O flip these flippy caps.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustang71

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Had the rope in a big old ash tree today with my dad here to help cut and everything in place. I oiled the saw and gased it then put the caps in and the oil flippy cap came off in my hand... ok now what my bored 290 with a 20 inch bar is out if commission and my 028 has a 16 inch bar. This tree is a good 24 inches in diamater. No stihl dealers anywhere near here so I grabbed the 051 with the 25 inch bar. I've never used this saw since I bought it but it was awesome. Low rpm torque. Being a rare chain brake saw that was used for logging it worked like it should. I liked the flippy caps until today and now I need to buy some new ones. It was a day out of the 80s, the 028 and 051 being the dream team. There was a husky 450 also. Turns out the weight of the 051 makes bucking logs easy.

Five plus years on a 461 no broken caps yet. I probably better buy a spare set and throw them in the chain saw tool box just in case. When you need your saw your need your saw don't want to be running to town looking for caps.

Seems like the Stihl ones are the problem they have to be just perfect and you can’t over fill or fill the tank completely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back