Check out this guy's Semi vs Full Chisel Speed Test Video. Full Chisel worth it??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Out west that's all many loggers will fell with, it's not all that common east of the Rocky Mountains.
This looks easy

He is using a triangular file which IMO makes it easier than a double bevel. However I have never done it before

What do u guys think?

Also how do you take care of the fillet with square ground, it appears to be a problem as it has a large point in there left by the square ground filing

This looks easy

He is using a triangular file which IMO makes it easier than a double bevel. However I have never done it before

What do u guys think?

Also how do you take care of the fillet with square ground, it appears to be a problem as it has a large point in there left by the square ground filing

The gullet I throw on one of my round grinders or I tilt my grinder slide and grind them back square.

Filing have fun with that I’ll do it in a pinch but I wouldn’t do it all the time it’s not cost effective or consistent enough for my liking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless the wood is very clean and softwoods, I stick with semi chisel. It just saves so much time and effort in maintenance.

159340544.udxz8kZN.jpg

The gullet I throw on one of my round grinders or I tilt my grinder slide and grind them back square.

Filing have fun with that I’ll do it in a pinch but I wouldn’t do it all the time it’s not cost effective or consistent enough for my liking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the info!

Good thread

So are you guys hand filing these? I hear it’s hard but imo just looking at it I don’t see how it’s any harder than round ground. What kind of file is used?

I’m now very interested in trying this

I've been hand filing round chain for about 12 years. Not saying I'm anything special at it, just have been doing it a while. Square filing is HARD compared to round. If round filing is simple addition, square isn't division, it's trigonometry. Fun to play with, yes, practical for a firewood guy, no.

Thanks for the information guys, I think I’ll stay away for the time being :) is rather put the money into a chain and file that I know how to use/sharpen.
Might tinker with the notion another year

After using full chisel for many decades on my 2100 saw my new 385xp came with skip semi chisel. I have to admit it cut much better than I expected.

Back