Redback 120V Battery Polesaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I ordered a Redback 120V, battery-powered pole saw at a seasonal clearance price. I already have the chainsaw, and this one with a battery and charger was actually cheaper than buying just a spare battery by itself, so it was a 'good deal' (note: price has varied on line).
https://redbackpowerusa.com
Screen shot 2019-10-09 at 10.16.57 PM.png
IMG_3857.jpg

The polesaw telescopes 17 inches, from 78 inches to a maximum of 95 inches (tip to tip). With the battery and guide bar removed, it collapses down to 71 inches for transport or storage. Shaft length is adjusted with a twist lock (at first I was confused by the sliding, shoulder strap mount which adjusts with a cam lock).

Screen shot 2019-10-09 at 10.24.58 PM.png

The '8 inch' (nominal) bar measures 7-1/4 inch, and runs 3/8 low-profile, narrow-kerf, chain. It was supplied with TriLink, semi-chisel, low-kickback, skip-tooth chain. The bar is angled downward at a fixed, (approximately) 15° angle. It has a tool-less chain tensioner, which was quite stiff initially, but may loosen up with use.

IMG_3861.jpg

Bar oil is added via a real 'flippy cap': a hinged flap, almost like a detergent bottle. Innovative.

IMG_3860.jpg

Philbert

Weight was about 11-1/2 pounds with the battery and strap. There is also some type of strap support / case that holds the saw from the battery end, but use of this was not described in the manual.

IMG_3856.jpg

Trigger was easy to operate, with just a simple, palm-operated safety. This may not be enough to prevent unintentional activation, if the saw is transported in a car, for example, with the battery installed. I drilled a very small hole in the trigger to insert a 'blanket pin' (large safety pin), to prevent accidental operation.

IMG_3863.jpg

IMG_3864.jpg

Now I need to go find some stuff to cut! Hope to do some late season pruning as soon as the frost hits.

Philbert

The angled bar is interesting, seems like a great feature but I wonder what happens if you get it pinched in a very high place.

The angled bar is interesting, seems like a great feature but I wonder what happens if you get it pinched in a very high place.
Pinching a pole saw is always a concern. Misjudging an undercut is one way to do that; another is when a branch swings to the side you are cutting from. In theory, an angled bar should help you cut more from the top of the limb, reducing that risk.

Personally, I have never understood why polesaw guide bars are not made to rotate and lock in a variety of positions.

Philbert

How much was it, curious?

My wife about two years ago bought me a cheap gas pole saw off Amazon. I think it says Remington on it, but the head looks like any other cheap weed eater head on a big box weed eater. It's not super powerfull but can easily cut the length of the bar in hardwood if you don't push it and keep the chain sharp. For yard trees and field edges I have done it works perfect for the little it cost. No batteries or saws to buy again. And as little as I use it I would imagine it would last a decade or two easy. I think it was $159-200...I'm thinking maybe the 200 though?

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

How much was it, curious?
When I ordered it last week it was $100 (quite a deal, since the battery sells for $149 by itself, and their list price is $299). Today, it is listed at $199. Redback said this is an end-of-season clearance.

I was impressed with the Oregon 40V polesaw I first tried six years ago:
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/oregon-40-volt-pole-saw.248941/

And with the Redback 120V chainsaw:
https://www.arboristsite.com/commun...20v-lithium-cordless-battery-chainsaw.310665/

So I am anxious to try it. Having compatible batteries is always a 'plus'.

My wife about two years ago bought me a cheap gas pole saw off Amazon. . . . as little as I use it I would imagine it would last a decade or two easy.
I love polesaws, especially for cleaning up storm damage. I even used a homeowner grade Remington, corded electric polesaw following Hurricane Katrina, because it was all I could afford. Some of these may hold up for extended use with care. Even the 'Pro' grade STIHL models can get damaged by one errant limb.

Philbert

When I ordered it last week it was $100 (quite a deal, since the battery sells for $149 by itself, and their list price is $299). Today, it is listed at $199. Redback said this is an end-of-season clearance.

https://www.arboristsite.com/commun...20v-lithium-cordless-battery-chainsaw.310665/

I love polesaws, especially for cleaning up storm damage. I even used a homeowner grade Remington, corded electric polesaw following Hurricane Katrina, because it was all I could afford. Some of these may hold up for extended use with care. Even the 'Pro' grade STIHL models can get damaged by one errant limb.

