36" bar on a echo cs- 590? Anyone try? Looking to use one to make a few cuts in some large wood.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love it. Any opinions on bigger echo saws? I have had real good luck with echo equipment. My cs-400's and cs-590's have done me good and have taken lots of abuse. Maybe the 800p? Problem is bigger trees = more work splitting and stacking. I know most guys are stihl or husky. And a sprinkling of jonserds and dolmars for good measure.

The porting really opened that saw up but it’s still a 60 cc saw. If you’re looking bigger look at a 7910 or 7900 Makita.

I would say a lot depends on what you want to spend on one as well as what you want for an upper weight limit. Are you a new saw or nothing person or willing to consider a good used saw that may be for sale local that you can put your hands on and try.

I like a new saw for the warranty. Echo has been good to me. Had a coil go out just outside of the warranty period. Probably my fault I was cutting logs in a river lol. They didn't bat an eye with fixing it, they said had some moisture in it lol I bet but also said replaced coil.

I haven't played with any of the upper CC saws that are out now and the biggest I have personally had is a ported 046. However strictly from an on paper stat's and what little bit I have read about them I would personally be trying see if there was a place close to me that I could put my hands on a Makita 7900. Everyone one is different on what they like.

I haven't played with any of the upper CC saws that are out now and the biggest I have personally had is a ported 046. However strictly from an on paper stat's and what little bit I have read about them I would personally be trying see if there was a place close to me that I could put my hands on a Makita 7900. Everyone one is different on what they like.
7900 is one of my favorites, but he has a saw in the 590 that filles the middle weigh spot well, so I would go big.[emoji106]

From 59 to 79cc? I consider an 80cc saw higher than mid range.

The 590 has the weight of a 70 to 80cc saw, with a bit less power, so I'd personally jump to 90cc saw and be done with it. I see it much like skipping a 60cc saw and going to a 70cc, if you already have a good 50cc. The 7900 while quite powerful, is really limited to what most 70cc saws can do, because of the oiler, clutch, AV.

That might depend on your collection, myself I have from the 38cc, 23 Compact, to the 119cc, 3120XP.
Basically from one of Husqvarna's Smallest to their largest.

119cc-38cc = 81cc difference

81/2=40.5

38+40.5=78.5

In My Collection, and Husqvarna's line up 79cc is almost Exactly Mid Range;)

YMMV,
Doug :cheers:

Yep, everyone has a different way of looking at it.
True.

I consider a true large saw able to run a 32"+ bar all day in hardwood. The 7900 is close to this, but not quite there, especially stock, and the oiler is marginal with a bar that long and without modification. To me these are the big saws made today. 390xp, 395xp, 3120xp, ms661, ms880. Although the 500i looks to maybe fall in there, but I hear the AV is a bit soft for long bars. It's not necessarily just about displacement or power, it's about the overall capability.[emoji111]

There is a 390 listed for sale in the forums. New. May be the right saw for him. I look at weight mainly and a saw that can be used a lot and that put the 7900 in my sights, a bigger/younger guy may not have that issue.

I see an excuse here for a big saw if you have the means to do so.

Big saws aren’t there to lug around when you don’t need them. But there are times you need to bring them out to get something serious done in short order.

I had 50 and 60cc saws so I went with a 390XP. Love it.

There is a 390 listed for sale in the forums. New. May be the right saw for him. I look at weight mainly and a saw that can be used a lot and that put the 7900 in my sights, a bigger/younger guy may not have that issue.
I hear you loud and clear, the 7900 is my go to. The true big saws are nice for bucking though, as all the weight is on the log, I'm not the biggest guy and getting broken down, so swinging a big saw around isn't as easy as it once was. I have to say with a 28" or 32" you can do a lot of work upright, the reach can be nice.

Latest posts

Back