10 yr old working on Husqvarna 55 saw (chain removed) -- has question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He's here with me, just read everyone's comments. He says "thank you for all your advice." He's in the process of changing the fuel line. He really thinks the "squishy fuel line" idea was on target. And he says if that doesn't work, he'll try everything else. He thinks that "svk" is "absolutely right" about the 55, it's a great chainsaw for him to start with. He also thinks this forum is awesome. :yes: Including the emojis at the bottom of the screen. Hoping to keep turning frustration into a positive experience here. :)

I'm going with no tank vent, saw runs lean and dies.
Wow I didn’t know that could cause it to run lean! I’d have thought it would do the opposite - if anything too much fuel gets sucked, can you explain more? Thanks for sharing !

EDIT - update

Oh I think I get you, what you were saying was “the tank can’t vent due to blockage or damage to the vent, so it is running lean” and not what I thought you meant - “there is no tank vent present, just the hole, so it will run lean!”

No equalizing air can get in as fuel is burnt so a vacuum forms in the fuel tank and starves the saw for fuel causing it to run lean.

Actually one of my first lessons working on a saw. I had a 046 that I rebuilt the carb and replaced the fuel filter, fuel hose, impulse line etc. Then I asked on the forums why my saw would run great for about a minute then die and someone put me onto the tank vent. Changed it and everything worked great after

No equalizing air can get in as fuel is burnt so a vacuum forms in the fuel tank and starves the saw for fuel causing it to run lean.

Actually one of my first lessons working on a saw. I had a 046 that I rebuilt the carb and replaced the fuel filter, fuel hose, impulse line etc. Then I asked on the forums why my saw would run great for about a minute then die and someone put me onto the tank vent. Changed it and everything worked great after
Ah yep it was my guess as to why the saw died - I wrote this earlier and then saw your post and got confused!

Update: it was hard for him to attach fuel line back to fuel tank vent (it's the white plastic, right?). He spent more time than he wanted on that. When I finally saw that happening, I suggested the heat gun. Seemed to work real good, I'm guessing it doesn't hurt anything. He's got a new fuel tank vent (if it's the white plastic), it came with the new carb kit. Anyway, new fuel line is in, and he was happy, because, he said, now the saw responds right when he adjusts the carb. Meaning, he can get it to run rich and lean, which he couldn't before. It's still not 100%, though. Because he didn't cut the fuel line just right -- he needs to shorten it next time he gets time. And then he thinks he can finally adjust the carb to be just right. He thinks when that's all done it'll run fine. So he's happy now. I hope he'll make a YouTube video before long, like somebody suggested, because he seemed to like the idea, and I told him it'd be great to really give everyone a listen. THANKS TO ALL! He really appreciates this group.

Update: it was hard for him to attach fuel line back to fuel tank vent (it's the white plastic, right?). He spent more time than he wanted on that. When I finally saw that happening, I suggested the heat gun. Seemed to work real good, I'm guessing it doesn't hurt anything. He's got a new fuel tank vent (if it's the white plastic), it came with the new carb kit. Anyway, new fuel line is in, and he was happy, because, he said, now the saw responds right when he adjusts the carb. Meaning, he can get it to run rich and lean, which he couldn't before. It's still not 100%, though. Because he didn't cut the fuel line just right -- he needs to shorten it next time he gets time. And then he thinks he can finally adjust the carb to be just right. He thinks when that's all done it'll run fine. So he's happy now. I hope he'll make a YouTube video before long, like somebody suggested, because he seemed to like the idea, and I told him it'd be great to really give everyone a listen. THANKS TO ALL! He really appreciates this group.
If he has any questions on tuning there are many great YouTube videos in how to tune by ear. A little too rich is definitely better than too lean! And the highest RPM the saw will reach out of the wood is actually too lean.

