36" bar on a echo cs- 590? Anyone try? Looking to use one to make a few cuts in some large wood.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If that echo is anything like a 562 it could pull a 32, I’ve cut oversized second growth Doug fir without issues as well as some larger alder 3’+ but the big issue is the chain getting something that will work with the power head and bar combo. The big thing is how much experience do you have cutting timber? Cutting oversize can be a challenge getting your cuts lined up can be a real even for someone doing it everyday. To boring the back cut can lead to you clipping a hinge easier, if not setup correctly you can swing one over to that side or split out the back vs chasing the back where you have a feel for what the tree is doing plus you can do everything from one side vs doing the GOL Swedish stump dance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If that echo is anything like a 562 it could pull a 32, I’ve cut oversized second growth Doug fir without issues as well as some larger alder 3’+ but the big issue is the chain getting something that will work with the power head and bar combo. The big thing is how much experience do you have cutting timber? Cutting oversize can be a challenge getting your cuts lined up can be a real even for someone doing it everyday. To boring the back cut can lead to you clipping a hinge easier, if not setup correctly you can swing one over to that side or split out the back vs chasing the back where you have a feel for what the tree is doing plus you can do everything from one side vs doing the GOL Swedish stump dance.

Different types of wood my friend, for some reason guys out west seem to alway forget that. A 562 will not pull or oil the chain on a 32" in any of the hard dry wood around here. Not in any way shape or form. Cut up a dusty stone dead ash with my new 572 last weekend. Ash will make the chain dry like you wouldn't believe. Ash only has like 30% green.

31f6eb00af501ca0a72d3954ddc7bc6b.jpg

Different types of wood my friend, for some reason guys out west seem to alway forget that. A 562 will not pull or oil the chain on a 32" in any of the hard dry wood around here. Not in any way shape or form. Cut up a dusty stone dead ash with my new 572 last weekend. Ash will make the chain dry like you wouldn't believe. Ash only has like 30% green.

31f6eb00af501ca0a72d3954ddc7bc6b.jpg

And you guys out East forget we have more then softwoods out here, there’s Ash out on the west coast as well as Oak and Willow. But remember this is Cottonwood punky stuff most of the time most of the work will need to be done in the chain to help it pull the length, to the oiling issue jump up to 063 and a ton of the issues go away or to a different brand of bar I haven’t had an issue with oiling in the second growth Fir which has a nasty set of fines.

My 7900’s wear a 24” bar on one and a 28” on the other. They can handle 85%-90% of what I cut. However when someone offers me an oak that I can get 1-2 years firewood out of and needed a bigger saw I went with a Makita 9010 with 36” bar and full skip. I used it on 2 oaks this year that produced 2-3 years worth of heating wood.

And you guys out East forget we have more then softwoods out here, there’s Ash out on the west coast as well as Oak and Willow. But remember this is Cottonwood punky stuff most of the time most of the work will need to be done in the chain to help it pull the length, to the oiling issue jump up to 063 and a ton of the issues go away or to a different brand of bar I haven’t had an issue with oiling in the second growth Fir which has a nasty set of fines.

Didn't forget. Ash will literally stuck the oil off the chain and leave a nasty crust on the chain too. And sorry I've seen what you call hardwood, from what I can tell and from having spoken with people in person that have cut both they agree. You should see their face when they cut into a Locaust stump, they actually think something is wrong and ask is that stone I'm cutting. Sorry, but you just don't know any better.[emoji111]

Didn't forget. Ash will literally stuck the oil off the chain and leave a nasty crust on the chain too. And sorry I've seen what you call hardwood, from what I can tell and from having spoken with people in person that have cut both they agree. You should see their face when they cut into a Locaust stump, they actually think something is wrong and ask is that stone I'm cutting. Sorry, but you just don't know any better.[emoji111]
I was cutting blowdown white oak in North Carolina and that stuff was more gummy than even ash or balsam fir. Took weeks of use to wear all of that crud off my bar!

I was cutting blowdown white oak in North Carolina and that stuff was more gummy than even ash or balsam fir. Took weeks of use to wear all of that crud off my bar!
[emoji106]

Ash cuts easy really, what is still standing is so dead it's dusty as could be, the 572's filter was actually letting some fines get past the filter too, Husky needs to chance to a better filter, or have a paper type element available for certain applications.

