372 xp rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to AS. I'd say if you're going OEM then go 50mm. If you're going aftermarket then go 52mm. If you're feeling a little adventurous use a 52mm w/ an 064 piston. Even more frisky would be a 52mm BB cylinder with a turned down/popup 272 piston.

Welcome to AS. I'd say if you're going OEM then go 50mm. If you're going aftermarket then go 52mm. If you're feeling a little adventurous use a 52mm w/ an 064 piston. Even more frisky would be a 52mm BB cylinder with a turned down/popup 272 piston.
52mm with 064 piston? Can u elaborate ??? Interest caught

I scored the cylinder on my 372 XP while cutting up a large oak tree for my portable sawmill and was wondering should i go back with the 50 mm rebuild kit or go with the 52 mm rebuild kit?
I’d be careful to at least match OEM. It looks like they made 2-3 versions of piston on these depending on if they are x torn or not. They may not have the cutouts in the side if you get the wrong piston/cylinder.

50mm oem. Can buy a complete top end off eBay for $112 shipped. Toss in a 268 pop up piston for a good bump in power or send me the whole saw and I’ll work it over ;)

It is not an X torque. I bought this saw new in 2000-2001. I would like to beef it up some seeing I've put a 32 inch bar on it now due to the size of trees i'm cutting now, We had 80 mph strait line winds come through earlier this year and a lot of huge oaks and and other hardwoods got blown over .Yotaismygame what would be an average price to get one worked over? I'm Old school and new to this posting stuff.

Or larger. 395
I agree, just trying to keep it on the same budget. If it's in good shape someone would give him ~$200 for it as a builder. Add the $500 to that he'd be charged to ship, re-build, and port it and you're pretty much at the price for that 390. Then you have a brand new, all OEM saw that will happily pull and oil 32".

I agree, just trying to keep it on the same budget. If it's in good shape someone would give him ~$200 for it as a builder. Add the $500 to that he'd be charged to ship, re-build, and port it and you're pretty much at the price for that 390. Then you have a brand new, all OEM saw that will happily pull and oil 32".
Agree buy a bigger displacement saw. Putting a 51.4mm p/c on a 372 without porting, no gains there over stock 50mm.

I have 372 with 268 pop up. Apparently there's a 372 pop up piston as well now you can get. Haven't run more than a 24" bar but it rips.

I have 372 with 268 pop up. Apparently there's a 372 pop up piston as well now you can get. Haven't run more than a 24" bar but it rips.

372 pop up won’t net the gains a 268 piston swap will. It’s more than just a compression increase.

Agree buy a bigger displacement saw. Putting a 51.4mm p/c on a 372 without porting, no gains there over stock 50mm.

I disagree. Definitely a torque increase. It may not spin any faster, but there is a noticeable increase in pull at lower rpm. While I agree that cutting cookies with half the bar and you'll see negligent gains.
Get that bar buried in some gnarled and knotty hardwood and you'll absolutely feel a difference. You said it yourself, bigger displacement... Even a few cc can make a difference.
Bigger piston=more rotating mass=harder to slow down under load=torque.
Definitely not knocking the 50mm 372xp. It's legendary status is definitely deserved.
It depends upon how often the 32" bar is used. I have a 36" for my 75cc 2065 that I rarely use (twice total). It usually wears a 20" or 24". That's the northeast coast. Not as bad as the 660s and 395s with a 16" or 18"that I've seen in the winter. Get into some frozen ash or maple at -10 degrees Fahrenheit.... That long bar is a joke. After 2 cuts your dull and blowing dust, just trying to burn through the wood.
But, the OP was milling. For that, I'd definitely recommend a bigger saw.

I disagree. Definitely a torque increase. It may not spin any faster, but there is a noticeable increase in pull at lower rpm. While I agree that cutting cookies with half the bar and you'll see negligent gains.
Get that bar buried in some gnarled and knotty hardwood and you'll absolutely feel a difference. You said it yourself, bigger displacement... Even a few cc can make a difference.
Bigger piston=more rotating mass=harder to slow down under load=torque.
Definitely not knocking the 50mm 372xp. It's legendary status is definitely deserved.
It depends upon how often the 32" bar is used. I have a 36" for my 75cc 2065 that I rarely use (twice total). It usually wears a 20" or 24". That's the northeast coast. Not as bad as the 660s and 395s with a 16" or 18"that I've seen in the winter. Get into some frozen ash or maple at -10 degrees Fahrenheit.... That long bar is a joke. After 2 cuts your dull and blowing dust, just trying to burn through the wood.
I have owned and built several of each and will still disagree, unless ported. But, if it works for you, great. You spin that same cranks rotating mass faster and you will increase your torque.

I have owned and built several of each and will still disagree, unless ported. But, if it works for you, great. You spin that same cranks rotating mass faster and you will increase your torque.

To me it's where the torque is in the powerband that counts. I know of a lot of crews in New England and New York that prefer Stihl saws because of thier "torque" in hardwoods, yet on a dyno the comparable Huskies actually make more.
I know that the stroke, dwell time, port timing and even of the number of rings can easily make up for a few cc.
That's irrelevant to this post. Run what you want!
Either way.. Get it ported!
Cheers!

Latest posts

Back