Stihl 034 won't start & needs top end kit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is one thing really good about this thread. Sometimes the engine may not run well even with a fresh plug. Change the plug and the engine may start to run well again because the "fresh" one was leaking. A leaking plug can rob compression. One for the books.

im with ya on that! I put a second plug in it and same thing. I noticed when I did initially pressure test it after assembly that it was leaking at the plug and the decompression port. I installed the plug that came with it rather than a decomp valve. I had to tighten both to stop the air leaks. I’m guessing the plug seals well enough to pass the 7-8psi pressure test but not enough to seal with compression.

Assuming you're using good name brand plugs there's really only two reasons for a leak there. You're not tightening it enough or the jug is effed. So more tightening won't hurt anything. I'm not sure where it says 27ft/lbs but that's not nearly enough.

Assuming you're using good name brand plugs there's really only two reasons for a leak there. You're not tightening it enough or the jug is effed. So more tightening won't hurt anything. I'm not sure where it says 27ft/lbs but that's not nearly enough.

the service manual for it says 25nm which is around 18ft lbs. As long as the threads hold I’ll give it more tomorrow. The jug looks and feels perfectly flat but I’ll double check again for sure.

Attachments

• 0C456133-9329-4584-ADD5-C5219405F4F8.png
    0C456133-9329-4584-ADD5-C5219405F4F8.png
    344.1 KB · Views: 3
the service manual for it says 25nm which is around 18ft lbs. As long as the threads hold I’ll give it more tomorrow. The jug looks and feels perfectly flat but I’ll double check again for sure.
No way that Nancy **** would compress the washers on a W22MPR-U...

By the way I am speaking from experience on using that copper washer, it will seal it, will also seal a poorly fitted insert

well I tried the copper washer trick today. They didn’t have an exact fit so I had to slightly punch one out with the drill press. Torqued it down and it does seem like it’s sealing now. Crossing fingers it stays that way!

The only remaining issue seems to be the 036 muffler I bought doesn’t fit up right to the exhaust port on the cylinder at the bottom of the port. There’s a gap there so it’s expelling some I burnt fuel from running rich still. Is there a spacer I need to buy or anything? Double gasket?

well I tried the copper washer trick today. They didn’t have an exact fit so I had to slightly punch one out with the drill press. Torqued it down and it does seem like it’s sealing now. Crossing fingers it stays that way!

The only remaining issue seems to be the 036 muffler I bought doesn’t fit up right to the exhaust port on the cylinder at the bottom of the port. There’s a gap there so it’s expelling some I burnt fuel from running rich still. Is there a spacer I need to buy or anything? Double gasket?
Is the muffler AM?

An 036 muffler should fit an 036 Jug perfectly on the 034 chassis. The top cover front air dam needs to be trimmed to clear the large 2nd fin on the jug, not the muffler.

The later MS360 and 036PRO came with heat shields. This may be what you are missing.

Is the muffler AM?

An 036 muffler should fit an 036 Jug perfectly on the 034 chassis. The top cover front air dam needs to be trimmed to clear the large 2nd fin on the jug, not the muffler.

The later MS360 and 036PRO came with heat shields. This may be what you are missing.

Correct the muffler is AM. I’ve got the top cover trimmed and fits perfect. It looks like the muffler is a hair too short. The ears that mount to the chassis won’t let it sit back far enough to fit right against the jug.

Back