36" bar on a echo cs- 590? Anyone try? Looking to use one to make a few cuts in some large wood.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 2 590 and one is ported, wouldn’t think of putting a 36” on either.

Just how big is this tree? a 24" bar, if used in hardwood, pushes a 590's limits in my opinion. If used right a 24" bar is capable of taking 5' plus when plunge cutting a notch.

That tree is an advanced cut. Looks rotted out and a split stem to me. Maybe I'm just not seeing it correctly. Very easy to lose control on something like that if it is the type that I think it is. How tall is it?

That’s not a 36” 590 sort of tree.

I will acknowledge I haven’t run a 590. But I have cut big trees, including tangled, wind blown stuff and hollowed out trees like what you have pictured. These higher risk trees and situations require a powerhead that can cut quickly and with authority, a saw that can out-cut the tree’s desire to move, in essence. This is not a place for an over-barred 60cc saw.

I agree with lostone, without seeing that tree in person, and personally knowing your ability, that looks like a Good tree, to have a professional fall. Once it's on the ground, a 24" bar cutting from both sides can buck up a 42" log

A LOT could go wrong with that tree, seriously consider having it taken down for you, that would be a lot cheaper than getting Hurt, KILLED, or having it fall on something that you don't Want a tree laying on ;)

Doug :cheers:

I will acknowledge I haven’t run a 590. But I have cut big trees, including tangled, wind blown stuff and hollowed out trees like what you have pictured. These higher risk trees and situations require a powerhead that can cut quickly and with authority, a saw that can out-cut the tree’s desire to move, in essence. This is not a place for an over-barred 60cc saw.

Exactly, that tree requires more knowledge than the average home owner behind the saw IMO. I have an idea of what would have to be done but would never say it on a forum and have someone try it.

We were replying at the same time :), This is Good advice ;)

Doug :cheers:

Be afraid. I do most of my cutting in the forest, and passing up a risky tree is done regularly. If it was on my property and it has to come down, get help. Even if you plan to do it yourself, get help. Cables, chains, snatch blocks and someone pulling (tractor, truck, come-a-long, etc.) goes a long long ways in making sure nobody gets hurt.

These are underrated. Get the best one you can.

61O8FohtkmL._AC_SX569_.jpg

This is the tree. Essentially it can fall anywhere other than in the river. Thanks for the advice fellas. Saw experience I have is in between novice and expert. I have used plenty of chain come alongs, snatch blocks and cables to fell dangerous leaning trees.

Attachments

• 0714191431.jpg
    0714191431.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 80
Back