Drop Start, no, yes, when, never.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on how it’s done, been drop starting for longer than most on here have been alive, never once been injured by a running saw. Only cuts I’ve received have been during sharpening.

Yep, I've never so much as nicked a boot with a running saw--a moving chain has never touched me in almost 50 yrs of cutting. However, have drawn plenty of blood in small cuts when sharpening. Every damn time I say, next time use gloves. But how ya gonna handle that file with gloves on?

Most time I glove one hand also cover some teeth with doubled shop clothes. What helps me is I have a jig that I designed and built. By removing the bar and and placing it on my jig I can get to it better.

This is a photo.
The chain and bar mounted. For some reason several of the photos double posted. View attachment 764654 View attachment 764657
I fixed it. Notice the clutch is attached to a turnbuckle. Bolt the bar on teeth facing the direction you choose. Backwards makes it easy for me. It's like the saw is upside down. With the motor removed there is plenty of room. I clamp this and change Chainsaws and bars as I work. Good luck.

Details about this jig? Sounds like it could be helpful.
I read your post first, I thought he was doing a jig to drop start his saw :laugh:.

Speaking of drop starting, I did it a bunch today with a ported 70cc saw, it worked fine :).
I don't drop start them as many of you are speaking. I normally hold the top handle in my left hand and then pull the recoil with my right. I will do it the opposite sometimes, just not as often.

I read your post first, I thought he was doing a jig to drop start his saw :laugh:.

Speaking of drop starting, I did it a bunch today with a ported 70cc saw, it worked fine :).
I don't drop start them as many of you are speaking. I normally hold the top handle in my left hand and then pull the recoil with my right. I will do it the opposite sometimes, just not as often.
Sorry, yes, I can see how my post could be confusing.
I was actually conversing with someone about cuts on hands from chains during hand filing.
Have a great day.

Sorry, yes, I can see how my post could be confusing.
I was actually conversing with someone about cuts on hands from chains during hand filing.
Have a great day.
Once I read your post I got it, but I started with the other guys post asking to see the jig, I thought for sure it was all a joke.
Looks like your jig works well.
I ground a 24" chain today, it was a brand new exl chain, I ran it on a job and flush cut a nasty stump with it. Needless to say it took more than once around and the rakers needed quite a bit taken off when I was done with it and it still has some chrome missing on a few teeth, I'll get those the next time around.

Now that I have used my 661 for large firewood I can see that foot in handle works better. When on an Alaskan mill I'll keep dropping the ph end while mill is resting on log. 2 each their own.

Now that I have used my 661 for large firewood I can see that foot in handle works better. When on an Alaskan mill I'll keep dropping the ph end while mill is resting on log. 2 each their own.
I wish my big steel toe boot would go into the handle of my Echo saws. I'm not gonna wear non steel toe boots or remove my boot. They keep making these handles tighter. I'm thinking maybe my boot goes into my Sthil, can't remember. Next time I use the 029 I'll check. Mostly all I run is Echo now days. cs352, cs490, cs590. I don't think about it. Just start and go. I did however notice the cs352 and cs490 echos won't fit my boot.

I realize that some saw handles are different, but using my right heel on the handle or knee on top of the saw and my left hand on the top handle has worked well with every make of saw I've used. It keeps my right arm tucked in tight when i pull the rope. ***it's not as awkward as the pictures make it look. Hard to take a picture in that position.

Side note, you don't have to pull start an electric saw. They are getting pretty competitive with power and battery life increasing all the time.

I apologize for picture size. I'm not tech savvy and my phone hates me.

