First Fire of the season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Temps didn't get above 51° here yesterday and the inside dropped to 61° so it was time for the 1st. These small pieces is all I really needed to get the chill out of the air. Frosty tonight so maybe another one tomorrow morning.

1st wood stove light of the seasons.

Oct 8, 2012
Oct 19, 2013
Oct 11, 2014
Oct 3, 2015
Oct 9, 2016
Oct 17, 2017
Oct 14, 2018
Oct 3, 2019

cRcVsELh.jpg

Looks like my first fire will close to this weekend. Supposed to be low in the 30's and highs in the 50's. Got new firebrick installed in the Pacific Energy Super 27 stove and I'm ready. Had a few of the original bricks that were cracked but that's not too bad for 20 yrs of use.
754598486ea57c6fbfc2516e996796d2.jpg
6fc050ee1f3aaadbce418eb200bbfd43.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

First one was last friday for us. Only been doing over night burns with them square shaped trees ([emoji16]) that get hot fast and die out in about 5 hours. Been in the high 30’ and low 40’s at night lately. House has been in the low 70’s to 80’s depending on the room[emoji1787]

a491ac0496714d67a1b74e035cec912f.jpg

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

I have tasted diesel before when siphoning fuel. It doesn't taste as bad as it smells, but is so oily that you can't get the taste out of your mouth. Have to eat some bread to try and absorb the residue.

Here in Tennessee there are lots of new distilleries popping up selling what they label as moonshine. But moonshine is by definition illegal so if you can buy it in a store it is not moonshine. Real moonshine is made under the cover of dark, hence the name. Everclear (95% grain alcohol) is about the closest thing in a liquor store to traditional moonshine. If you got moonshine from some redneck up the hollow and it smells like diesel, it likely contains methonal and the oily colognes not to mention that the still probably isn't food grade. I am not saying that there isn't good shine out there, but the not safe stuff is much more common. If the government would quit tax gouging and let people live there lives, you would have more reputable people doing the distilling and get a better product.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Moonshine that taste like kerosene most likely was ran to hot. Everything in a moonshine mash has a different boiling point. Methanol and acetone distills at the lowest temps and is the first thing that you see come out of a worm. It doesn't taste like kerosene, it taste and smells like finger nail polish remover, and it is the stuff that will make you go blind. Fusel oils distill at a higher temp than ethanol and is what gives moonshine that oily film and can taste like kerosene. You need some fusel oils to get the taste of the mash, but to much, is, well its just to much. water quality plays a big part in how smooth the finished product will be. My well water was terrible for making shine. To many minerals. My buddy has good water and made good shine. He got busted early this year. He hadn't made any shine in about 2 years, battling cancer. He had a few gallons set back and gave a quart to a trader. Well the trader sold a gun to a under cover cop and they found the shine in his car. It was down hill from there. I still have a little hid back. My wife makes her tonics with it, but I seldom sample it unless I have a cough. best shine made from corn is using Mesa mill for the mash. The ground mill has been soaked in lime water and will give the shine a sweet taste. It is also ground like flour and will fermet fast and produce more alcohol than cracked corn or cornmeal.

Been down to 0* here for a few nights now (that's 32 for all my US friends)
Have had a few fires to warm the 1200 sq ft house and the cats are also loving it.
Dog likes the warmth too.
I'm burning a lot of Ash this year.
Had lots of Hop Hornbeam (Ironwood) last year
Have a few cords of Red Oak for next year.
Also have a couple cords of Sugar Maple, Cherry, and Elm for next year and year after.

Supposed to snow over the weekend. They got about 2ft just up the road in the hills.

Few morning have been in the mid 20s.

Still mid 70s here, evenings get cooler and cooler, but not cold enough to chill the indoors. Will move a cord or so of wood to dry storage under the deck tomorrow, then sweep the chimney. I'm in no rush. I've got beer to keg, leaves to shred, axes to test, more beer to bottle, and chainsaws to work on... At least it's cool land not so stinking hot outside...

First fire this morning (10/12). Got up about 06:00 to the sound of the gas furnace running - be having none of that just yet. Put a small load of uglys & soft wood in the furnace. Took the chill off nicely. Went outside and the thermometer on the woodshed said 29°. About a week ahead of last year.

Been down to 0* here for a few nights now (that's 32 for all my US friends)
Have had a few fires to warm the 1200 sq ft house and the cats are also loving it.
Dog likes the warmth too.
I'm burning a lot of Ash this year.
Had lots of Hop Hornbeam (Ironwood) last year
Have a few cords of Red Oak for next year.
Also have a couple cords of Sugar Maple, Cherry, and Elm for next year and year after.
how did the iron wood burn? as a kid I remember it being so dense that it would barely float when fresh cut and it being a real bear to cut with an axe (boy scouts...do not ask :) )

ken

Back