Philbert
Or a truck running it over.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Personally, I have never understood why polesaw guide bars are not made to rotate and lock in a variety of positions.
Efco has this feature. I have a 27cc two cycle non extendable example. I believe the additional adjustment moves the center line of the bar farther from the center line of the pole. I never really spent much time using it in the non straight positions. Clearly if it is at 90 degrees and gets stuck one should be able to let go unlike a bar that is straight. My Husqvarna battery pole saw has the motor at the cutting attachment and the removable battery at the rear. Getting that stuck isn't a problem after shorting it 28 inches or so. Remove battery let go. Stihl does have an angle attachment, never used or saw one, maybe more for cutting horizontal than trimming a branch.

Speaking of getting stuck, the picture above does not look like there is much in the way of blocks or pegs in the bar slot to resist the bar twisting about the central bolt.

The stihl attachment would be more like twisting the relationship of the head and the pole. That angled bar would mean you need a ladder as high as the top of the flat bush. That is the new plastic branch puller on the Stihl. Sure that isn't the 133?

This is the Efco cutting attachment. I have said bad things about the pole saw I got in years back but it makes a better long string trimmer. I think this attachment comes in two tube diameters depending on what is needed. If you want the long tube need order the pole pruner to start with. Another thing is it says take it to the dealer for a new sprocket. IMG_20191010_132802 - Copy.jpg

Pinching a pole saw is always a concern. Misjudging an undercut is one way to do that; another is when a branch swings to the side you are cutting from. In theory, an angled bar should help you cut more from the top of the limb, reducing that risk.

Philbert
efco has it,,and has had, for a number of yrs...

Finally got a chance to really use it today! Been a while, but as I noted above, was a good investment for me, even for just the battery.
IMG_0061.jpg

Cleaning up some local storm damage with volunteers; this was green maple. Passed it around for several people to try (the photo shows it being used where a conventional saw would work, just to try the pole saw, but reaching into a tangled mess is a good application). They were impressed with how well it cut (new chain, Tri-Link, 3/8 low profile / narrow kerf), and how easy it is to operate, compared to starting up a gas saw. Also, how much lighter it is than the STIHL HT131 that they normally use. Really convenient for homeowner / 'pro-sumer' use. Could also be a good choice for landscaping, etc. use, due to the convenience, light weight, and lower price, compared to a 'pro' pole saw.

Philbert

Philbert
I used a remington pole saw on a 2000w generator to clear shooting lanes for a 1000yd range... I wheeled the generator in a wheelbarrow (couldn't drive a vehicle over the barricades) & a thick 50 foot extension cord...it was the one that the saw on the tip is a self contained corded chainsaw when you detach it from the pole.
Man that thing got heavy!!!
I am currently looking to replace my current pole saw, so I would appreciate any further feedback on this one:)

I used a remington pole saw on a 2000w generator . . .
During Katrina I ran a Remington, corded electric pole saw off a 3,500W generator, and a 100' extension cord! I could not afford the nice STIHL pole saws, and none were to be found if I could.

As with all battery powered outdoor power equipment, remember that the battery is half the tool. Look at the entire battery platform, and what tools it supports, before you make a decision. You might think that you are only buying one tool, but they are like chocolate chip cookies or potato chips: pretty soon you will want another, and another, . . . . And, you want them to run off the same batteries.

https://www.arboristsite.com/commun...chainsaws-and-outdoor-power-equipment.177392/
Philbert

During Katrina I ran a Remington, corded electric pole saw off a 3,500W generator, and a 100' extension cord! I could not afford the nice STIHL pole saws, and none were to be found if I could.

As with all battery powered outdoor power equipment, remember that the battery is half the tool. Look at the entire battery platform, and what tools it supports, before you make a decision. You might think that you are only buying one tool, but they are like chocolate chip cookies or potato chips: pretty soon you will want another, and another, . . . . And, you want them to run off the same batteries.

https://www.arboristsite.com/commun...chainsaws-and-outdoor-power-equipment.177392/
Philbert
That's why the Milwaukee is currently topping my list, I have 12 tools on their platform & 16 good batteries to use with it:)

Whelp, I bought a 56 c stihl pole saw, 6 tanks later & a half mile driveway cleared as high as I can reach, I'm pretty happy with it.
the 1/4" chain took a bit of learning to sharpen right, but cuts well.
I cut several dead & extremely hsrd locust limbs that where bigger than the 10" bar & it chewed through slowly but easily:)

Back