Tree ID again.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys. Looks like Chestnut oak is the one. The acorns looked exactly like the pics I googled, as well as the leaf clusters.

This tree is tangled in with a honeylocust I'll be taking down. Ugh. Thorns and everything. Even poison ivy.

I actually tackled this tree a few years ago. (See thread here: https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/tree-from-hell.309065/ )
I forgot to go back and deal with it, like I promised.
Well, now I'm going back to take down the whole thing. A new P.I. vine grew up there. Doesn't look too bad, though. But you can bet your tushy that I'm going to be careful anyway. Will post pics when I get around to it.
I'll need to rent a lift for this one.

Definitive answer can be decided by displaying the Acorn. Acorns are the best and most definite way to determine species of Oak.
Chestnut and Chinkapin share some native lands but not lots.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Bark looks wrong for Chestnut Oak. I’m going with Chinapin Oak.

Came here to say the exact same thing, Chestnut Oak bark is unmistakable.

Example:
Chestnut_Oak_Bark.jpg

d3864b914aeb39cc16846282da4440f8.jpg

Definitive answer can be decided by displaying the Acorn. Acorns are the best and most definite way to determine species of Oak.
Chestnut and Chinkapin share some native lands but not lots.

Chestnut oak
upload_2019-10-6_19-39-28.jpeg

Chinkapin oak
upload_2019-10-6_19-40-35.jpeg

They look pretty similar. But the bark pics that Multifacated posted look more like Chinkapin is the one.

Chestnut Oak
Fruit is large, usually over an inch in length. They have a thin, star-shaped cap that encloses the acorn 1/3 of its length. Caps have fused, somewhat warty scales.

Chinkapin Oak
Chinkapin acorns are the sweetest of our native oaks. They are small, only 1/2 inch long, with a thin, bowl-shaped cap. The cap is warty and covers the nut nearly halfway. Ripe fruit turns nearly black.

During dendrology class in college we used acorns and bark to identify oaks. Acorns are like fingerprints once you learn them. Bark changes somewhat even amongst same species depending on environmental factors. Acorns do not so much.

Back