Alys funny when guys out west list the "hardwood" they cut.[emoji16][emoji111]

The Good Old "My Dad can Beat Up Your Dad" argument, just over who has the "Harder Wood" this time:rolleyes:

While I was in school, I had them all beat, MY DAD was 6'2", AND an AUDITOR for the Oregon Dept of Revenue;), My Dad, could Beat them Up, THEN AUDIT them when he was done:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Doug :cheers:

[emoji106]

As cuts easy really, what is still standing is so dead it's dusty as could be, the 572's filter was actually letting some fines get past the filter too, Husky needs to chance to a better filter, or have a paper type element available for certain applications.

Alys funny when guys out west list the "hardwood" they cut.[emoji16][emoji111]
I was working a log pile at the children’s camp where I volunteer in upstate NY. Got into some black cherry and elm logs that had been under cover for about 5 years. Holy crap that elm was rock hard. There were actually occasional sparks flying as I was cutting!

The Good Old "My Dad can Beat Up Your Dad" argument, just over who has the "Harder Wood" this time:rolleyes:

While I was in school, I had them all beat, MY DAD was 6'2", AND an AUDITOR for the Oregon Dept of Revenue;), My Dad, could Beat them Up, THEN AUDIT them when he was done:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

I know, I know.[emoji5]

When it comes to Hardwoods, I wood Love the Burning qualities of many Hardwoods, but for ME, I so MUCH prefer Processing our softwoods, Especially Douglas Fir.

What's NOT to Love about Nice STRAIGHT trunks, most not having branches for the lower 50-70% of the trunk, unless they were Perimeter trees, I see these pictures of a lot of Oak and what not with relatively short in comparison trunks, with branches, bent and going every which way, and a LOT of your wood is IN them branches:(, I can't help but think, What a Dayum PITA to process:(:(:(. It is really nice to park the splitter or trailer about 1/3 of the way up a large log, walk the log buzzing off branches, and rolling the big rounds to the splitter or trailer, Leaving the branches in the forest, Nope you guys can't touch us, when it comes to Processing the wood.

We get some Hot Dry Summers here, if CSS EARLY, D Fir and many of our conifers will season to stove ready in time to use that winter, OAK? I have many times heard guys here saying it really needs 2 years to season, I don't have several acres to devote to wood storage.

If I found a Genie in a Bottle, and he (with MY Luck, it wouldn't be a Young Barbra Eden;):() gave me a Bunch of wishes, one would be for a big parcel of land full of D Firs, with hardwood burning qualities, the Best of both world's. As it is, D Fir, Hemlock White Fir and Alder, are pretty much my reality, and heat my home very well, and I am Fine with that, I wouldn't trade the Headaches for the extra heat given the chance. A Mix would be Nice, but I see More Unicorns ON my Woodsheds, than Oak, Hickory or Locust in them;)

Certain varieties here grow straight as an arrow and split extremely easy, like Ash I mentioned above. Locust splits easy too and burns like coal. Hickory can be tough to split, but the way it burns it's worth it. White Oak is easy and straight, beech is another favorite. Pretty much skip over any fir trees or stuff like cottonwood, or any other poplar trees, just doesn't burn long in the stove. If that's all I could get, sure I'd burn it though. Zero Doug fur here, been told it's pretty nice burning.

Sad thing about Ash it's pretty much going to be extinct due to the emerald ash borer, a few species do seem to be resistant Blue Ash mostly. However for the most part they have all died in the last 10 years. The tree in the pic is actually a branch from the last standing Ash on my property, the trunk is about 60" DBH. Overall lost some 20 ash trees larg and small. The change in our weather has killed off pretty much all of the conifers in the area as well, the White pines are gone, spruce, even the ornamentals are dead. Too much pollution and global warming I suppose. Yeah I said it, hard to overlook when you see first hand so many species of trees dying off in an entire region of the world.

I was working a log pile at the children’s camp where I volunteer in upstate NY. Got into some black cherry and elm logs that had been under cover for about 5 years. Holy crap that elm was rock hard. There were actually occasional sparks flying as I was cutting!
You guys experiencing sparks with dead ash trees? I have heard that they have a high silica content.

Back