Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well my hand got between 2 red fir rounds that were having a disagreement last weekend View attachment 764124wedding ring not quite round anymore View attachment 764125Skin died and came off where red spot was. Prolly would have been fine if it was spruce:yes:
Firewood lesson for the day-cut spruce it’s safer:)
That’s all I got..
Oh, and it’s been unusually wet here this year too.
mines about square as i am after 38 years of wear an tear!! lol even a few scratch's for good memories ? lol

Well my hand got between 2 red fir rounds that were having a disagreement last weekend View attachment 764124wedding ring not quite round anymore View attachment 764125Skin died and came off where red spot was. Prolly would have been fine if it was spruce:yes:
Firewood lesson for the day-cut spruce it’s safer:)
That’s all I got..
Oh, and it’s been unusually wet here this year too.
Yikes.

G'day troops, I'm back from a week of mucking around on my parents' 32ft bay cruiser. Did a bit of fishing but didn't really go hard - they're not really into fishing (although they do like to eat the results) so didn't want to wear out our welcome. Did land a nice snapper and trevally and several smaller snappers and other things (and weirder things) so we had something to eat.

Bombed out on the mackerel, need to go back and re-think things perhaps. Or maybe it's just the stupid fishes fault.

Resized_20191004_173615.jpeg

Resized_20191004_073904.jpeg

Looking forward to running a saw again, I can feel my testicles shrinking already.

I'm still in wood drought. It's been tough getting much from my usual source and despite a neighbour having a decent sized Oak down and giving it to me I'm probably 1/3-1/2 cord down on this time last year. The stacks are at about 2 years supply, just. So no disaster but I really wish I had a pile of wood to take the axe too. House has subsidence and insurers being utter ****s so I'm stressed. Splitting is good for the soul, and that is what I need right now.

Temps have dropped and I'm running one stove for a few hours most evenings now, the season of fetching wood into the house has begun.

House has subsidence and insurers being utter ****s so I'm stressed.
Our place is on a granite block floating foundation. Cellar ends in the middle of the kitchen floor. Its settled so there is a bit of a fun house feel to the place.

Neighbor just put a full basement under his for the win. Well into 90k but its pretty much 100% up to code new roof and siding ECT...

I'm Stihl looking for my F250 key's I "misplaced". 10 years later!!! I took my wife to the dentist and brought her home and thought I put them in the cupboard by the door as usual . Gone the next time I went for them. Now when I can't find something I blame it on a thief and it was the only thing they stole.:dumb:
I bought a big mirror for a restored Oak buffet. It was Sunday, and the guy said he'd be at the shop till noon, he was washing his truck. I got half way there and realized I forgot my wallet. I knew I could never make it home and back in time, so I swung by Dad's house and asked if I could borrow 50 bucks. He said sure, but all he had was a $100 bill in his secret stash, and I had to give him a $100 back. When ever customers paid with $100 bills he would stash them away for vacation or to buy mom stuff. He went in his office and pulled out a filing cabinet drawer, and started yelling, "We've been robbed". I looked around and said, "Dad there's a brand new 35mm camera and a new video cam on top of the files, no thief could find your stash and leave that stuff"? He started yelling, "Hey Hon, have you seen my Birthday cards?" "What cards?" "We''ll, the old one my sister gave me years ago". "Oh, I cleaned out the cabinet and threw all that old stuff away". He had 14, $100 dollar bills in that card. So much for keeping secrets from your wife!

On more...had my wallet in my rucksack with two hundreds and my fishing licenses. We were walking into a little lake to go fishing. GF (now wife) was carrying the rucksack sideways by one strap. I told her "carry that damn thing right, on your back with both straps". She didn't, wallet gone. Went back later and no wallet anywhere in the trail and other people had used the community boat. Knock on wood, the only wallet I have ever lost.

This weather sucks. Of course it is beautiful today but I will be at work till dark.

Cloudy tomorrow and Wednesday. The snow has been pushed back so now we have rain Thursday and Friday followed by snow every day Saturday through Monday.

Guess I am glad I am closing up shop on wood gathering for the rest of the year.

Many years ago, when I used to commute on Metro North from Brewster to NYC, I searched for my wallet when I got to Grand Central to get a subway token (yea, we used to use them).

No wallet … panicked that I left it home, I asked the Conductor if I could borrow subway fare from him (I was a regular, so he loaned it to me).

Then I got home, and my wallet was not there. For some reason, I refused to report everything lost and apply for new stuff (Licenses, credit cards, etc), and I just used money I borrowed from my wife.

About a week later I got on the same train, tried to remember about how many cars back I was, and what seat I was in. They had 3 different color seats, Red, Brown + Black, and I knew I was in a Black seat, on the left, almost half way back. I got in the seat and found my wallet, with everything in it, tucked between the seat and the side.

I informed the Conductor that I found it, and he just shook his head in disbelief! He said that they have hundreds of cars, they are unhooked and re hooked every night, in no particular order. That I got lucky enough to find the same car in the same place was beyond any probable odds. I guess it was just a good bit of luck that I found it, I was not even sure that I was in the right car, or the right seat!

That was the one and only time I lost my wallet, and I don't intend to let it happen again … it was scary!

My wife lost hers last year while grocery shopping, and had to re apply for everything … what a PITA!!!

Scrounged me up a future wood worker. All 6 pounds of him. Can’t wait to get him out in the woods!
1f7fb068e38d24eddb9adafd8d614769.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back