Battery operated saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

memory

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
We sell Christmas trees and been using either a electric or gas saw to trim the bottoms up. Now can't imagine the constant starting and stopping a gas saw is good for it. Thought about getting a battery operated saw, more specifically a DeWalt 20v version since we already have other 20v DeWalt tools. How well would a 20v saw do cutting 3-6 inch trees? Would just make 1 cut per tree plus a few branches.

While looking at dewalts, I noticed something odd, to me anyways. They come with a 3/8" chain. That seems like a lot of chain for just a 20v saw.

Just have 2-3 batteries ready. I’d think if the 20v circular saw and sawsall do well that should too. My brother kept a ryobi 18v on his wheeler for what ever fell in the woods and that did fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I talked to a climber 40' up in a huge tree yesterday when he ran out of fuel while using his Stihl MS201T. I said, "Cody, maybe you need an electric chain saw running on batteries."

He said, "Edwin, I need a good, powerful saw for this job. Forget the expensive toys."

He lowered the saw on a rope, I filled it with fuel and bar oil, sent it back up, and he kept going. The job got done.

We sell Christmas trees and been using either a electric or gas saw to trim the bottoms up. Now can't imagine the constant starting and stopping a gas saw is good for it. Thought about getting a battery operated saw, more specifically a DeWalt 20v version since we already have other 20v DeWalt tools. How well would a 20v saw do cutting 3-6 inch trees? Would just make 1 cut per tree plus a few branches.

While looking at dewalts, I noticed something odd, to me anyways. They come with a 3/8" chain. That seems like a lot of chain for just a 20v saw.
Probably 3/8lp

For your application I would go with something that plugs in to 120v. Not as convenient as a battery saw, but cold does shorten battery run time. Keep a cheap ** gas saw around in case you run out of extension cord for that 1 cut that you know will be needed.

** By cheap, I'm talking a Craftsman/Poulan saw from Lowe's or even Harbor Freight. Hell, it could even be a $30 eBay ChiCom Redmax clone. Something that you wouldn't be heart broken over should some self serving bell ringer decide that you want to donate the saw to him.

We sell Christmas trees . . . Thought about getting a battery operated saw . . . a DeWalt 20v version since we already have other 20v DeWalt tools. How well would a 20v saw do cutting 3-6 inch trees?.

There are a lot of good quality battery powered chainsaws out there now. Generally, I would recommend one that is 36V or higher. But since you already own a bunch of DeWalt 20V batteries, and since the batteries and charger can be half the price of a saw, it makes sense to start with that one.

Christmas trees are usually softwood (spruce, balsam fir, etc.) right? 3 - 6 inches of fresh softwood should be ideal for these saws (I have cut up to 18"). Basic rules: keep the chain sharp (or have some to swap out).

Just have 2-3 batteries ready.

Yeah, have a few batteries and a way to charge them. I have cut a lot of wood with one battery, but you don't want to run out at work.

I think that you will be very happy. But buy from a large retailer, and keep your receipt in case you are not.

Tell us how it works out?

Philbert

Should have mentioned we buy and resell trees and we cut them next to our tool garage so electric is not an issue, just a hassle dealing with a cord. Currently only have one 20v lithium battery. Been looking at a new DeWalt 20v set with 5.0ah batteries but not sure that will happen just quite yet. May buy a saw with a battery to have two batteries. Current DeWalt set is an older set with the nickel batteries that went bad.

Ty all for the help so far. I will let you know what I do and how it turns out. If the 20v works out good enough, may use it out in the field for limbing but do not have high hopes for that

If you are not heavily invested in that battery platform, then look around at the others (several threads).

If you are planning on pro use, look at the pro saws.

https://www.arboristsite.com/commun...or-power-equipment.177392/page-7#post-5110584

Philbert

I would like to stay with stay with same battery to help keep clutter and cost down but kind of worry about 20v being enough. . One issue with others like the stihl 36v is the price. Don't really want to spend a fortune.

If whatever I get does work good in the woods, that is a plus but the main use would be for the christmas trees. Would be nice to have a smaller saw for limbing, use a stihl 261cm with 18" bar and 441rcm with 25" bar. Will probably buy a 20v dewalt from a local store so I can easily return if needed.

