170 floating sprocket

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bad answer..I am installing a floating sprocket...does it matter 7 or 8? And I need a new drum also yes???
anybody got a good ebay link for a package...Oregon brand is good..

Going from the stock 6t spur to a 7t or 8t rim sprocket will increase chain speed with less torque.
With the very soft hardwood you guy's have there it should work fine? running a 7 or 8 tooth rim and .050 low pro chain.

I tried a 7t rim with .050 low pro chain on my ms170 in hardwood here and it was a fail the 170 didn't have the power to pull the chain at even a half descent speed
I went back to the 6t spur sprocket.

The only way for you to know if running the setup you want to run is try it for yourself in the timber you have.

The 6 tooth spur is likely the proper advice, likewise the no answer in post #2. If you do get a rim drive set up get Genuine Stihl as that is the only common way to get a sprocket of the diameter and tooth contour for low profile chain. Not really any more $ either. I would use the 0.043 chain, I think the 8 tooth picco sprocket has been discontinued anyway. Part number 1123 007 1030. Try this one it may fit as small a saw as you have, ask the dealer.

bad answer..I am installing a floating sprocket...does it matter 7 or 8? And I need a new drum also yes???
anybody got a good ebay link for a package...Oregon brand is good..
There is an ebay listing for such a device if you search. It comes with the clutch shoes and drum and sprocket but others that have bought it have posted enough pictures so the link could be considered good but not the product. Assume this is the one other threads have discussed. that listing would seem to indicate the 170 is compatible with the 211 through 251

Unbelievable. So can I get a 6 floating sprocket and drum??? THe spur drums suck. MIne is already beat to ****.

Back