Compression tester

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes BJD , you did post this info previously this morning , good find . Good general information video . I agree 100% in what it express,s is what I previously have also advised . The basic cause of erratic compression readings on small engines is due to lower volumetric efficiency than larger automotive gas and diesel engines and improper testing procedures . Thus the necessity of a quality Schrader valve placed within the spark plug hole . I normally never require more than 5 / 6 pulls to get my readings within factory spec,s on a properly seated set of rings on a chainsaw. Snap on is a quality tester that I use with a glycerne filled guage . I find that the oil filled gauge is more accurate on small 2 cycle engine units , while lasting longer when subjected to the higher compression pulsations of my 4 cycle auto & diesel testing over time . Oil within the gauge also lubricates the metal parts in the unit and prevents moisture entrainment and fogging of glass . P.S. One other point to recognize within 2 cycle usage , is the potential for the Schrader valve sticking due to residual fuel & oil gumming . I always clean my valve with break clean prior to storage . Okie brings up some intriguing food for thought on the spring rates of various aftermarket Schrader valve assemblies !

Latest posts

Back