Echo cs352 chain catch weakness, will break

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wow

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have three and once had four different Echo Chainsaws. I liked all of them BUT I found a problem. My opinion is there is this one weakness with the cs352 that Should be corrected.
I'm good at plastic welding, even built my own tools and on my saw I fixed this weakness after the chain catcher broke. BUT not everyone is able to do it. It's the job of the manufacturer. Im trying to get a message to someone who will listen. Included is a photo of a new clutch cover with a piece of grass for comparison. It's easy to see how thin the Gussets are that are connecting the plastic piece ( the chain catcher) sticking up. That's the part that snaps off very easily if a chain comes off. In one photo there is a credit card for comparison. Looking at the top of it you can see the plastic gussets are near the same thickness. The cs352 is a sweet saw with this one Flaw. It would be easy to double the thickness of the gussets at the moulding plant. My micrometer said it's barely over 1mn and about the thickness of 2 my credit cards. [ATTACIMG_20190909_162759.jpg IMG_20190909_164554_049.jpg

Definitely a liability within design , keeps the part suppliers in business !
Some guy, probably a dealer keeps attacking me about this. My guess is the dealers aren't telling the factory. Covering up problems don't help anyone. After I hot welded and beefed mine up the saw works great. To fix this all its needs is just a little change in the mould and a few drops more plastic. A saw that could be 5 stars gets a 3 simply because of this very simple fix they are ignoring.

Back