Winner of father of the year award right here! So nice you both have this to bond over. I’m 28, and I can’t wait to go back to the Uk shortly to bond with my father over saws. Thanks for keeping us updated :)

Thank you. He's a good kid. My Dad was not mechanically inclined at all. But if he had YouTube and Internet forums like this, he woulda done a lot better. Fantastic resources. You guys might not realize -- kid was getting real frustrated about the saw when he got the new carb and it still was dying. Tough when the thing you like the most in the world isn't working. When you're 10. So getting ideas and feeling like "hey maybe I CAN fix this" means tons to him. Tons. It's a bigger kindness than maybe you'd realize. A couple years ago we worked on a riding lawn mower somebody gave us and we'd never got it started up. We made some adjustments. He didn't want to be there when we tried to start it up after. I asked why. He said he didn't want the disappointment if it was a fail. He's gotten better and better at all this. Now we have like 4 castoff riding mowers, 6 push mowers, 3 weed whackers, 3 rototillers and an outboard in our yard. It's cool but can be frustrating -- GREAT to have help.

Thank you. He's a good kid. My Dad was not mechanically inclined at all. But if he had YouTube and Internet forums like this, he woulda done a lot better. Fantastic resources. You guys might not realize -- kid was getting real frustrated about the saw when he got the new carb and it still was dying. Tough when the thing you like the most in the world isn't working. When you're 10. So getting ideas and feeling like "hey maybe I CAN fix this" means tons to him. Tons. It's a bigger kindness than maybe you'd realize. A couple years ago we worked on a riding lawn mower somebody gave us and we'd never got it started up. We made some adjustments. He didn't want to be there when we tried to start it up after. I asked why. He said he didn't want the disappointment if it was a fail. He's gotten better and better at all this. Now we have like 4 castoff riding mowers, 6 push mowers, 3 weed whackers, 3 rototillers and an outboard in our yard. It's cool but can be frustrating -- GREAT to have help.
That is very cool.

As a word of advice-when fixing up old stuff just know when to say when. Do not feel like you MUST fix everything that comes to you. I have gotten into a few nightmare repair jobs that seemingly never end.

Always check for compression and spark before getting into any other repairs. If you are going to work on more saws a pressure/vacuum test will be hugely helpful as well. If an engine has compression and spark it should fire momentarily if fuel is dribbled into the carb. If it doesn't you may have more issues.

He’s possibly still a little young to understand what I’m about to say of my experiences when it comes to failures and setbacks, but please do pass it on to him as it may stick.

“Sometimes you’ll have to work hard for success, things won’t always work the first, second or even third, but don’t give up. Every failure is a lesson and every time you succeed (I promise you eventually will) it will be the best feeling you’ll ever get, something money can’t buy. The longer the struggle the better the feeling when you succeed. Success without hardship is actually very unfulfilling. You WILL eventually get your chainsaw working, don’t give up if the first attempt didn’t fix the problem, come back here and we’ll have another solution!”

And dad, it’s christmas soon ;) a pressure / vacuum tester would make a fantastic present!

I think the Mityvac is over rated if I’m honest. I stupidly sold a cheaper one I owned to order the Mityvac yet it was as good if not better and 1/4 of the price. Had better hose lines and a clearer dial. The box held the attachments in an organised way and it’s action was smoother...

4F3DC34B-BC7F-4C40-B273-7482EF1D8B0D.jpeg

Before he changed the carb, the chain saw would start up, run good for 2 seconds, and then would not rev up at all.

So he replaced the carb, and now it runs good for about 2 and a half minutes, and then it won't rev up and it is dying on him again.

I don't usually contribute to 'minors' as I prefer Husqvarna Pro Line. Nevertheless, our friends, Nevertheless.
After all , it is a Husqvarna.
"The show must go on"!

As said: A video is best as things can be lost in translation.

I have a friend that started on outbounds and go-carts (McCullock ) at about 8-9 yrs old. I was there from the beginning. His first projects were both 18HP outboards that came with the house in the '70's. One Johnson and one Evenrude from the 1950's. He was Certified Marine Merc/Mariner & small engine by '87

I remember him telling me about 10 yrs ago that he was chasing his tail whilst working on an older J-Red.
This actually had a fuel line that would collapse at open throttle.
Always something to keep in mind with older saws. It took 30 yrs for him to run into that problem. Not that common but a good thing to take out of the equation with older saws.

