Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GardenEquipmentReview

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently had a Predator 38 radio remote petrol stump grinder on loan while my Predator 28 radio remote was having the main cutter head bearings replaced. I used the Predator 38 for around 100 hours and it gave me no problems whatsoever, which is a little different to my Predator 28 machine that I purchased in October 2016. How do you find your stump grinder, is it problem free or does it need constant attention?

I really like the cutting efficiency of the Predator and the ability to narrow down to 26 inches, which is a great feature.

I have written and made a short video review of my experience with the Predator 38 and 28 stump grinders, I would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Here is the link to the Predator 38 and 28 review.

I read your review on the Predator 28. That is an unbelievable amount of problems with one machine. Four engines??? There is no way I would have bought another product from that company, but it sounds like your new machine is doing ok. But give this some consideration, if for no other reason than to gain some perspective. I bought a Vermeer 372 six years ago. It has had 2 issues. A broken ground wire. A leaky seal. That’s it. 6 years, 1000+ hours. It’s my 3rd Vermeer grinder.

I have a 2012 Vermeer 252. I’ve had some stuff go on it, not much I think in the grand scheme of things. I still like the machine.

Did the lower bearings the first winter in it after I bought it used with 700 hours. Upper and lower, it needed the lower on the cutter side and it was winter so I just did them all. Really only needed the one. I probably was the cause too. I did a fair size stump say 50”+ cut line easily a 6 or 7ft grind circle on a 8degree Black Friday. Yeah, had to squeeze one more big one in for maintenance money didn’t I.

Jackshaft slid sometime after that repair this spring(my fault, I did the repair last winter, I have since dimpled both shafts under the set screws). In a pinch I used some NAPA “gates” belts that I always hated they had multiple splices a piece but I needed to get back on the job it was spring and I was busy. The other gates belts I had were clean and straight looking could barley feel the splice.

One of those very NAPA “gates” belts twisted inside out and got all loose and floppy on me today! Today!!Think it was right after a large root jammed me up. Stopped the machine dead. Finished the job but new something was amiss, clutch didn’t sound the same engaging. Does run two belts shaft to shaft there, that’s what kept me going, one hung on. Lucky I had one little 12” stump left. Course busy season again. Got good ones coming fast this time. Real Gates, good enough anyway, I liked the last ones.

That’s about it I think. Normal, explainable, minor stuff really I think in the grand scheme of things.

Ohh and teeth. Always changing and flipping teeth to keep up with the big machines. I have a real small grinder so I run greenteeth and crank up the hydro pump for swing speed.

Bruce

If they don't need to be removed (i.e. they're in the middle of a yard, rather than in a place where you're trying to lay a foundation) don't remove them, just have them ground.

Stump grinding takes a few minutes per stump and leaves you with a slight depression and a whole bunch of mulch. You can back-fill with some fill dirt or top soil depending on the location.

Most places will cost you probably between $100 and $200 to have them come out for the first stump and then they'll charge you per each additional stump something like $20 to $50 depending on the size. Or if you're lucky you'll find some semi-retired guy with a stump-grinder who might only you charge you a per-stump fee. Check with landscapers, tree services, and your neighbors.

If they don't need to be removed (i.e. they're in the middle of a yard, rather than in a place where you're trying to lay a foundation) don't remove them, just have them ground.

Stump grinding takes a few minutes per stump and leaves you with a slight depression and a whole bunch of mulch. You can back-fill with some fill dirt or top soil depending on the location.

Most places will cost you probably between $100 and $200 to have them come out for the first stump and then they'll charge you per each additional stump something like $20 to $50 depending on the size. Or if you're lucky you'll find some semi-retired guy with a stump-grinder who might only you charge you a per-stump fee. Check with landscapers, tree services, and your neighbors.

How are you so consistently off topic but on subject in your replies? Is this someone's computer program? The man asked about stump grinder reliability and you talk about stump grinding prices. Another man asks about bucket truck mechanical problems and you talk about using a GPS and low bridges with a bucket truck. Yet another man shows off his vintage log splitter and you talk about the reliability of your not-vintage log splitter.

