Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
steved, we said that the last time I ripped it off. Yesterday I had a branch come up between the front tire and the engine side panel, up past the injector pump and bent the fuel shut off bracket 90 degrees the opposite way so the cable wouldn't move. These darn branches go everywhere. I need to stay out of the branches. Heading out this morning.
20191010_073540.jpg

That third bolt was not to be had. Could not get a good angle with the drill.

Cleaned everything up then gooped the gasket heavily with high temp RTV. Smooshed it all together with the two new bolts and smeared the overflow smooth with my finger. Will let it cure overnight and test it out.
Sacrificial vicegrips have been known to stand in for a bolt plenty of times lol

Sacrificial vicegrips have been known to stand in for a bolt plenty of times lol
You just reminded me where I have an extra pair at :cheers:.
Pretty pissed off this morning. Trying to fix the exhaust in my truck as a gasket under the cab was blown out.

End up breaking two studs and having to cut the third. But the gull darn studs will not come out!!!! Wailed on directly with a hammer and they won’t even budge!!

Now it started raining. Have to hope the new drill bits my wife buys will be hard enough to drill them out.
If the hole is not blind I take a torch and heat the end of the stud up, then work my way to the manifold, then blow it right through before the manifold gets hot enough to melt.
Another trick is to weld a nut onto the broken stud if it has anything left. On the ones I know are gonna break I turn them in(which I almost always do to loosen tough nuts anyway) until they break as it seems to leave more than when they break backing them out.
An impact driver is much more compact and you can get drill bits that fit in it. My impact driver with an impact style drill but is about the same length as my drill.
I also have a set of blue point straight flue extractors and the drill bits, it's a kit, toughest extractors I've used. I've still broken a few :cry:, but they are replaced but the snap-on driver :clap:.
There are special clamps(other than vise grips lol) that are made specifically for an application such as a broken stud. There are also flanges that can go on around the factory manifold and the flange on the pipe, they are called a flange repair kit or something similar. Someone at a good parts wholesaler will be able to point you in the right direction, then you can see if it will fit your application.
Hope something here helps bud.

Had an expensive visit to my local Stihl dealer today. Picked up 3 chains each for the MS 261 and MS 461, sharpeners for each, felling wedges, a hatchet, and some great big bumper spikes for the 461.

$460 Canadian snow pesos later, I should be well-supplied for a while. Always funny going to that dealership. Great folks, but I think most of their clientele is suburban homeowners and farmers. They're always taken aback by my purchases of pro saws and ample gear.

Had an expensive visit to my local Stihl dealer today. Picked up 3 chains each for the MS 261 and MS 461, sharpeners for each, felling wedges, a hatchet, and some great big bumper spikes for the 461.

$460 Canadian snow pesos later, I should be well-supplied for a while. Always funny going to that dealership. Great folks, but I think most of their clientele is suburban homeowners and farmers. They're always taken aback by my purchases of pro saws and ample gear.
Sounds like maybe 60 or so more than here depending on how many and what type wedges you got(I want some red heads).
The stihl dealers don't know what freedom dollars are here in the states :buttkick:.
I can get a couple 20" chains for around 38, buy one get one half off. I usually buy Oregon(even though I like the stihl chains), they are cheaper in the end and easier to sharpen, but the new exl chains are a lot harder and cut great out of the box. I really like the picco chain on my smaller and baby saws and I buy the stihls for them since I don't go through those as quick since. I'm normally cutting clean wood with them.

Got 4 more buckets yesterday, two red oak and two black locust. The green pile is getting pretty big and I still have more to cut yet here from the storm damage, and the big red oak branch out back. Then I have a few I'm taking down for the neighbor(to the south) after the trees finish dropping their leaves this fall, a bunch at my neighbor to the north around his house and throughout his woods, and the large white oak 2 cherry and some other learners at my parents :dizzy:. Sure hope I dont get any jobs that come in lol.
Its currently raining on and off here, its supposed to let up sometime this evening and then cool down to 39 by morning. Just grabbed 1.8 gallons of ethanol free 93 so that will get me thru a bit more cutting and leaf blowing. Need to order some more 2-smoke oil, only have about 4.5 oz left:crazy2:.
You guys got any big scrounging plans for the weekend?

