Stihl 034 won't start & needs top end kit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While the 034 was in production, there were actually three different muffler parts being made:
1125 149 0607
1125 140 9696
1125 007 1034

That tended to drive parts suppliers crazy. I ran into this same problem while upgrading mine to an 036:
Stihl 034 AV Super Muffler.png

Does your saw have the heat shield (cooling plate)? That plus the gasket should seal it. If not, you may have an aftermarket fit problem. Should be easily fixable with a spacer.

It doesn’t have the cooling plate. I made my own spacer out of some thin sheet stock I had laying around yesterday and fit it up without the gasket....it’s much closer now. Hoping a gasket on each side of the spacer will make up the difference. If not I’ll make another one and weld them together to make one thicker spacer.

Looks like the AM muffler is simply shorter than the factory one, so the mounting ears on the bottom hit before it fully reaches the jug.

While the 034 was in production, there were actually three different muffler parts being made:
1125 149 0607
1125 140 9696
1125 007 1034

That tended to drive parts suppliers crazy. I ran into this same problem while upgrading mine to an 036:
View attachment 764402

Agreed! Looking at that picture the one on the right is slightly longer and I’m guessing fit up better. That’s about what the difference between my factory and AM look like.

Agreed! Looking at that picture the one on the right is slightly longer and I’m guessing fit up better. That’s about what the difference between my factory and AM look like.
Exactly. The one on the right was the OEM muffler, and the one on the left was supplied in error. I gave up working with that one, sent it back, and the supplier then dug up the right part and exchanged. I used that upgraded saw this morning. It cuts fine, almost dead even with my MS361.

Well hopefully she’s done! The copper washer truck didn’t end up working like I thought it did. Called HLsupply and sending the hyway cylinder back and put in a meteor kit.

I believe that jug is defective since three different plugs and different washers wouldn’t seal. Meteor seals no issues.

No leaks now and everything seems good. The homemade spacer and gaskets seem to seal as well for the muffler.

Got it tuned about as good as I can with a tach on the bench. Will do final tunes after I get it in the woods this weekend!

thanks to everyone who’s helped!!!!

Well hopefully she’s done! The copper washer truck didn’t end up working like I thought it did. Called HLsupply and sending the hyway cylinder back and put in a meteor kit.

I believe that jug is defective since three different plugs and different washers wouldn’t seal. Meteor seals no issues.

No leaks now and everything seems good. The homemade spacer and gaskets seem to seal as well for the muffler.

Got it tuned about as good as I can with a tach on the bench. Will do final tunes after I get it in the woods this weekend!

thanks to everyone who’s helped!!!!
Let's also see a Pic or two. This is the first time I've ever heard of their HyWay kit failing, one way or the other. Believe me, they have sold hundreds (thousands?) of them for dozens of saws.

DFF8A759-6E00-4E1A-BD36-3393AFDD2BAD.jpeg A8DB8C22-8913-4FE4-AF12-0DF6212F9213.jpeg EC177883-6A50-433F-9308-695BE4D184A0.jpeg D0675FE2-3A51-4E78-A028-F358DE888AE3.jpeg 819E9208-6A45-43CF-93C9-3CC80B8924C7.jpeg 632D265E-ECAA-49ED-8FC0-7D195DE29294.jpeg
Let's also see a Pic or two. This is the first time I've ever heard of their HyWay kit failing, one way or the other. Believe me, they have sold hundreds (thousands?) of them for dozens of saws.

Here’s a couple of pictures of the hyway cylinder. Hard to tell but there looks to be an indentation on the right hand side of it.

other pictures are of the completed saw. Still shows age. If it were mine I’d paint it all up like new but I’ve done enough to it for my buddy already. Haha!

View attachment 764490 View attachment 764491

Back