Ha Ha Ha that's funny ****! Well David Greams let's hear it brother? I would just go with your Schitzophrenic and someone else is giving your answers for you. Smile

I read your review on the Predator 28. That is an unbelievable amount of problems with one machine. Four engines??? There is no way I would have bought another product from that company, but it sounds like your new machine is doing ok. But give this some consideration, if for no other reason than to gain some perspective. I bought a Vermeer 372 six years ago. It has had 2 issues. A broken ground wire. A leaky seal. That’s it. 6 years, 1000+ hours. It’s my 3rd Vermeer grinder.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post, my apologies for the delay in replying.

It is interesting that you have owned a Vermeer stump grinder with over a thousand hours with very few problems. I have never owned a Vermeer stump grinder, however, I do like their build quality and I have used a Vermeer a few years back.

The problem we have in the UK is getting into gardens and sometimes this is quite tight. The Predator narrows down to 26 inches which is perfect for going through a 30-inch garden gate, this was my main reason for purchasing the Predator. If it wasn’t for the width problem I would definitely think about trying a Vermeer stump grinder.

Thankfully the Predator that I am using at the moment, which is petrol, seems to be going fine. As I mentioned in my review, I think a lot of the issues may have come down to diesel engine vibration issues.

It sounds like you’re Vermeer’s have served you well, which is great news.

Attachments

• Stump grinfing in Cambridge.jpg
    Stump grinfing in Cambridge.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
I have a 2012 Vermeer 252. I’ve had some stuff go on it, not much I think in the grand scheme of things. I still like the machine.

Did the lower bearings the first winter in it after I bought it used with 700 hours. Upper and lower, it needed the lower on the cutter side and it was winter so I just did them all. Really only needed the one. I probably was the cause too. I did a fair size stump say 50”+ cut line easily a 6 or 7ft grind circle on a 8degree Black Friday. Yeah, had to squeeze one more big one in for maintenance money didn’t I.

Jackshaft slid sometime after that repair this spring(my fault, I did the repair last winter, I have since dimpled both shafts under the set screws). In a pinch I used some NAPA “gates” belts that I always hated they had multiple splices a piece but I needed to get back on the job it was spring and I was busy. The other gates belts I had were clean and straight looking could barley feel the splice.

One of those very NAPA “gates” belts twisted inside out and got all loose and floppy on me today! Today!!Think it was right after a large root jammed me up. Stopped the machine dead. Finished the job but new something was amiss, clutch didn’t sound the same engaging. Does run two belts shaft to shaft there, that’s what kept me going, one hung on. Lucky I had one little 12” stump left. Course busy season again. Got good ones coming fast this time. Real Gates, good enough anyway, I liked the last ones.

That’s about it I think. Normal, explainable, minor stuff really I think in the grand scheme of things.

Ohh and teeth. Always changing and flipping teeth to keep up with the big machines. I have a real small grinder so I run greenteeth and crank up the hydro pump for swing speed.

Bruce

Hello Bruce,

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and my apologies for the delay in replying.

I always think that a stump grinder is quite an aggressive machine, however, these machines should be built strong enough to withstand the type of work that they carry out.

I hear you regarding your machine, replacing your bearings at 700 hours I would imagine is not too bad. I think I managed 820 hours out of my Predator, which I had from new, I’m also the only person who operates the machine.

As you mention, I think your issues with your Vermeer are kind of acceptable, taking into account the nature of the work.

I must admit that teeth don’t last very long, the problem is with tree stump grinding we cannot see what’s below the ground.

Once again, thank you for commenting.

Hello David,

Thank you for your comment, however, it doesn't quite line up with the topic we are talking about!

Strange first post. Like an anti-infomercial.

Hi there,

Thank you for reading my post. My apologies if it seems slightly strange for the first post, however, we have to start somewhere! This is a genuine review on a machine that I use for a business that I own and I'm genuinely interested to hear about other people's experience with their stump grinders.

Have a great weekend.

Roy

My apologies then Roy.
I have been running Rayco stump grinders for the last 6-7 years. If I had equipment experiences like yours, I would not have stayed in business. There are quite a few posts on this site that might help you. "people's experience with their stump grinders" is a little broad for me. If you can narrow it down some, I'd be glad to help.

Latest posts

Back