moving logs with Goose neck deck over trailer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captjack

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have a 14x7 dump trailer and have been thinking about switching to a 24 - 28 ft GN Deck over trailer. My current use for dump is hauling logs from a yard to the farm for processing it works great. It seems that the dump trailer get lent to fiends more than I use it. I have been thinking that a Gooseneck flat bed trailer would be nice to have for moving my tractor around ( more farm use). 4 of my friends have dump trailer so I can use one with about 30 min notice. So my question is for those that use a flat bed to haul logs what are the good an bad points you have come across

Been there, done that. I wish I had pics....
Loaded 3 to 3.5 cords per load on a 24 foot trailer with a tractor. Unloading on the other end was more of a problem. Used ramps to pull the trailer up and make it lean a bunch to one side, rigged up a trip system and sometimes "Most" of the logs would roll off. It worked. Sort of.

I agree about unloading being the problem. Unless of course you have a piece of equipment at both ends. That's the issue I'm having right now. A friend offered me 30 cords of logs about 20 minutes from here. I can bring my tractor up on the deckover and load logs, but then how do I get them off when I get home? Need another tractor with a loader I guess, oh darn :).

I agree about unloading being the problem. Unless of course you have a piece of equipment at both ends. That's the issue I'm having right now. A friend offered me 30 cords of logs about 20 minutes from here. I can bring my tractor up on the deckover and load logs, but then how do I get them off when I get home? Need another tractor with a loader I guess, oh darn :).

Oh Oh, I think that I'm hearing the Beginning of a case of TAD, there;), and I thought that CAD/CSMAD were Expensive :surprised3:

Doug :cheers:

My uncle has that issue, he just ties logs off to something secure and pulls out from under them. Takes a little time but he makes do.

well I have a 6.7 ford diesel and have a grapple machine to load and a 70hp Jd loader tractor with forks at the farm to unload. Have any one you welded up log racks to use on the trailer ??

well I have a 6.7 ford diesel and have a grapple machine to load and a 70hp Jd loader tractor with forks at the farm to unload. Have any one you welded up log racks to use on the trailer ??
I use rough sawn white oak for stakes. Usually dont go more than a couple feet high when loading logs. If a man aint too clumsy unloading they last a good log time then get burnt in the stove.

Have hauled a bunch of logs on deck over trailers gooseneck and bumper pull works good. Have some channel pieces I slip in the stake pockets to help hold the lower ones on to start stacking. I just chain down good. I process all my wood at one farm so I have hauled many a load from the other farms up to 20 miles away. One of the deck overs I have is a pintle hook style with 30,000 pound axles under it haul a 941B cat loader with it. I have hauled some monster locust log loads with it behind a 200 HP farm tractor. I away's have equipment at both ends. I have taken a few loads to a buddy's place that had no tractor and we just used his pickup chain and a set of log tongs to unload then worked good.

Neighbor does it. Unloading isn’t too bad if the logs are straight.

Either the 2 of us roll them off with 6’ bars, or we’ll hook a chain to them and pull them off with his little truck.

Back