of the very same thing!
I take everything apart to see how it works and familiarize myself with the internals and if it won't work I always take it apart before it's scrapped and another purchased. [emoji106][emoji106]

Homelite collector in training [emoji879]

I'm guilty of the very same thing!
I take everything apart to see how it works and familiarize myself with the internals and if it won't work I always take it apart before it's scrapped and another purchased. [emoji106][emoji106]

Glad to hear I’m not alone!!

I know pictures are worth a 1000 words so I'll try to find the picture of when I took my brand new Harley apart because I wanted to have a White Brothers lowering kit installed. They wanted several hundred dollars for the job and I'm cheap! Should've seen the look on my wife's face...priceless [emoji33]

Vegetable oil will gum things up if you don't use the pump often.
Especially the red valve. Cleaning, when I need it, is a pita.
I've been using silicone spray. Shoot it in the vac port and it shoots out the pressure.
I do have an old pump. They might have changed to oring composition.

Back