Free stihls from the loggers shed...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A longtime friend, who has been logging many years, "retires" saws to his shed for parts. These saws all saw heavy use , and/or some sort of "blunt trauma" damage.

When he moves on to a new generation of saws I have been fortunate to get some of the old ones. First time was 25 years ago and I got a few 038 and 056, I managed a runner of each (038M and 056M) from salvaging what was still useful.

I saw him this summer and he mentioned, "I think I have some 044s?".

I visited yesterday:

1) 046 Magnum

The best of the bunch. Complete except the front muffler cover and handle bar Cracked brake handle and tank handle near where it meets tank. Has a nearly new HD air filter and 7-pin rim. 1 large felling dawg and P/C looks like a set of rings would be all they need.

2) 044/440?

Looks like it met a big tree or a skidder. Almost whole tank gone except carb and housing around it. Flippy caps. Cracked chain cover. Missing handlebar. Small dawgs. But P/C looks as good as the 046 above. Did flippy caps come in before they went to 12mm wrist pin?

3) MS361

Air filter cover repaired (cracked top). Missing gas cap, rim sprocket, recoil rope. Chain cover missing a big chunk near top by serial number on case. No dawgs. P/C look O.K. Pretty complete saw.

All 3 above look like P/C in usable shape, but well used. Perhaps a piston besides rings. The 046 and 361 are complete enough to perhaps be projects. The 044 could be a powerhead donor saw.

All 3 turn over smoothly but I've only had a quick look so far. They are all filthy and had a hard life. Will post some more when I clean them up and learn more. Get a few pictures.

4) bonus parts

A 046 or 044 tank assy. Pretty stripped besides tank but has a handle bar. What to look for for 044 vs 046?

Was it a good haul? :D

On #2 - Flippy caps were long after the change to the 12mm wrist pin and the designation to the 440, so you have a 440 there.

Occasionally you'll see a flippy cap tank on a screw-cap case, so those are just an 044 with a later tank.

On #4 - if it's an 046 tank, it'll have much longer intake studs.

There's a thread for this, no need to create a new one. Unless you think your suckage is special?

"You Suck" Thread 2019--Pics required!

Well, I don't have any pictures. :picture: :buttkick:

I suppose I could have posted this there, and got grief for not having pictures...........

If Mods want to move it that's fine with me. Won't be any pictures for a while.

I need to fix the lens on my camera, and would clean things up to see what's under the grime first.

Latest posts

Back