Husqvarna 340 Cylinder sealant..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AuerX

constantly confused
Reaction score
Finally getting around to replacing the plastic clamp on the intake of my 340, so cylinder is coming out.

Straight forward job (man where the cylinder bolts loose tho...) but when researching sealant types for this I saw a youtube video where the man was slathering sealant everywhere...including on top of the rubber coated bearings.

My saw shows no signs of sealant at all on the bearings, Just a small amount of white sealant on the metal surfaces and corresponding plastic ones.

So..what gives? Sealant on the bearings?

TIA!

Here's a happy 340 in the woods pic:

IMG_20190908_122441_033.jpg

MattyO (sp?) 350 vid.

Good looking saw. Don't know how you can resist putting a 346 cyl on it.

Thanks man, I had it since new. 18 years maybe?
It's certainly crossed my mind many times to go 346 or possibly bigger, but for some reason or other it has never left me disappointed as is.
I might still do it one winter when I'm bored enough. But it seems a little much to throw $100+ on a Saw that basically has no issues.

I don't think you have to, the last one I did I put a little sealant on them just for insurance and the one I did before that one I didn't. Both passed a vac test. Nice looking saw.

Thanks! I might go with a super thin wipe of sealant over the bearings.

It's certainly crossed my mind many times to go 346 or possibly bigger, but for some reason or other it has never left me disappointed as is.

Same here with a 350. I did a bunch of research on switching cylinders but never pulled the trigger. That's why it was easy to find that vid.

Are you gonna put a new ring in while you have it apart?

Same here with a 350. I did a bunch of research on switching cylinders but never pulled the trigger. That's why it was easy to find that vid.

Are you gonna put a new ring in while you have it apart?

Nah, it's a very low hour saw. Even tho it's old, I used it mostly for smallish jobs around here.
As I'm taking on some clearing projects on my property that will most likely change tho, but I have other saws as well.

It's a lovely slim lightweight with good power. Well designed IMHO.

Found this picture:

8d979b73-5ceb-41da-932c-0cb682d0ef2c-jpeg.631646

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/husqvarna-340-mod-or-sell.317448/

Nah, it's a very low hour saw. Even tho it's old, I used it mostly for smallish jobs around here.
As I'm taking on some clearing projects on my property that will most likely change tho, but I have other saws as well.

It's a lovely slim lightweight with good power. Well designed IMHO.
If you ever ran your 340 or 350 with a OEM 346 cylinder, you’d be asking yourself why they didn’t do it from the factory! It’s like having a light saber in your hands, just sounds angry at the wood! If it’s working, I say don’t fix it, but in this case, it’s worth it!

Found this picture:

Nice even light sealant application looks good. 340, 345 and 350 use the same case.

If you ever ran your 340 or 350 with a OEM 346 cylinder, you’d be asking yourself why they didn’t do it from the factory! It’s like having a light saber in your hands, just sounds angry at the wood! If it’s working, I say don’t fix it, but in this case, it’s worth it!

That was the plan, especially if my first porting job went awry. With the 353 flat top, porting, ..., it just runs too strong to mess with. I opted to build a 357 instead.

In my case it's a low hour saw that just needed the intake clamp fix, if anything i might open up the muffler a bit.

Maybe later in the winter months I'll rethink things, when I got nothing better to do :)

In my case it's a low hour saw that just needed the intake clamp fix, if anything i might open up the muffler a bit.

Maybe later in the winter months I'll rethink things, when I got nothing better to do :)
The 340 requires you to remove the cylinder to replace that clamp, at least spent the extra $12 for Caber rings, just makes sense.

Done, clamp came today and saw is up and running.
Time will tell how my motoseal sealant holds up, I found it easier to just apply on the cylinder rather than the base so went with that /shrug

Pretty easy job, Should I ever feel like doing a 346 conversion or w/e it shouldn't take too long.

20191010_150152_HDR.jpg

Back