Tiny stove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check keepshooting dot com. They get lots of high quality military surplus from all over the world. Don’t know if they still have them but they had new unissued Swedish heat/cook stoves at one time.

Ah, I see.

Kerosene--yuck. It was fine for lamps and lanterns--I have many such hours way back--but stinky fuel, not to my liking. Get you a woodstove.

For under $300, I'd be after that TSC box stove. Maybe someone you know has one in a shed you could try out.

So my camp--board and batten construction, built by an Amish sawyer from local pine, steel roof that I look at the underside of when lying in my futon bed, is a three-season camp. However, I was in the area one January and just had to try a night inside. I brought in armloads of dry firewood, turned the futon crosswise in front of the stove about 2' away, and built a roaring fire. I burn hardwood exclusively--hard maple, oak, hickory--which does not pop or throw sparks--so I leave the stove door open to get the radiant heat. I was fully dressed including insulated coveralls, bundled inside my sleeping bag, in front of that fire all night, waking every hour or two to keep as much fire as I could. Front side was warm, backside not. Came out in the morning and trekked thru the snow up the jeep road to my car, praying it would start. Turns out it had been five below zero. My only neighbor came hustling out to invite me in for coffee--he wanted a report.

My wife and I found, in a later season, that it helped to hang a tarp from above to separate the stove end from the rest of the camp--the living room, so to speak. The tarp both kept the cold back and reflected some heat back into our cozy area. Wish I'd thought of that during my January stay. Coldest night I've ever spent.

Love the ideas fellas. I saw one made out of a 20lb LP cylinder on the net. Not sure how efficient it would be or how easy you clean out, but that's about the size I'm thinking.

Yes you will. I keep dry fire makings always on hand inside camp. Can walk in anytime and have heat in 8 minutes.

You're probably in the right country for white birch. Find pieces of bark in the woods and it makes the best fire starter on earth. Find bits of bark where the wood has rotted away and the bark remains. Shake out the junk and get just the bark. If you cut a white birch, score the bark with your knife and peal it. Start your fire with that. The stuff has some kind of pitch, will almost burn wet. Burns with black smoke.
And smells so good!

Look for a used Jotul 602
Make sure the top inside baffles and heat shielding isn't all burned out or warped.

this is a light duty made for wall tents of cabins, not for residential use
Survivor 1.8 cu. ft. Firebox Camp Stove in Black
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Survivor-1-8-cu-ft-Firebox-Camp-Stove-in-Black-12-CSM/207139833

There are some small 12v diesel heaters that have small exhaust pipe. lots of people using these in van conversions.
I know its not exactly what you asked but perhaps a consideration
71MuTkglXML._AC_SL1500_.jpg

We Dad built a wall hanging "woodstove" for inside our ice shanty when I was a kid. Did great job warming up the 10'x10' ice shanty, top loading and could heat up coffee/coco/soup on the top of it that was actually the door to load it. about 14-16" deep and 8"x8" rectangle.
Might want to check out sauna stoves but they may also be a bit big for what you are looking for. I have a Kuuma stove in my 12x14 sauna...gets the sauna plenty warm no matter the outside temp.

I second the vote for a Jotul 602. Excellent little air tight stoves, I have a little bit bigger model of Jotul for my small 30 x 30 house. Very nice heat, looks and a cook surface on top.
If you like the vintage look, it would be worth finding a good used one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was an asian knock-off to the jotul, can't remember the name and not sure of build quality. I've got a vintage tent stove kicking around called a Not-a-Bolt stove. The sides breaks down and it packs flat but it's still IRON. Not exactly practical but perhaps collectable.

I was going to suggest the smallest Jotul that takes wood front to back. They've got a nice space for cooking and they still take a decent length of firewood for a small stove. We had a Morso 1410 squirrel, which was great. Really put out nice heat, big window that stayed clean, enough room for a couple pans, but it only took 9-10" wood. As it turns out, it's not very convenient to make firewood at that length, as well as storing it separately, etc. Really a great stove though.

https://morsoe.com/us/product/indoor/wood-burning-stove/p1410_us

Morso makes a high quality product. May be hard to find one cheep & used.

Coleman lanterns will take the chill off a small space but the fuel(white gas) will get expensive quick. These can be converted to Kerosene with a vaporizer swap and alcohol preheat cup. (Check Coleman Collectors site). Aladdin center draft lamps throw good heat but have to be carefully adjusted not to run away and ruin mantle. Dietz style Kerosene lanterns are fine outside but stink to high heavens and not much heat. Kosmos Brenner style center draft #15 throw great light, sip fuel but not much heat and delicate chimney/globe

Reginald, and one other may have been made under license with Jotul. From what I recall they had good build quality
Also try Waterford 100 & 101
The Thailand ones name alludes me. They where pure knockoffs but welded from steel plate and sturdy looking.

Im a 25 year Alaskan. I have a remote cabin, and have been to many many others. I've done this at -50. Not figurative fifty below. Actual -52. So here are some observations from experience. 1) you need an oversized stove. I have a 12x16 with the exact stove as my house. When you get there and it's dark, late, and cold and you are tired, cold, wet and half in the bag you are gonna want to dump some heat into the space fast. Not only do you have to heat the cabin you have to heat the frozen contents. 2) it super important to have the stove set up with an external air intake. Remember you have a BIG ASS stove in a small cabin, Folks are gonna want to load it heavy, so it gets hot as hell. The stove is pulling in outside air, adn the whole cabin is on a draft. As the fire burns down at 3:42 the draw is still pulling in -50 air and the next thing your know your tongue is froze to your pillow. Then you gotta get up and make a fire to start all over again. Burn external air for combustion. 3)It's hard to keep a small space comfortable with a wood stove. It's always too hot at midnight, freezing at 5 am, and always needs attention. I also have one of those direct vent propane heaters that runs on a millivolt thermostat. I set that baby to 72 and it's 72 when I open my eyes. It barely burns any fuel because it really doesn't run much as I get up and make a fire and then turn the thermostat down.
I love being off grid. I'd love to live out there. I have 7 acres but I just cant put two and two together to make it real.

Back