Got 4 more buckets yesterday, two red oak and two black locust. The green pile is getting pretty big and I still have more to cut yet here from the storm damage, and the big red oak branch out back. Then I have a few I'm taking down for the neighbor(to the south) after the trees finish dropping their leaves this fall, a bunch at my neighbor to the north around his house and throughout his woods, and the large white oak 2 cherry and some other learners at my parents :dizzy:. Sure hope I dont get any jobs that come in lol.
Its currently raining on and off here, its supposed to let up sometime this evening and then cool down to 39 by morning. Just grabbed 1.8 gallons of ethanol free 93 so that will get me thru a bit more cutting and leaf blowing. Need to order some more 2-smoke oil, only have about 4.5 oz left:crazy2:.
You guys got any big scrounging plans for the weekend?

Nope :(. A mate has a coupla big logs he wants me to cut up and remove but I'll prolly do that in a few weeks to give his place a chance to dry out a bit more then I'll take the wood down to my brother mid-Nov since I have to go down there anyway. If I cut, split and load the ute and trailer the week before we go then I have an excuse to give Cowgirl not to unload it.

Nah screw it, I'll go scrounge and it can sit in the ranger for a month :D.

Delivered a cord this morning, but tomorrow I'm going up to the cabin to meet with my nephew Mechanic Matt and a crew to re do the roof on our old cabin. It is in very bad shape, as in it has a hole large enough for a softball to go through.

Luckily, the hole is over the overhang, so it does not go inside the cabin, but it is long overdue for replacement and looks like it will finally happen (been talking about it for 3 years now, but with building the new cabin it just never happens).

Not looking good for much scrounging up here this weekend , tropical cyclone warnig for tonight , 50F/50mph and rain tonight , drizzle tomorrow so I'll work on the HoneyDo list tomorrow .
Our turkey day is Monday so it looks like Sunday will be the designated Scrounge Day :)

Clear and cool here tonight, glad the wind let up, was horrible earlier today.

Since my cabin is to the North and generally cooler than here, I'm pretty sure my first (indoor stove) fire of the year will be tomorrow night!

Plenty of wood up there, but I think I'm going to start taking it out of the back of the wood shelter so it cycles! Otherwise, we just keep taking the newest stuff out and never get to the back row!

Built this a couple of years ago from 2 large Oak Pallets and some other stuff we had laying around (all scrounged materials). Seems to work really well!

Attachments

• IMG_20171015_173715892.jpg
    IMG_20171015_173715892.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 26
Maybe somebody mentioned this before, not sure. I use a roller guide for sharpening chains,a JRed, same as the Husky. I can not get it to fit on Stihl chains, anybody else experience this?
We have talked about it before.
I've had that problem on some stihl chain, but not sure which ones anymore or exactly what/where it didn't fit as I haven't ran into it in a while. I mainly use the gauge on the roller guides but not the rollers them selves. I free hand file then use my grinders when they get damaged or are chains that I didn't buy new.

Nope :(. A mate has a coupla big logs he wants me to cut up and remove but I'll prolly do that in a few weeks to give his place a chance to dry out a bit more then I'll take the wood down to my brother mid-Nov since I have to go down there anyway. If I cut, split and load the ute and trailer the week before we go then I have an excuse to give Cowgirl not to unload it.

Nah screw it, I'll go scrounge and it can sit in the ranger for a month :D.
Did you do it:chainsaw:.
It's been real wet here too. The river was just getting back in its banks and we got a good bit more rain yesterday, so it will be back out again. It's not to a stage where it's causing problems and probably won't, but it's quite high for this time of the yr.
I may run a smaller saw later today and clean up a little more of the storm damage. I've certainly got my wood for 2 seasons from now just with the storm damage. It's a bummer loosing so many trees, I don't normally cut anything here unless its dead standing, and I like to do that in the winter.
It got down to 38 last night, stove has a small fire in it, ash cookies, a split of red oak, and a small round of black locust:blob2:.

Latest posts

Back