Battery operated saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3Amps battery wont do it, I have a Makita planer and a 2,5Amp battery will hold up about a few minutes of hard work at most, if it's not fully loaded it won't even take the start up load. 5Amps will get the job done, but you will need several.
I also have Bosch 18v pruning saw, it lasts for ages at 2,5Amps - but it has a chain speed at 5m/s, it's like using a file by hand... you'll be faster with a hand saw. Chain speed is everything, especially noticed when comes to battery saws.

A pro 220v saw (wall outlet) is at 15m/s, you'll notice compared to a gas saw that it pulls harder because of the slower chain speed, but it's like a diesel engine - it don't bog down for anything. You'll have that power at any rpm.
I have Husqvarna 220v wall outlet saw and it is a pleasure compared to anything, what it don't have at chain speed it definitely takes back at steady power regardless of rpm.

Some of the newer Makita battery saws is at > 20m/s, that's like a gas saw. I would be interested to know how that works out.

Too lazy to read everything. Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. I bought a DeWalt leaf blower, string trimmer special last year. It came with a small battery. Otherwise I like it. I took a chance and bought two of the China 5 amp batteries for $50. Thats $50 for 2. So far they are holding up.

I have quite a few older DeWalt power tools that use batteries. They are the Ni-Cad type batteries. New replacement batteries for them are crazy expensive.

I'm kind of going back to corded power tools. Plug it in and it works at 100% effectiveness.

I do have a corded chain saw. It works well and is only a tad bit more inconvenient than a battery powered one.

While looking on tractor supply's website, I noticed they have greenworks brand battery saws. They have 40v and 80v saws for just a little more than the dewalt 20v. Now I don't know much about greenworks brand but I would imagine they are not as good as far as quality compared to name brands. Anyone have any experience with this brand?

I noticed they have greenworks brand battery saws. . . . Anyone have any experience with this brand?
I have not use them personally, but they have been around for several years, and generally receive good reviews.

I believe that they also make the 'Kobalt' brand of cordless tools for Lowe's, however, the batteries are slightly different and not interchangeable.

Philbert

Ty for the help. Not sure exactly what I will do yet. I am considering the 80v greenworks

Had to do some light trimming from the roof today. Grabbed my little Makita 18v. It was perfect for the job. Most of it was one handed on stuff under 1.5". Felt a lot safer using it than if I took a gas saw up there....I hate heights.

Ty for the help. Not sure exactly what I will do yet. I am considering the 80v greenworks
I have the greenworks 80v saw and it is great. It has a surprisingly long battery life. And with a little modification they are interchangable with the kobalt 80v tools. I would definitely recommend.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Ty for the help. Not sure exactly what I will do yet.

I hate to throw this into the mix... but are you subject to OSHA workplace safety rules? The reason that I ask is that chainsaw safety chaps (PPE) are not effective at stopping an electric or battery powered saw. Due to the high torque nature of electric saws they will cut right through chaps. I know that the feds (USFS) currently do not allow battery powered chainsaws. I would think that OSHA, being another federal agency, would have similar restrictions which may apply to your workplace. I would check this out before doing anything.

. . . chainsaw safety chaps (PPE) are not effective at stopping an electric or battery powered saw. Due to the high torque nature of electric saws they will cut right through chaps. . . .

That's not exactly accurate. Chaps are not rated for electric or battery saws, because the testing and certification is based on gasoline powered saws. They are effective on some battery saws, and some gas saws will cut through some chaps too.

Battery-powered chainsaws are used by professional arborists all over the country, and electric chainsaws are also used by contractors who are regulated by OSHA.

Philbert

I bought the dewalt 20v saw, dccs620p1, https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-...5-0Ah-Battery-and-Charger-DCCS620P1/301844173

Not had a chance to try it out yet but will update this when I do try it out. Will probably be trying it out on christmas trees first, start selling them the 29th. One thing I am surprised about is the battery. It comes with a 5ah battery, I already have a 3ah battery. They are the exact same size. I was expecting the 5ah to be a little bit bigger than the 3ah. I thought the bigger the ah, the bigger the physical size. Unless the 5ah being XR has something to do with that. The 3ah battery is not XR.

One reason I bought the dewalt is I have other dewalt tools and I can use the 5ah battery in the other tools when not using it on the saw. I have the drill, circ saw, sawzall, and grease gun

Not a big WS fan, but I will try to get around to watching it.

What are the metrics used to choose a saw? Just power? Cost? Run time? Weight? Etc.

What are the convenience advantages of one versus another?

Is a DeWalt battery saw a fair competition to a STIHL MS260 because they have the same length bar? Or is it more in the class of a 30-40cc saw?

Philbert

Just got this 24v 2.5ah Craftsman for my 87 year old Dad to use. Looked like it had never been used.
20191113_182841.jpg
Twenty bucks at the pawn shop. Had been sitting there over a year with a missing oil cap.
A half liter DrPepper cap fit perfect. It's an automatic oiler.

I cut through one seasoned 4" hardwood log to test it out. Much faster than the battery powered sawsall he had been using.

Back