Will probably buy a 20v dewalt from a local store so I can easily return if needed.
Was a a farm / fleet type store a few weeks back and they had some DeWalt battery chainsaws in a kit for an unbelievably low price (don't remember the exact $). But a guy was looking at the box and we started talking, and we had to call a sales guy over just to confirm the price - we were all surprised. Might have been a saw / leaf blower combo (?), or the 40V version (?), or something like that, I really don't remember. But worth it to do an Internet search too, if you have decided on that brand. Might be some 'Black Friday' sales too, if you can wait that long.

Philbert

Look at the amp hours of the batteries. Kits of multiple tools generally have small batteries. Home Depo.com for the Makita dual battery stuff generally has 10 listings for the tool charger and two batteries but one listing for the same price but with 4 batteries. Similar with ebay but not same sellers. Isn't a dewalt battery chainsaw the one that one guy that does carving went through 3 of them due to oiler failure and moved onto Husqvarna and then Stihl? Chainsaw with a number as his user name on here, totem pole for avatar.

Was a a farm / fleet type store a few weeks back and they had some DeWalt battery chainsaws in a kit for an unbelievably low price (don't remember the exact $). But a guy was looking at the box and we started talking, and we had to call a sales guy over just to confirm the price - we were all surprised. Might have been a saw / leaf blower combo (?), or the 40V version (?), or something like that, I really don't remember. But worth it to do an Internet search too, if you have decided on that brand. Might be some 'Black Friday' sales too, if you can wait that long.

Philbert

We have a Tractor supply and rural king close and will check them out. If I can get a higher voltage for fairly cheap, I will go that route.

Look at the amp hours of the batteries. Kits of multiple tools generally have small batteries. Home Depo.com for the Makita dual battery stuff generally has 10 listings for the tool charger and two batteries but one listing for the same price but with 4 batteries. Similar with ebay but not same sellers. Isn't a dewalt battery chainsaw the one that one guy that does carving went through 3 of them due to oiler failure and moved onto Husqvarna and then Stihl? Chainsaw with a number as his user name on here, totem pole for avatar.

The Dewalt 20v chainsaw comes with a 5.0ah battery. The dewalt tool set I am looking at comes with 2 5.0 ah batteries. Whatever I get, most likely it will not get used that much after selling trees is over for the season.

Both 18 volt and 20 volt lithium ion batteries have the same number of cells in series. Nominal voltage 3.6, peak voltage 4.0. With Makita at 5 amp hours there is two in parallel as well as the 5 in series.

If this is a place that gets trees by the truck load with twine around them and re sells it would seem trimming the small branches so it will fit in a normal tree holder with water in the bottom would seem more work than zipping off the bottom square. Whether your help might get hurt with a chainsaw might be something to consider. Since plug in and gasoline are already used might consider if variable speed would be safer. Some battery stuff is variable speed. It is more the cut your own in the field with the folks I associate with. It is what a lot of farming has become tree farm and haunted hay ride.

Both 18 volt and 20 volt lithium ion batteries have the same number of cells in series. Nominal voltage 3.6, peak voltage 4.0. With Makita at 5 amp hours there is two in parallel as well as the 5 in series.

If this is a place that gets trees by the truck load with twine around them and re sells it would seem trimming the small branches so it will fit in a normal tree holder with water in the bottom would seem more work than zipping off the bottom square. Whether your help might get hurt with a chainsaw might be something to consider. Since plug in and gasoline are already used might consider if variable speed would be safer. Some battery stuff is variable speed. It is more the cut your own in the field with the folks I associate with. It is what a lot of farming has become tree farm and haunted hay ride.

Yes that is what we do, we get them shipped in from another state. Usually it is just cutting off 3-4 branches. As for help getting hurt running a saw, 99% of the time it is either me or my dad/owner doing the cutting, been cutting wood nearly our whole lives. Electric is an option but is a hassle, taking a chance hitting the cord, tripping over the cord, etc... And just don't think it would be good for a gas saw with the constant starting and stopping and not being used for that long at a time.

Whatever I get, most likely it will not get used that much after selling trees is over for the season.
Keep an open mind!

