Drop Start, no, yes, when, never.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wow

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
So at 72 Ive had to learn how to pull a start rope with a bad shoulder. After both shoulders were damaged from a fall the choice to never work again sounded like a death sentence. Sitting inside for the remainder of my like would be like life in solidarity. After some healing some Physical therapy and a determined mind I can use my saws. Even my 60cc. Starting with a damaged shoulder taught me to Always place my elbow against my body and use my bicep. Just pull up. That long pull with the elbow going past my body loads the shoulder joint. That means every start has to be the (not recommended) drop. I may catch hell for this post but I'm curious to see if anyone else has a problem with pulling the crank rope and how they are solving it.
Getting a toe in the opening in the saw handle isn't easy because that opening seems small to me. Seems like the drop is about my only option. Good day.

Depends on the saw. Small saw/dropstart, big saw(60+cc)/on the ground, comp release. I will have to try your bicep pull method. I've had both shoulders (rotator cuffs) fixed and can do pretty much what I want but know to use caution. Two years ago I put an electric start engine on my splitter.

So "drop-start" I think means when you hold the rear handle in one hand (right, for us right-handed folk) and drop the saw while pulling the starter rope with the left hand. I do it on rare occasions when the saw is flooded and I need my right index finger to hold the throttle wide open. But then usually I rest the end of the bar on a log. It's awkward regardless. It's not a good practice.

For forty-some years I've been starting saws (every one, every time) ass backwards. I hold the top handle bar in my right hand at gut level and drop it, while pulling the starter rope up in my left hand, the bar pointing off to my right. It's an old habit that I like for the way I'm built, I guess.

I've tried the rear handle bar in my crotch thing. Doesn't work for me.

I used to start my biggest saw on the ground with my right boot steadied inside the rear handle--recommended for beginners or unfit people. But now even my biggest saw--Dolmar 7900--I start the same as the others. Less bending over and fussing with boot position. And I do not use the compression release. (I might if it was a 90--100 CCs.)

My method is ass backwards because once the saw starts I have to switch hands--grab the main handle with my left, and transfer my right hand to the rear handle. But it works for me.

So "drop-start" I think means when you hold the rear handle in one hand (right, for us right-handed folk) and drop the saw while pulling the starter rope with the left hand. I do it on rare occasions when the saw is flooded and I need my right index finger to hold the throttle wide open. But then usually I rest the end of the bar on a log. It's awkward regardless. It's not a good practice.

For forty-some years I've been starting saws (every one, every time) ass backwards. I hold the top handle bar in my right hand at gut level and drop it, while pulling the starter rope up in my left hand, the bar pointing off to my right. It's an old habit that I like for the way I'm built, I guess.

I used to start my biggest saw on the ground with my right boot steadied inside the rear handle--recommended for beginners or unfit people. But now even my biggest saw--Dolmar 7900--I start the same as the others. Less bending over and fussing with boot position. And I do not use the compression release. (I might if it was a 90--100 CCs.)

My method is ass backwards because once the saw starts I have to switch hands--grab the main handle with my left, and transfer my right hand to the rear handle. But it works for me.
Well, I've perfected my method. I hold the Top handle. Afraid to let the bar swing downward. Can't hardly get a steel toe boot in the rear handle. On my Echo cs590 I DO use the decompression button. By having a good balanced saw it feels better to me holding the top handle in my Right hand pulling the rope with my left. Good day

For forty-some years I've been starting saws (every one, every time) ass backwards. I hold the top handle bar in my right hand at gut level and drop it, while pulling the starter rope up in my left hand, the bar pointing off to my right. It's an old habit that I like for the way I'm built,

I do this this with the opposite hands, bar pointed to left.

I'll drop start with rear handle if I need max throttle with no choke. Like if I flood it, or it has initial carb settings.

'Liberals' -- nature's most violent

I was making sure one of my sons was around to start the saw for me. But now I Hardley cut anymore they do it.

Like so many other things, until you decide there is a safer way, you will always think that it is OK to do things that are proven unsafe.

You don't need to get a whole boot in the rear handle to start a saw on the ground...just a little toe to hold it still.

Can you get on both knees and hold the rear handle between your knees and pull it?

I don't get enough speed for my 70 or 90 cc saws, even with decomp pushed, if they are on ground. Bar on log push down with one hand pull rope with other. Bar doesn't flay around and once warmed up they're killed til the mill is on the guide ready to start slabbing.
Play safe Ya'll

"Drop starting" or "Yo-yo" starting is great for people who maintain their saws and don't need to give it a squeeze to get it going. If you are flooded, hot or have other understandable issues the right hand on the trigger and left on the rope works but I rarely do this... seems to be an old skool preference to me...?

Been running a saw in the winter/deep snow for close to 50 years and drop start is all I got.
Yep, my big steel toe boots won't hold the rear handle so ground starts are not safe. Someone once said it will hold the saw even if only part goes in. To do that would be dangerous. If that saw slipped out. A saw needs to be under control all time and especially during starts. In the End, each operator has to decide for himself what is best for his needs. I NEVER condemn anyone but I have worked hard to teach safety first convenience last. Have a great day.

Buy one of those easy-start Stihl's, they crack me up.:laughing:
Dolmar has some too. I think they are great, imagine having to start the smaller saws in a tree on a normal basis( I know your already out because you're not getting in a tree, but just try :p), why would you want to have to work hard at it. Then you have guys like the OP with bad joints, and other guys who don't want to have bad joints ;).

OP, you gotta do what you gotta do.
I start them many different ways, doesn't bother me if others like it or not. I do listen as I want to learn, but most just want to criticize and have no answers.

Dolmar has some too. I think they are great, imagine having to start the smaller saws in a tree on a normal basis( I know your already out because you're not getting in a tree, but just try :p), why would you want to have to work hard at it. Then you have guys like the OP with bad joints, and other guys who don't want to have bad joints ;).

OP, you gotta do what you gotta do.
I start them many different ways, doesn't bother me if others like it or not. I do listen as I want to learn, but most just want to criticize and have no answers.

Thanks, I try to keep a positive attitude. I don't take it personal. At my age nothing worth getting upset about. I'll be lucky if I can still run my saws in another 10 years. I see all these real old folks and I don't see how they can enjoy life if they just sit. I'd rather be dead. I've stopped taking unnessary chances because there's always a chance of falling and being crippled up. Being a nature guy I've noticed old Animals die when they get to old to live a full life. The older I get the more I realize death isn't anything to fear but being bed ridden or paralyzed for years is. I'm hoping to keep moving right up till I go. I enjoy working and want to keep going till my batteries run down. Like that Energizer Bunny. Then let me go into the next world bravely. It's going to be fun there too. I've told my family no big cry baby funeral just cremate me and get on with their lives. I hope my Grandsons will take care of the good wisdom and good equipment I'll be leaving for them. Anyone over 70 needs to be aware that we are at the bus stop and we should enjoy what time we still have left. The young guys will mature and become less critical and more understanding. The older guys should realize young guys will be like we once were. I just take all comments with a smile. Have a great day.

I’m a lefty, always drop start and go, no need to switch hands!

Latest posts

Back