Attachments

• 20191026_103507.jpg
    20191026_103507.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 15
  • 20191026_103519.jpg
    20191026_103519.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
I haven't read all the responses yet. But if I had to risk injury every time I started a saw, then I'd switch over to the biggest electric saw I could get.
We risk injury once we're out of bed. So many places for accident/hurtz before going out the front door if we pay any attention to statistics our Gov't showers on us

We risk injury once we're out of bed. So many places for accident/hurtz before going out the front door if we pay any attention to statistics our Gov't showers on us
I don't pay much attention to statistics. I do ride a bicycle for excercise and figure I'm far more likely to get injured on it than running a chainsaw. I'm too old to be crashing much anymore or I might be starting a thread like this on my own.
Never known anybody to cut themselves with a saw or injure themselves starting one. But I was clearing out a few trees with a guy once when I heard him yell and scream. He had tried to cut a tree without a back cut and it slipped off and broke his leg.
No doubt the danger is there more than making a cup of coffee if you're not paying attention all the time or can't read the banks.

People die in their beds. Falling trees is not uncommon.
I've dropped many dangerous trees and probably saved lives doing so.

Here in the Woods of North Louisiana trees grow tall and some big ones abound.

Power lines often have trees and tree limbs fall on them.

The power company spends large sums running machines to trim trees.

My thinking is Why Not Cut the whole damn tree and be done.

I think any tree tall enough to threaten power lines, highways, or buildings should be cut.

If its on the property line and threatens either house the home owner of the threatened house should be allowed to give notice to the other person and if the other person doesn't want the tree cut then they SHOULD be forced to pay for ALL damages to the neighbors property. If I were a law maker id try to pass such a law.

People die in their beds. Falling trees is not uncommon.
I've dropped many dangerous trees and probably saved lives doing so.

Here in the Woods of North Louisiana trees grow tall and some big ones abound.

Power lines often have trees and tree limbs fall on them.

The power company spends large sums running machines to trim trees.

My thinking is Why Not Cut the whole damn tree and be done.

I think any tree tall enough to threaten power lines, highways, or buildings should be cut.

If its on the property line and threatens either house the home owner of the threatened house should be allowed to give notice to the other person and if the other person doesn't want the tree cut then they SHOULD be forced to pay for ALL damages to the neighbors property. If I were a law maker id try to pass such a law.

I'm no Lawyer, but I do believe that in many States, if you notify a property owner of a Potentially Hazardous tree, and they do nothing, they can be liable for any damages it causes.

Doug :cheers:

I haven't read all the responses yet. But if I had to risk injury every time I started a saw, then I'd switch over to the biggest electric saw I could get.

From the way it has been described, I have "Drop Started" my saws, and never felt like I was risking injury drop or any other way of starting them, and I have been doing it for more than 40 years

From the way it has been described, I have "Drop Started" my saws, and never felt like I was risking injury drop or any other way of starting them, and I have been doing it for more than 40 years

With a difficult to start saw friend who is Right handed scares me how he does it BUT I'm not gonna attempt to teach him differently. He'd just get pissed.
He holds the Rear Handle in his Right hand and holds the throttle wide open. Pulls the rope with his left and balances the saw somehow in the process. That bar tip somehow misses the ground everytime. I stand way back and cross my fingers. As soon as the saw starts he lets it drop to idle while he's getting his hands set properly and gooses the gas as needed. This guy runs all kinds of equipment and has never been seriously injured. Honestly, I've thought about buying a huge life insurance policy on him but legally probably will not be allowed without his knowledge. If I mentioned it to him I'd need insurance on me.

With a difficult to start saw friend who is Right handed scares me how he does it BUT I'm not gonna attempt to teach him differently. He'd just get pissed.
He holds the Rear Handle in his Right hand and holds the throttle wide open. Pulls the rope with his left and balances the saw somehow in the process. That bar tip somehow misses the ground everytime. I stand way back and cross my fingers. As soon as the saw starts he lets it drop to idle while he's getting his hands set properly and gooses the gas as needed. This guy runs all kinds of equipment and has never been seriously injured. Honestly, I've thought about buying a huge life insurance policy on him but legally probably will not be allowed without his knowledge. If I mentioned it to him I'd need insurance on me.

It’s not that uncommon to watch a faller start them just like that, it’s a throwing motion that gets used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back