firewood tractors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good job Robb, will that make enough fire wood for a season?

I have some I need to get that was taken down by a tree service at my mother in laws house. One was a huge popple nearly 40 inches in dia. hit by lighting 4 years ago and cracked more every year in the wind.

:D Al

SR, enjoyed the pictures. Especially like the part where you got help putting that tree down. I am guessing but I would bet outside loggers and other professionals you probably have as much or more falling experience than most on this forum. Glad to see someone who isn’t too proud (or ignorant) to seek help.

Ron
Thanks guys, I'm cutting this for 20/21 heating season, as the oak will never be dry enough for the 19/20 season.

I'm not sure if there's enough for the whole season, IF I only heat with wood, but I switched propane suppliers and am getting propane much cheaper now. I plan to use both, propane and wood, at least until propane once again goes waaay up in price.

Ron, my arborist friend is a kind of a Stihl guy, I think the only reason he came over is so he can spend a day using "better" saws, as we used my saws all day,
orig.gif

standard.jpg

SR

Hey Rob, I’m seriously looking at the Woodland Mills stump grinder. I like other brands swinging side to side setup, but the Woodland Mills units price point is all I really want to spend. How is yours working out. I also really like their chipper and multi lander logging trailer

Took my new firewood tractor (2003 JD 4710) on a shakedown run today though I am not quite finished with it. It did all I asked it to do but while on the two mile road trip it developed a loose connection somewhere in the momentary switch circuit I wired into the factory diverter valve circuit to operate the grapple. Have to pull a rear wheel and fender to get at it. Hopefully I will get to it before the season starts in two weeks.

Old Firewooder (1999 JD 4400) with long boom attached.
IMG_4204.JPG

IMG_3888.JPG

IMG_3892.JPG

New Firewooder with short boom attached.
IMG_4637.JPG

IMG_4639.JPG

Side by comparison.
IMG_4643.JPG

Ron

These are the studs. Sanon tire snow spikes stud screws 100 pcs 12 mm from amazon I think they were 18 bucks for a 100. Used about 250 for both fronts. Takes a 4.5 mm socket which I had.IMG_20200101_125021304.jpg IMG_20200101_125021304.jpg IMG_20200101_125038565.jpgThere are some much better ones for more money but I wanted to see how they worked. Seem to help I did not do any 180s last couple times plowing the driveway.

Time for some firewood tractors...

I've been splitting a load of oak I brought home,

standard.jpg

Some of the rounds are heavier than I want to lift, so out comes a plank to easily roll them right up onto the splitters beam,

standard.jpg

and get pushed once or twice, through the 4-way wedge,

standard.jpg

and then the splits get stacked into drying boxes,

standard.jpg

that get moved away with a my tractor,

standard.jpg

Once dry, I'm going to have some nice firewood!

SR

Latest posts

Back