Stihl 038

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacG1986

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all. So I asked for some help here a few weeks ago and you guys were right on. My saw was not starting cause the choke linkage was not functioning properly. The saw is running now but not very well. It ran well before the fuel tank replacement so I'm assuming the carb is okay. But it's cutting out and lots of smoke like it's rich. I noticed that the person who did the work has a piece of flexible conduit over the spark plug wire. That was not there before. Could it be week spark so that's why? Or carburetor issue? Any insight would be appreciated.

Hum, hadn't considered that, I'll have a look, but it appears to functioning properly at this point.

Hum, hadn't considered that, I'll have a look, but it appears to functioning properly at this point.

What he's saying is that the choke flap gets partially sucked closed at high rpm. There's a tiny spring holding the choke flap open and that spring gets weak over time causing the symptoms you describe.

If I pulled the air filter off and ran it that way that would tell me if it was the spring or not right?

Latest posts

Back