The young man said after 2 1/2 min, the saw won't rev up?...And is dying on him again.

Maybe a few problems here?
If the idle (Throttle) is low then the revs should drop on a saw when warmed up.
(Hence 2 1/2 min)
Make sure that all three springs are on the clutch?
Who is to say that the springs aren't worn and are grabing as it warms up?

That doesn't account for the saw not wanting to rev up after a few min but still may be a 'health factor'

A vent will lean out often after a few minutes and uncontrollable scream up untill you crack the gas cap slightly or It will start to cough out and die next.
If it dies then you have to open your tank before you start it again.

Doesn't sound like the vent to me.
Impulse line? Possibly, although generally dies in the cut.
Some guys have actually had the fuel and vent line mixed up and it would run for a while off a full tank.

I just got your update as I wrote this^^ at 3:30 am before work.
If it is the gas line then that is nice and If it's not then he will learn more.
It's always nice to keep your saws compatable, even more so then you are learning to troubleshoot engine behaviours. At the bare minimum, at least have a good coil and wire and an extra carb and spark plug. on hand. + Starter spring.
Now he thinks he has a kinked line?
If not then it may be time for that video.

Wow, that's a lot of great advice. I'm gonna pass it on. One thing I wanted to tell Westboastfaller -- my kid said 2 1/2 minutes, but I forgot his sense of time is a 10 yr old's. When I checked, it seemed more like 1 minute, maybe 1 1/4 minutes that it would run before it died. But that was before he changed the fuel line anyways. I'll keep you posted on what happens after he snips that fuel line. I'm going to push for that video. I think it'd be great if he started a YouTube channel anyway. His faves that I've seen are Mustie1, RuralVermonter, ChrisFix, Doug DeMuro, RoadKill, TopGear. And RetroHax I'll definitely think about the pressure tester. I totally agree that every failure is a chance to learn something. I'll remind him. I remember hearing of a chess master who said he actually liked every game he lost cause it taught him something very important. Same idea.

Yup poor poor kid. Maybe a good parent should go buy some him some video games. The next thing you know he will have the family car apart putting in new rings so it can go another 100 K. When I was 10 I already had every thing apart that I could get my hands on and then some. By 11 I learned people would pay for my efforts and yes I earned more than the paper route. In your particular case likely the crankcase needs to be checked for bad seals or bearings. After that the carburetor will respond to minor or major adjustments. I started with two strokes because they ran motorcycles which I thought were fun. Most of my jobs took two or three times longer than they should have because I took each part apart several times until I understood. The parents in this case will have to get into the learning curve with the kid or they will miss out on a life time opportunity. Thanks

Check all simple items first, pinched fuel line, bad fuel line, fuel tank vent, fuel filter new, plugged muffler screen.
Exactly what I was thinking....check the simple things first. What would allow a saw to run for a minute or so then just die? Well a faulty fuel tank vent would do that as its not letting air into the tank. Wowzers this is a cool kid building saws at that age.

This young fellow reminds me so much of myself learning at an early age about machines, too bad we didn`t have internet back then. My best teacher back then was try something and either success or failure taught one what worked or not, don`t let failure deter you, learn from mistakes and keep trying, success is always one or so steps away. Sites like this one are a great resource for the young budding mechanic, keep up the good work and soon there will be bigger projects to be worked over.

This young fellow reminds me so much of myself learning at an early age about machines, too bad we didn`t have internet back then. My best teacher back then was try something and either success or failure taught one what worked or not, don`t let failure deter you, learn from mistakes and keep trying, success is always one or so steps away. Sites like this one are a great resource for the young budding mechanic, keep up the good work and soon there will be bigger projects to be worked over.
The internet made my old tech books almost obsolete, almost! I still have tech books for all of my vehicles and my old 50 horse Merc, pull them out every so often just because they really have the best info! My old Triumph book is so worn out that the pages are falling out, but I still have every page in order!

Latest posts

Back