I was quite skeptical (but polite) at first. Now I have chainsaws, polesaws, hedgetrimmers, leaf blowers, string trimmers, lawn mowers (and maybe a snow thrower on the way?).

I often reach for these over my corded or gasoline powered options due to convenience. And it's also why I stress the need to look at the whole 'battery platform' / 'family of tools' when choosing your first one (unless, as your first post suggested, that you were already heavily invested in a specific battery platform). It's OK. IMO. if your contractor type tools and your outdoor power equipment are on different platforms, because of the different power demands, but worth a try for incidental or limited use. Or, if you have already committed with a brand tattoo!

Philbert

Keep an open mind!

I was quite skeptical (but polite) at first. Now I have chainsaws, polesaws, hedgetrimmers, leaf blowers, string trimmers, lawn mowers (and maybe a snow thrower on the way?).

I often reach for these over my corded or gasoline powered options due to convenience. And it's also why I stress the need to look at the whole 'battery platform' / 'family of tools' when choosing your first one (unless, as your first post suggested, that you were already heavily invested in a specific battery platform). It's OK. IMO. if your contractor type tools and your outdoor power equipment are on different platforms, because of the different power demands, but worth a try for incidental or limited use. Or, if you have already committed with a brand tattoo!

Philbert

Outside of power tools like drills, circular saws, don't really have much experience with other battery operated stuff. Blowers and hedgetrimmers I can see them doing a good job. But stuff like chainsaws, weedeaters, I am a little skeptical and especially with a lawnmower, I just can't see how that would do good at all. Although I guess they wouldn't be making and selling them if they didn't work.

I am sure I would like it and would use it more than I think I would. Am a little skeptical on the 20v version for a chainsaw. I would like to have a higher voltage saw whether it be a stihl or whatever but the price becomes an issue.

I get it 100%. I was skeptical but polite, when Oregon sent me the 40 V chainsaw to try. I was surprised and impressed: you can look up my comments (from 8 years ago !!!).

Lawnmowers? Are they nuts? But I have regularly mown my city lot for the last three years, on a single battery charge: the same batteries that run my chainsaws (!). And I have heard good things about the snowthrower's .

'Trust but verify' (keep your receipt).

The other thing I should mention for your use is about the bar and chain oil. Sort of obvious in hindsight, but internal combustion engines produce lots of heat, which helps to send out the viscosity of bar oil. Battery powered motors do not.

In cold weather I have had the best results by keeping my battery-powered chainsaw, and the jug of bar-and-chain oil, indoors over night, and thinning the oil about 25% with kerosene.

If you are working next to a heated shed, that should not be a problem to keep the battery charger plugged in and the bar oil warm. But I have cut below 20°F with these saws.

Philbert

I get it 100%. I was skeptical but polite, when Oregon sent me the 40 V chainsaw to try. I was surprised and impressed: you can look up my comments (from 8 years ago !!!).

Lawnmowers? Are they nuts? But I have regularly mown my city lot for the last three years, on a single battery charge: the same batteries that run my chainsaws (!). And I have heard good things about the snowthrower's .

'Trust but verify' (keep your receipt).

The other thing I should mention for your use is about the bar and chain oil. Sort of obvious in hindsight, but internal combustion engines produce lots of heat, which helps to send out the viscosity of bar oil. Battery powered motors do not.

In cold weather I have had the best results by keeping my battery-powered chainsaw, and the jug of bar-and-chain oil, indoors over night, and thinning the oil about 25% with kerosene.

If you are working next to a heated shed, that should not be a problem to keep the battery charger plugged in and the bar oil warm. But I have cut below 20°F with these saws.
are
Philbert

I can see lawnmowers working on a small city lot where houses are nearly touching each other, not sure how much you mow. I know battery technology keeps improving but imo, I think they have the technology to make them much better than they are currently but that is a whole nother topic.

On the bar oil, I realize that about the heat. Maybe better to use winter oil only? Keeping it in a heated building not too much of an issue and can always put the jug in a bucket of hot water.

Will probably end up buying a 20v dewalt from home depot for $200 that comes with 5.0ah battery and charger, they have them in stock, then I would have a 3.0ah and 5.0ah battery Waiting until black friday could be an option although we do start selling trees by then.

Latest posts

Back