• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy 2101xp coil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Huskybill

Yeppers black SEM, i disconnected the stop switch, new plug, removed flywheel and cleaned all the crud on the inside, still no spark

Evilroy
I just got her a few weeks ago,havent even used it yet, so i guess its going to still be my problem lol

Check the magnet on the flywheel, you should be able to hang an average size screwdriver from it. The magnet is held in with an epoxy coating Sometimes the epoxy degrades and the magnet can move. If it does it will get pulled towards the coil as it rotates past which reduces the gap. Are you checking in low light so you can see a spark? On bad setups that I’ve had the coil poles are blued from friction as the flywheel rubs because the magnet is loose.

Evilroy

Magnet holds a nice sized screw driver, also the magnet loojs firmly secure in the fly wheel, just the out layer has become brittle, some sawdust has built up between the magent and casing, do u think it looks like a problem?

The coil looks like theres no rubbing marks on it?

Attachments

• 20191002_104028.jpg
    20191002_104028.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 6
  • 20191002_104144.jpg
    20191002_104144.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 6
I've got a couple that the plug wire coming out of the coil has internally broken and give inconsistent spark or no spark at all sometimes.

I think i might have found my problem, after cleaning around the base of the wires, the insulation on kill wire is frayed, only hope it wasnt me wiping the dirt away that broke it

Attachments

• 15700408969983224550245120116505.jpg
    15700408969983224550245120116505.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 9
Good start on troubleshooting. Get some electronic cleaning spray, usually trichoroethelene, common at any auto parts store. I doubt it was grounding out because of that but anything is possible. They do make a liquid electrical tape, really just liquid rubber like flex seal. Check continuity between the bare wires and your terminal just because you can do so easily. Like I said before, worst case you spend $140 and buy a new one. Before you do though, I remember you saying that you replaced the plug. Did you replace the spring that pierces the wire also? Maybe you missed the main wire enough that you have little to no spark. A very unfunny way to check is put your fingers in between the center wire and ground and pull the cord. Wetted fingers with cotton or cloth on them is even more useful. It hurts like hell but proves a point

And your coil and flywheel both look pretty good from pictures. The flywheel for sure has some flaking but just keep an eye on it. Used flywheels are out there but in 4 years of searching hard I’ve only found 1 new flywheel

Im not sure what spring your are referring too? But i also noticed a small fray in the sparkplug wire right at the base, i wrapped it up still no spark, im leaning towards just buying a new one, can you put and ohms tester on these coils? just seems weird how both wires are almost bent against the case, not a whole lot of room bewteen the case and coil, i can see how these things wear out at the base of the coil, just curious were u have found one for $140? Im guessin thats us dollars too lol I was hoping to find a decent used one, but i guess im out to lunch

I have several coils but, the problem is guaranting they work. I don't like sellIng anything that is unknown. Some work till they heat up and then loose spark once warm.

I'd have agree about buying new. Unless you have easy access to used coils, new is probably the best bet.

I'm in Canada as well, we aren't going to find a new coil for $140 on our side of the boarder.

If you really need a used coil, I'll sell you one or we can trade. I've got lots of 2100 parts and I'm always looking for big Stihl stuff and big husky stuff. Let me know if you are interested. I can make sure it's in good physical condition and has basic spark, can't promise anything else.

Hi tom

Unfortunately i have nothing to trade, i just bought this saw at an estate sale for $115, has good compression, but i have no idea how it will run, what would u be thinking on price for a coil?, whitty u can jump in here too lol, just want to hear her run

He's in Canada. Says the item won't ship to me, I'm assuming it won't ship to him either.

Also, after exchange rate, shipping, handling, and duties, it'll be almost $300 Canadian.

Back