Multiple Widowmakers-Plan of attack (hypothetical)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Saw this behind my neighbors garage. I’m not getting into it but just wondering how you’d approach this. The higher tree has broken free from the trunk

87152667-6EC4-4569-B2DF-AC5A89C4C82C.jpeg

The tree top in the front doesn't appear to be held by much but the one in the back looks like it still has some wood holding.

I would start by cutting chunks off the top of the rear tree to let it swing down.... the top from the front tree should fall off once its down far enough. Then snipe the front trunk off normally... then flop the rear tree with top still attached sideways (being real watchful of that top).

I am just a hack but that would be my initial plan anyway....

It's poplar, so I wouldn't approach it at all. Got little use for poplar.

But if you had to get that stuff on the ground, either put a line on one and pull it, or begin cutting chunks away from the ground end--this only if you know what you're doing and won't get either the saw pinched or your head clunked. Can be done, but not recommended unless you know what's going to happen before you cut.

The tree top in the front doesn't appear to be held by much but the one in the back looks like it still has some wood holding.

I would start by cutting chunks off the top of the rear tree to let it swing down.... the top from the front tree should fall off once its down far enough. Then snipe the front trunk off normally... then flop the rear tree with top still attached sideways (being real watchful of that top).

Yes, up cut (to prevent pinching) the attached one in the front left of the picture, starting 4-6 feet from the ground. It will swing down, allowing the one resting on it to drop while it is held behind the standing tree. Don't watch the cut, watch the trees. I've had to do a few like this (though not as tangled).

I would like to get the tree that is detached out of the way first so I would cut that one down. I don't trust tree that are broken off so I want it out of the way first. Then clear a getaway path and then cut the other attached tree so that it falls the way it appears to be leaning which would take the other top with it in the same direction. There also appears to be a small broken off tree just behind the, both and if it is I would remove it first. And if you had taken the picture from another 10 feet back I might do it completely different. Another one of those cases where you have to be able to see everything within falling distance of where you are working. There are 100's of these in the bush I'm working in. I usually go into a new section with my tractor and bump stuff to knock it over.

Meehh not that bad. I cut lots of dead trees so I come across shiet like that every winter.

Start by cutting the broken top of the middle tree from the ground up. This will slowly lower the hanger while using the standing tree as protection. Once it's down cut the middle tree and it should go away from the pic given.

Keep on ..... Runnin' Load's !!

No way I would every **** with a hazardous tree, (poplar) that has no value.

If they're rotten, just use a chain-hoist. Attach a long chain to the broken tops that are already near the ground, about head hight, get some distance, then pull the chain with a chain hoist, and brute-force them free. The one that's still attached might pop free, or tear and break the main stem. Just get enough distance that you won't be flattened by the stem if it cracks at the base.

If they're rotten, just use a chain-hoist. Attach a long chain to the broken tops that are already near the ground, about head hight, get some distance, then pull the chain with a chain hoist, and brute-force them free. The one that's still attached might pop free, or tear and break the main stem. Just get enough distance that you won't be flattened by the stem if it cracks at the base.
Pulling the hanging tops to the ground would be my first step, whether it’s with a come-along or my SxS. It wouldn’t take but a minute to strap that whole mess and pull it to the ground.

Lets say all i could use is a chainsaw. I would put a small notch in the tree that still has wood attached and a shallow back cut. Then drop the tree with nothing attached into the whole mess and hope it pushes it all over. cant see how the tops are touching the ground but it might work. I would get it down one way or another. have done much worse. not bragging or proud of it though. safer to pull with a tractor and chain.

Latest posts

Back